Ps4k and shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Ps4k and shenmue 3

Postby 7heavens » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:41 am

With the ps4k being rumoured. Do u think that shenmue 3 will be produced with the upgraded specs of the rumoured hardware? Will ysnet make use of the extra power that the ps4k is rumoured to have?

Would you be ok with production being delayed due to extra work going into the game to allow it to use the extra features of the new tech?
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Ps4k and shenmue 3

Postby Mr357 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:18 pm

It depends on what the PS4K turns out to be. Surely at this point they have to release the game on the PS4 everyone already has, so the only possibility I see (assuming the PS4K is even meant for playing better versions of games) is the PS4K running the PS4 version or its own at a higher framerate or resolution.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:59 pm

As Mr357 said, the game is being developed for the PS4, it has to be, otherwise we would have a hell of a lot of angry backers. The PS4 user's could still play the game, but it would be at a very big performance hit if it was dev'd with the higher specs in mind. If Yu wants to take advantage of the higher spec hardware of the "PS4K" (which IMO is a very misguided name) he will have to patch the game in able to do so.

Quote from the most recent rumor:
"It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer"

This would be a cool thing that he could do after the game has released just to up the res/fps (the engine already supports this I believe, as the PC version will take advance of higher specs).

If you are interested in the "PS4K" then I really recommend this digital foundry video as it clears up some reasons why there is noway that this new version of the PS4 will be ruining native games (good looking games) in 4k, and is most likely just a slight increase in GPU power to help with the PSVR or maybe to add some new technologies such a 4k video decoding.
phpBB [video]

Its a great video, very interesting, and easy to understand.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Is this not being developed for PC also? So surely it will come in 4k resolution?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby SheepheadCG » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Yep. Unreal 4 supports 4k, however as I said above, the game will have to have a specific patch to take advantage of the increased specs of the "PS4K". I hate the name so much lol The GPU is rumoured to have 2 times the power, and the PS4 can barely run games at 1080p/30 anyways. How is a 2 time boost (without even mentioning the CPU bottleneck), going to be able to push a resolution that is 4 times 1080p with the same frame rate?

It's a really strange situation, as hardly anyone has a 4k Tv at the moment, so not many people would see the increased pixel density anyways. IMO, it would be better for devs to use the extra power to get 1080/60 or add extra effects/Npcs to their games, which I am betting a lot of devs will do.

Either way, if they Devs create games with this new spec in mind there will be a plus side for PC gamers as the PC version of these games won't be as downgraded as we are used to :P

SheepheadCG has received a thanks from: Mr357
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: It's a really strange situation, as hardly anyone has a 4k Tv at the moment, so not many people would see the increased pixel density anyways.

See this is the thing. I don't care about 4k at the moment because I would need to upgrade my TV. But, if Shennue 3 was going to work in 4k then I would be upgrading my TV just for that.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Shenmue 3 on PC is expected by Cédric to be the best version by far.

situation 1:
Shenmue III PS4: the standard version (quality work by YS net, constant 30 fps, original textures etc.)
Shenmue III PC/PS4K: very smooth conversion, 60fps easily reachable, pretty the same textures

situation 2:
Shenmue III PS4: lot of aliasing, 25-30 fps, medium textures, lags etc.
Shenmue PS4K : 60 fps, hi-res
Shenmue III PC: the standard version (original faces, constant 30fps, original textures, etc.)

situation 3:
Shenmue III PS4: lot of aliasing, 25-30 fps, medium textures, lags etc.
Shenmue III PS4K: smoother version
SHenmue III PC: almost a new version with all the features that YSnet cannot implement in PS4 : gameplays, sub-chapters, more NPCs, better AI, original graphics data, etc. Somehow what's expected for Final Fantasy XV according Tabata if his game has to be released on PC.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Yokosuka wrote:Shenmue 3 on PC is expected by Cédric to be the best version by far.

Remind me whose company is responsible for publishing and marketing the PC version? :D
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby SMDzero » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:33 pm

Maybe in the 4K version they can use the original logo?

I think with the added resolution 4K provides, making the cursive writing legible should be easy.

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:58 pm

With budget/time being a big concerns for shenmue i don't think we would, unless sony pony's up the extra cash or if upscaling is as easy as adjusting resolution.

It depends really on what the ps4k actually ends up being, it could just be a console that supports bluray 4k discs and vr a little better for all we know...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:47 am

You know you're getting old when not only are new consoles out but you haven't dived in yet and are still waiting for a bigger price drop, but when they start doing mid-gen SKU refreshes and the like you're still playing your PS3 and PC backlog from last gen with few exceptions lol.

As such, I'm not personally concerned about it. Just so it will still be playable on both PC and the current PS4 models in the wild, anything else they choose to do with any speculative beefed up performance is gravy and not something that will concern me, as I'll be doing good just to get a stock PS4 lol.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Benjamin Berget » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:16 am

Hello,
I think Shenmue 3 may well benefit from the graphical advantages of PS4K. Especially because the developement of the game is not over, and PS4K will be installed among players end of 2017.

Watch New 3DS: Some games work better than the old 3DS, Hyrule Warriors Legends and Majora's Mask for example.
Benjamin Berget
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby 7heavens » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:24 am

When more information about the ps4.5/ps4k is released, maybe someone can ask yu suzuki about whether he will enhance shenmue 3 based on the upgrade.
7heavens

Postby Amir » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:47 am

PS4 games will only run better on PS4K via patches, not automatically through being played on the hardware.

I doubt Ys Net has the resources to make significant changes for PS4K users, what I could see happening is having the PS4K version run at 60fps vs. the PS4 version's targeted 30fps.

Amir has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Amir » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:28 pm

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sourc ... 1100-5437/

Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console.

Games running in NEO mode will be able to use the hardware upgrades (and an additional 512 MiB in the memory budget) to offer increased and more stable frame rate and higher visual fidelity, at least when those games run at 1080p on HDTVs. The NEO will also support 4K image output, but games themselves are not required to be 4K native.

In the documents we’ve received, Sony offers suggestions for reaching 4K/UltraHD resolutions for NEO mode game builds, but they're also giving developers a degree of freedom with how to approach this. 4K TV owners should expect the NEO to upscale games to fit the format, but one place Sony is unwilling to bend is on frame rate. Throughout the documents, Sony repeatedly reminds developers that the frame rate of games in NEO Mode must meet or exceed the frame rate of the game on the original PS4 system.

So yeah, I believe Shenmue III could very likely run in 60fps on the PS4K/NEO.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Next

Return to Shenmue III