E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:27 pm

Yokosuka wrote: The playable demo is there. No public showing but a little private session can allow some journalists to share their thoughts. I suppose that's the most realistic situation we can hope.

That's even less likely, unfortunately. Journalists actually make their E3 bookings weeks and weeks in advance, and usually end up with tremendously packed schedules as a result.

I'm sure someone like Michael Huber would make time for Shenmue (though I've got no idea if Easy Allies are invited), but probably not any of the big sites that could give the game some publicity.

I think we've got to wait for PSX at the earliest to see the game in action.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:29 pm

Gameblog will be there.

About publicity, it's not the time, clearly.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Gameblog will be there.

Good point. I don't think it'd be wise to just pull in a room of Shenmue fan game journalists though. There needs to be a battle to try rehabilitating the idea of Shenmue III to the mainstream press, getting rid of the weird cloud of hate they've had for the project since its announcement and showing that yes, Shenmue III exists and it is good.

I think that battle starts next E3 though.

Ultimately the point still stands that we're two weeks away from E3 and Cedric still said "no". Would love to be proven wrong and the game gets a surprise showing, but all signs point to that not being the case.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:05 pm

In a normal situation, the lack of new footage (or appealing footage) would be relatively worrying.

But we know that YSnet has adopted a different way of creation against the mass trends (Agile vs Waterfall).
The likely Yu's focus on procedural generation with the "Dynamic Seeds" speaks volume about that. That means we can expect significant results only at a very late stage with the last months of development sure to be explosive in Gotanda. Not so different from the Shenmue 1 production conditions. Personally I never excepted anything for this E3.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:04 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Gameblog will be there.

Good point. I don't think it'd be wise to just pull in a room of Shenmue fan game journalists though. There needs to be a battle to try rehabilitating the idea of Shenmue III to the mainstream press, getting rid of the weird cloud of hate they've had for the project since its announcement and showing that yes, Shenmue III exists and it is good.

I think that battle starts next E3 though.

Ultimately the point still stands that we're two weeks away from E3 and Cedric still said "no". Would love to be proven wrong and the game gets a surprise showing, but all signs point to that not being the case.

In february, Cédric said (in French) that "he couldn't even say if Shenmue 3 material would be shown at E3".

Yesterday Cédric answered with this tweet to a question about a gameplay trailer at E3.

If he knew there would be absolutely nothing Shenmue 3 related at E3, he would simply answer "no".
He started his answer with "today" which for me means that Cédric has integrity and simply doesn't want to lie when asked about something specific, but at the same time, can't give away the surprise if there are plans for a "surprise" appereance.

I personally take the bet that WE WILL get Shenmue 3 related stuff at E3.
We are 11 days away from the Sony conference... we just need to be patient.

We can endlessly discuss about how usually things are handled by Sony, especially when it come to E3, but I think the Shenmue 3 case is different. It was the first ever Kickstarter launched during E3 if I'm not wrong and since people know Yu Suzuki pretty much started the project from scratch, this same public could be happy with some "work in progress" stuff.
Not because they want to know they are going to play it the day after the E3 ends, but because they need to be assured that their money if being invested well.

Anyway, wait and see :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:05 am

Just to reiterate what I said on GAF:

His answer was still "no" though, guys. The caveat of "today" doesn't really mean anything when E3 happens in two weeks time, journalists have booked their schedules, and Sony have likely planned the full extent of their conference with no time left to spare.

It'd be nice if it appeared, but please don't hold your breath everybody. I get we're still high on the fact that Shenmue III is happening at all, but our feet have to touch the ground eventually. Ten months in development is not enough time to have something presentable on an E3 stage.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:26 am

Seriously you should just ring a bell and wear a sign saying "BUZZKILL".

I will once again reiterate, people are free to feel what they want. We are all grown adults, of sound mind, and can think for ourselves. No one is disputing what Cedric said, and if anything, it's all down to interpretation. He was asked about E3 plans months ago and he said there were no plans. Plans can change. He was asked yesterday about seeing gameplay, and he said no. Gameplay is one thing. Other footage is another. Either way, none if us know what's going to happen or not happen. But everyone is free to look forward with optimism and hope for something Shenmue related, and as I've already said before, it's a safe bet that no one is going to jump off of a cliff if there's no Shenmue 3 news next week.

It's been a year long celebration thus far, and we will continue to celebrate until the day of release, and long after in fact. So please, stop trying to be a "voice of reason" type character around here. Voice your opinions until the cows come home, but acknowledge others opinions, and stop telling them what to do.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:54 am

Peter wrote: Seriously you should just ring a bell and wear a sign saying "BUZZKILL".

I will once again reiterate, people are free to feel what they want. We are all grown adults, of sound mind, and can think for ourselves. No one is disputing what Cedric said, and if anything, it's all down to interpretation. He was asked about E3 plans months ago and he said there were no plans. Plans can change. He was asked yesterday about seeing gameplay, and he said no. Gameplay is one thing. Other footage is another. Either way, none if us know what's going to happen or not happen. But everyone is free to look forward with optimism and hope for something Shenmue related, and as I've already said before, it's a safe bet that no one is going to jump off of a cliff if there's no Shenmue 3 news next week.

It's been a year long celebration thus far, and we will continue to celebrate until the day of release, and long after in fact. So please, stop trying to be a "voice of reason" type character around here. Voice your opinions until the cows come home, but acknowledge others opinions, and stop telling them what to do.

I know, and I'm sorry. I don't do it out of spite or arrogance though, and I'm not really telling anybody what to do. I don't know about Kiske, but I view our back and forth on whether Shenmue III will be at E3 as gentle sparring not some full-blown argument. He puts up his case for Shenmue III being on an E3 stage, and I try to poke holes in it, because that's our respective opinions on the matter. We go back to our corners until the next round, and repeat. There's no hard feelings over it (I hope), and it generally just keeps the thread lively.

If people are excited, nothing I can say will really stop them being so. This is the community that took a picture of a forklift as "SHENMUE III CONFIRMED" (and by odd stroke of luck we were right).

But Cedric still said "no" whichever way the tweet is interpreted, and I think we should probably take that at face value until he says "yes". Even if it does turn into a yes, it's probably too late for the conference. Maybe Sony's all-day livestreaming event could be where it appears? I dunno. I just think there needs to be a counter argument against getting hyped, even though I'm sure people have already chosen their sides on this (and truth be told, inside I'm a little excited too). A little scepticism never hurts however. :)

If it's annoying people, I'll bow out of this thread for the next few weeks. No harm, no foul.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:57 am

As I understand it, the thread is for speculation, and speculation that it probably won't happen is just as valid as speculation that it very well might.

At the end of the day, as Peter said, people are free to hold onto whatever beliefs and expectations they want and it matters not a diddle either way, so there's no harm in hearing the arguments both for and against. Nobody's being forced to adopt either view, and if they do change their opinion then that's a sign of not only a broad mind but also the kind of healthy discussion that a good forum strives for.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby LanDC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:09 am

You people do realize that Cedric is instructed to not spoil anything, right? Adam Boyes even stated last year, he almost had a heart attack when Yu Suzuki tweeted a photo of a forklift. Shenmue III will be on Sony's stage if it's there, and that means they have to play by Sony's rules. If you would have asked Cedric or Yu Suzuki the day before E3 last year, "Hey, are there any plans for a Shenmue III reveal at E3?" then guess what, your answer would have been a big fat no.

Furthermore, is it that goddamn difficult to expect something new to be shown? They managed to throw together a half-assed scene last year, before the first cent was given towards development. Hell, before there was even a team assembled. It's been over three months since the teaser at Magic Monaco. You're telling me that despite a team working around the clock, they can't come up with SOMETHING to show? Absolutely not buying that bullshit. I'll go as far as to say Shenmue III WILL be at E3. It's not going to be a 2 minute cinematic trailer, showing off gameplay and all that jazz, but we will see more of the game. Bank on it.

LanDC has received 2 thanks from: James Brown, Kiske
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:15 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Peter wrote: Seriously you should just ring a bell and wear a sign saying "BUZZKILL".

I know, and I'm sorry. I don't do it out of spite or arrogance though, and I'm not really telling anybody what to do. I don't know about Kiske, but I view our back and forth on whether Shenmue III will be at E3 as gentle sparring not some full-blown argument. He puts up his case for Shenmue III being on an E3 stage, and I try to poke holes in it, because that's our respective opinions on the matter. We go back to our corners until the next round, and repeat. There's no hard feelings over it (I hope), and it generally just keeps the thread lively.

If people are excited, nothing I can say will really stop them being so. This is the community that took a picture of a forklift as "SHENMUE III CONFIRMED" (and by odd stroke of luck we were right).

But Cedric still said "no" whichever way the tweet is interpreted, and I think we should probably take that at face value until he says "yes". Even if it does turn into a yes, it's probably too late for the conference. Maybe Sony's all-day livestreaming event could be where it appears? I dunno. I just think there needs to be a counter argument against getting hyped, even though I'm sure people have already chosen their sides on this (and truth be told, inside I'm a little excited too). A little scepticism never hurts however. :)

If it's annoying people, I'll bow out of this thread for the next few weeks. No harm, no foul.

No not at all, don't bow out of this thread or from the boards. You are a good member since you have joined. Just don't be as preachy that's all.

If you are a Shenmue fan, how can you not feel excited? This time if year just waves in nostalgia to the biggest thing that happened just one year ago. Cedric will say no. If they have a 15 minute behind the scenes progress report lined up for the confrence, do you think he is gonna tell us lol. He will not be allowed to say a peep. It's E3. He couldn't give his old "wait and see ;)" hint. Skepticism in doses is a good thing, but you must understand that we have had 14 years of skepticism. This is the first E3 that Shenmue is a legitimately teal thing. Our first anniversary. Cedric can say no and swear on a Bible and I wouldn't care.

And if I am wrong? So what, nothing happens. I still smile, get hyped for the next update, and ride the train into PSX, where is Shenmue isn't shown at E3, then use that as a positive to get even more excited for increased chances of a showing then.

Honestly man, I get what you are saying, but lean on skepticism too much and it will just come off as negative. This is party time, regardless of Shenmue 3 and E3. Both were, and will now be synonymous with eachother from here on.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am

Spaghetti wrote:

Let's be friends, m'kay? :king:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:26 pm

This may have been asked, but my question is: if there was Shenmue 3 material to be shown at e3, why would it be kept a secret? The cat was let out of the bag at Sony's conference last year, and now the game needs as much as hype as possible until release to help sell as many copies as possible. If they had something to show, hyping it up now would seem more practical than surprising us.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Kiske wrote:Image

Let's be friends, m'kay? :king:

Haha. Good summary!

Peter wrote:No not at all, don't bow out of this thread or from the boards. You are a good member since you have joined. Just don't be as preachy that's all.

If you are a Shenmue fan, how can you not feel excited? This time if year just waves in nostalgia to the biggest thing that happened just one year ago. Cedric will say no. If they have a 15 minute behind the scenes progress report lined up for the confrence, do you think he is gonna tell us lol. He will not be allowed to say a peep. It's E3. He couldn't give his old "wait and see ;)" hint. Skepticism in doses is a good thing, but you must understand that we have had 14 years of skepticism. This is the first E3 that Shenmue is a legitimately teal thing. Our first anniversary. Cedric can say no and swear on a Bible and I wouldn't care.

And if I am wrong? So what, nothing happens. I still smile, get hyped for the next update, and ride the train into PSX, where is Shenmue isn't shown at E3, then use that as a positive to get even more excited for increased chances of a showing then.

Honestly man, I get what you are saying, but lean on skepticism too much and it will just come off as negative. This is party time, regardless of Shenmue 3 and E3. Both were, and will now be synonymous with eachother from here on.

Mm. I'm probably overreaching. I do think the secrecy situation is different now that the game is actually announced, but there's always the chance there's something hidden up the sleeve, no matter how big or small. Cedric does love to tease us sometimes!

If it's all the same, I'll still take a break from this thread and come back after E3 has started properly.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Fair enough man, but you are always welcome!

It's the Shenmue Dojo, and we hoped and believed every year that Shenmue 3 would be revealed, and every year it wasn't. That was based on nothing. But Shenmue 3 is now a real thing, and it's birthday is 10 days away. It was arguably the biggest reveal of E3 2015. Would they just completely blank that this year? If anything we know the media are dicks and an absence would be noticed, and of course twisted into clickbait as per usual.

But we can hope. We can hype. The difference between hope being a good thing and a bad thing is this E3. Hope is nothing but a good thing, quite simply because Shenmue 3 exists. There's no bad ending here. There's no heartbreak. No bad news. If there's no Shenmue 3, then who is going to cry? No one. We have Shenmue 3 lol. We will have an update in a couple of weeks after, to look forward to at the very least. Shenmue HD I will grant you is a huge over reach, so that I wouldn't really hope for in the first place. But a piece of new footage? An interview/progress report from Adam and Gios trip in Japan. An injection to the Slacker Backer campaign, including the PC version (which Cedric has said will come). Model reveals, such as Ryo and Shenhua which they have been working on for an entire year! All of these things are very much in the realms of possibility, regardless of a single tweet of NO from Cedric, which LanDC has pointed out he has to do anyways. This isn't him in a position to give us a wink, this will be the big boy Sony stepping in and basically saying,"E3 is our biggest event. We need surprise like last year, so keep your mouths shut lads. No fucking about".

It's all good times man.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III