Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Red Bull is everywhere anyway, their gaming coverage is impressive and they often make quality articles, especially about racing simulators (logically).

I think Ben Sillis is a Shenmue fan. He's written an article about things he wanted to see in Shenmue 3 some months ago. I just saw another article from Pete Dreyer about Sega Classics btw.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Wow, this could really lead to something exciting, would love to hear a potential partnership where shenmue gets more funding support for product placement (as long as it's not too obtrusive/detrimental to the game).

I hate to think how the media would react to such news though, but screw them, they're not getting between us and the game...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: cham69
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:58 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: Wow, this could really lead to something exciting, would love to hear a potential partnership where shenmue gets more funding support for product placement (as long as it's not too obtrusive/detrimental to the game).

I hate to think how the media would react to such news though, but screw them, they're not getting between us and the game...

Time for YS.net to get in contact with Coca Cola and Timex!

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Postby ys » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:28 pm

I didn't know that they had a gaming section. And is it just me or is this article higher quality than a lot of what's coming from the "real" gaming media? I also thought that about Forbes who at times had more integrity than regular gaming sites.

Sonoshee wrote:It was also wonderful to hear how Yu wants to progress QTE's to a new level. IMO, Shenmue is one of the very few games that got QTE's right. It proved how powerful a component they can be when used in the correct context. Today games just seem to throw them in for whatever reason.

I saw them first in Shenmue and honestly still find them to be executed best there. I remember playing other games afterwards and thinking that their QTE's weren't good or pointless. Resident Evil 4 was one such example, including short delays when pressing the buttons.

ys has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:47 pm

ys wrote:I didn't know that they had a gaming section. And is it just me or is this article higher quality than a lot of what's coming from the "real" gaming media? I also thought that about Forbes who at times had more integrity than regular gaming sites.

Sonoshee wrote:It was also wonderful to hear how Yu wants to progress QTE's to a new level. IMO, Shenmue is one of the very few games that got QTE's right. It proved how powerful a component they can be when used in the correct context. Today games just seem to throw them in for whatever reason.

I saw them first in Shenmue and honestly still find them to be executed best there. I remember playing other games afterwards and thinking that their QTE's weren't good or pointless. Resident Evil 4 was one such example, including short delays when pressing the buttons.

Agreed. I think a lot of it comes to how it's presented and context. Shenmue always chose a button that felt relevant to the move where a lot of other games just show a random input.

The other factor that I think is more important is how it's presented. The buttons in shenmue were always prominent and big. In the HD era, many games like force unleashed, jericho and the borne conspiracy made the icon prompt waaay to small imo. Like the dev's didn't even like it's implementation...

These days you get games where it doesn't even matter if you press the wrong button (like in beyond two souls) sigh...

FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby life_247 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:40 pm

Im loving those screenshots with the HDR bloom effect turned way down. It looks much more like the Shenmue we know and love (I know a lot of people on the board were complaining about that).

Also I think Yu might be planning a little joke in there about the amount of time thats passed. Like if the game started or starts properly (the cave could be a tutorial type intro for new players with a few QTE's and conversation controls etc.) and theres some tonge in cheek moment about it taking a long time for someone to arrive or similar. - Pure specualtion

Also we have to consider the rest of the gang are following Ryo but are behind him so the game might simply start as the rest of them appear - possibly to fill in the story. Im sure there will be some thought put into it as SII started with Ryo stepping off a boat with little or no back story but it was originally 1 big game that got split into 2 and only arrived 12 - 18 months after the first (depending on region)
life_247
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Anyway I find the idea of storytelling ellipsis very class and attractive. While I still think that the intro will follow straight the Shenmue II end, many of us wondered how Ryo could evolve so quickly to be up Lan Di's level. The fact that Yu used the notion of time to explain the story might mean a lot.
It reminds me the fascinating ellipsis of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (however I hope the Shenmue ellipsis, if any, will not be as sudden as the Shaw Brothers' one :-" ).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Giorgio » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:21 pm

"Red Bull is an energy drink sold by Austrian company Red Bull GmbH, created in 1987. [...]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Shenmue 3 takes place in 1987. The wings are fluttering. Red Bull vending machines "confirmed".

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Kiske
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Kiske » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Giorgio wrote:
"Red Bull is an energy drink sold by Austrian company Red Bull GmbH, created in 1987. [...]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

Shenmue 3 takes place in 1987. The wings are fluttering. Red Bull vending machines "confirmed".

Makes sense :-o
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby SMDzero » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Maybe Red Bull gives Ryo wings and he'll be able to beat Lan Di?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Shenmue III