Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby darksniper » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
darksniper wrote:Shenmue IV will be produced by Sega under the Yakuza engine with a similar budget to the Yakuza games with lush 4K visuals with VR support. The ultimate Shenmue experience

Why use the Yakuza engine? Might as well just keep using UE4.

It would give YS more tools to work with. Having Shenmue under a proprietary Sega owned engine adds more authenticity to the game. It's preposterous that you can play VF5 in Yakuza 6 but not in Shenmue III.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:53 pm

darksniper wrote:It would give YS more tools to work with. Having Shenmue under a proprietary Sega owned engine adds more authenticity to the game. It's preposterous that you can play VF5 in Yakuza 6 but not in Shenmue III.

UE4 is just as full featured as the Yakuza engine, possibly moreso given how it's in a continual state of development and is meant to be highly customisable and multi-functional. It isn't the engine that adds "authenticity" to a game, it's how the engine is used.

I'm not particularly sure you'd be able to play VF5 in a SEGA-made Shenmue III either...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:16 pm

DoubleO_Ren wrote: I have a feeling Shenmue II will end up being the definitive Shenmue game, I think it will end up being better than 3. What do you guys think?

We basically have not even seen Shenmue 3 as of yet, I'll save my speculation on this for later.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Not a fan of the Yakuza engine for Shenmue purposes either. Sega has developed this engine to fit particularly well the vibes and edges of Tokyo, full of artificial lights and urban colors. We're pretty far from what Suzuki is targeting publicly for the Chinese environments of Shenmue III.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:44 pm

I don't see Sega giving a shit about Shenmue, even less putting money into it. They didn't even gave publicity to the kickstarter or slacker backer campaign.

About the engine, Unreal 4 is definitely better for Shenmue than the Yakuza engine.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:41 pm

They'll start giving a shit once Shenmue 3 sells well.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I don't see Sega giving a shit about Shenmue, even less putting money into it. They didn't even gave publicity to the kickstarter or slacker backer campaign.

I think that's a good thing, tbh. Involving SEGA in that way probably would have caused a bigger shit storm than the "OMG SONY FUNDING SHENMUE 3" falsehoods.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:45 am

DoubleO_Ren wrote: I have a feeling Shenmue II will end up being the definitive Shenmue game, I think it will end up being better than 3. What do you guys think?

We haven't seen Shenmue 3 yet (the tests we have seen don't count for me) so we can't say a word about it.

About the story, at first I thought Shenmue 3 would be a more slow paced game than Shenmue 2 but after reading last Suzuki's interviews I think we'll have more action and misteries solved than in 2.
Suzuki told that finishing Shenmue in Shenmue 3 would be too rushed so finishing in 5 would be fine. For this reason I think he will put a lot more content in Shenmue 3 than what he thought when Shenmue 2 was launched. Besides, he said in 3 he will resolve some questions about the story.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:49 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote: I don't see Sega giving a shit about Shenmue, even less putting money into it. They didn't even gave publicity to the kickstarter or slacker backer campaign.

I think that's a good thing, tbh. Involving SEGA in that way probably would have caused a bigger shit storm than the "OMG SONY FUNDING SHENMUE 3" falsehoods.

Coming from sega, the less has to do with Shenmue the better, this company is a joke today.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Hazuki00 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

Coming from sega, the less has to do with Shenmue the better, this company is a joke today.

If SEGA was smart they could win a lot of PR points if they backed the project like any of us. Say they gave 3M to the project to reach 10M. Everyone here would be happy and more inclined to buy SEGA products... especially if a Shenmue I & II remaster was coming.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby darksniper » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:29 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:

If SEGA was smart they could win a lot of PR points if they backed the project like any of us. Say they gave 3M to the project to reach 10M. Everyone here would be happy and more inclined to buy SEGA products... especially if a Shenmue I & II remaster was coming.

The reason why we are at the point we are now with Shenmue III is all because Sega is being stubborn to make the game on their own dime. I still believe Yakuza engine can be easily tailored to make a Shenmue game. Although this is subject to change, I believe they would have a better looking Ryo model under the Yakuza engine than the current one now. Things could change after PSX.

darksniper has received a thanks from: killthesagabeforeitkillsu
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:40 pm

darksniper wrote:The reason why we are at the point we are now with Shenmue III is all because Sega is being stubborn to make the game on their own dime. I still believe Yakuza engine can be easily tailored to make a Shenmue game. Although this is subject to change, I believe they would have a better looking Ryo model under the Yakuza engine than the current one now. Things could change after PSX.

There's nothing about the Yakuza engine that could make this possible.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:50 pm

This months UK Official Playstation Magazine comes with a 2017 calender. It was a nice surprise to see Shenmue as the December image.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: delvec19, Kiske, Monkei, Spaghetti, Yokosuka
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:42 pm

And today's tweet of Cedric can only confirm they'll release in december as promised!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: And today's tweet of Cedric can only confirm they'll release in december as promised!

The jury is out on that one, no matter what Cedric says.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III