Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby ShenSun » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:05 pm

love the shenmue artwork. Really hoping all of it is included in the upcoming artbook.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:48 am

Gematsu.com is running a poll for the "community most anticipated game of 2017".

You'll have to vote for your 5 most wanted games of 2017.

Needless to say that with this kind of poll (influential or not), any occasion is good to keep Shenmue 3 in a good rank.
http://gematsu.com/2017/01/gematsu-comm ... -2017-vote

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, Mr357, Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:14 am

MM press conference is tonight? I thought it was weeks ago. Not that I'm expecting anything Shenmue related.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:36 am

Peter wrote: MM press conference is tonight? I thought it was weeks ago. Not that I'm expecting anything Shenmue related.

It was, but apparently there is another one tonight in a fancy restaurant in Monaco.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:37 am

Non news then.

Carry on.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby johnvivant » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:41 am

this video compares the detail of the original dead rising game and its latest entry Dead Rising 4. although not directly Shenmue related, the level of detail and polish of the original Dead rising game really reminded me of detail in the Shenmue games.
things like the perfect mirror reflections and the clocks in the game world accurately showing the passing of time.

both Shenmue and DR1 were products of amazing Japanese engineering, and have a level of detail and care not often seen today. I think DR4 had a western developer and a completely different engine.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by johnvivant on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:51 am

Seems like yakuza 0 is better than shenmue III

It was all for NOTHING

naaaaaaaathingjjjs
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:25 am

shredingskin wrote: Seems like yakuza 0 is better than shenmue III

It was all for NOTHING

naaaaaaaathingjjjs

I've seen this shit so many times since Yakuza 0 launched.

It's a great way to pick out people who are ignorant to both series, and those who didn't play Shenmue II.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Music » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:48 am

shredingskin wrote: Seems like yakuza 0 is better than shenmue III

It was all for NOTHING

naaaaaaaathingjjjs

Shenmue III isn't even released yet. How could you say that? And besides, it will never be better. It's actually worse in every aspect and doesn't even hold a candle to the Shenmue series.
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:06 am

Sorry, but yakuza IS kinda the evolution of Shenmue.

It's a different pace, I don't mind that, but over the years yakuza delivered a lore that I don't think that shenmue can match.

We should expect a kinda indie Shenmue experience (and I hope a good one), while yakuza 0 is pretty much an amazing amalgamation of western and japanese design.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 am

shredingskin wrote: Sorry, but yakuza IS kinda the evolution of Shenmue.

I don't really know about that. Where Shenmue went left, Yakuza went right. That's probably a more appropriate way of saying it. Some of the surface elements are the same, but there are so many other areas where they diverge. There are areas of Shenmue Yakuza doesn't even approach, and others where Shenmue still comes out the winner (combat and its complexity, namely).

It's also an incredibly unfair comparison when the last Shenmue game came out four years before Yakuza even debuted, and people conveniently tend to forget those games were quite rough themselves for a while. It wasn't until 3, 4, and 5 where Yakuza got as polished as it is in 0.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Kiske, Shenmue_Music
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:55 am

Shenmue deals with the minutia of life, while yakuza ask the hard hitting questions of existence, that's a little where I'm aiming at.

It's not only that yakuza evolved the shenmue formula, but it does hit hard when it needs to, but is mellow when needed.

The fast paced action and over the top violence, mixed with those great cinematic moments, is what makes yakuza transcendent like the tao, while in shenmue it's always about sailors or man mo.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby delvec19 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 am

Yakuza is not even in the same realm as Shenmue IMO. It reminds me of a modern-day Dynasty Warriors lol.

delvec19 has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Music
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:41 am

You are comparing a sutra taco with a rifle man.

No kidding, shenmue did meditation simulator before it was "cool" (and mostly pointless because they suck).

Yakuza is ok though.

Really, the first time I saw what games could be was with Shenmue, there were some shit before (omikron, that david cage still doesn't know how to make games), mizzurna falls that did the whole shtick of "rememberbullshityoudeadgitgud"(that I didn't play), at around the time I can only think of SH2 (they just made a good story, and embeed the enemies/puzzles in it).

The other one is Zelda (that I played but didn't finished years later), and the thing was dungeons and obstacles.

Shenmue actually did the "stuff happens" masterfully. You still get surprised by story cues in shenmue, you can;t get that if you don't invest in routine.

Today you are questing, running around, and it's the same quest, or randomized bullshit. Hell.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Music » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 pm

shredingskin wrote: Shenmue deals with the minutia of life, while yakuza ask the hard hitting questions of existence, that's a little where I'm aiming at.

It's not only that yakuza evolved the shenmue formula, but it does hit hard when it needs to, but is mellow when needed.

The fast paced action and over the top violence, mixed with those great cinematic moments, is what makes yakuza transcendent like the tao, while in shenmue it's always about sailors or man mo.

I don't see how Yakuza "evolves the Shenmue formula". Shenmue is better in every way (not counting graphics). Also, the combat system in the Yakuza series is boring and repetitive. So although it may be fast paced, when the actual combat system itself is bad then the action will not be enjoyable.
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III