E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: E3 2016 & Shenmue 3

Postby fittersau » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:22 am

Glad I didn't take the day off to watch this E3.. Wish I did for last years one though!
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 am

fittersau wrote: Glad I didn't take the day off to watch this E3.. Wish I did for last years one though!

Next year ;-)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby DEVILLE_David » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 am

There was no real need to show Shenmue III during E3. They'd need a playable version to show something new or a real improvement but as they're still working on it, that was probably not possible.

We're still getting updates here and there, which is a good thing and Sony's E3 was awesome, let's be honest :

- Last Guardian
- GOW
- Bio 7
- Kojima's new project etc

I am not expecting anything at the Tokyo Game Show BUT they can still provide a new update during that time. Nothing official, just my guess.

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:07 am

I think many were hopeful Shenmue 1/2 HD would be announced.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Ziming » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:18 am

Perhaps we'll see something significant at Playstation Experience (PSX) in December?
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby SheepheadCG » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:05 am

I am happy they didn't show anything to be honest. Most games they showed off had either a super polished cinematic trailer or a trailer followed up with a section of live gameplay. Shenmue 3 is not far enough along to stand up next to games of that calliber at this current point in time. It will be next year, but not right now. A lot of developers complain about game shows and E3, as it drains so much of their time to prepare a stand alone build/demo. Yu is working to a very tight schedule already, so using valuable time to create something for this probably was not worth their time.

Saying that, I cannot wait until Shenmue takes the main stage again, be it at PSX, TGS or next years E3. I will be waiting to have my mind blown once again.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Kiske » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am

Ziming wrote: Perhaps we'll see something significant at Playstation Experience (PSX) in December?

I was reading "Gamekult.com" analysis of the Sony E3 Press Conference and three factors they mentioned drew my attention.

1. The Conference was of relatively short duration. Around 1 hour and 15min.
That means they had in mind to showcase polished products with big impact potential on gamers. With this in mind, the lack of Shenmue 3 isn't a surprise.

2. They didn't showcase Indie productions. According to Gamekult, they are shifting Indie games for events like the PSX.
If we consider Shenmue 3 an "Indie Production" and part of #buildingthelist campaign, it makes sense to expect something at PSX.

3. Last year Sony played the "Perfect Trio" card with FFVII Remake, Last Guardian & Shenmue 3. They basically didn't want to repeat this move. (According to Gamekult analysis)

All in all, Shenmue 3 at E3 would have been great, but we still have the monthly Kickstarter updates. And after all, we know that Shenmue 3 is coming. On the other hand, not knowing IF and WHEN Sega will announce Shenmue HD makes me nervous. I'm sure Shenmue HD will come eventually, I just fear it comes too late :???:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:07 pm

The monthly Kickstarter updates have been uniformly pathetic, unfortunately.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:07 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote: The monthly Kickstarter updates have been uniformly pathetic, unfortunately.

Calm before the storm, or at the very least playing their cards close to their chest. Game development is a long and laborious process, and it takes a long time for things to look "right". I'd rather take a few ho-hum updates over the game being shown in a way that misrepresents it and gives ammunition to detractors.

There's always tomorrow for an anniversary update anyway. It's been four months since the last big update, I'd say we're due a new look at some point over this summer.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SheepheadCG
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm

I hope you guys don't get offended by this post, but wtf am i reading in this thread? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did some of you really get angry because Sony gives a crap load of money to Kojima while Yu Suzuki needs kickstarter to make his game??? Well, then let me welcome you to the real world: Yu Suzuki (for as much as i respect him and love Shenmue to death) hasn't made a console game since fucking 2001, while Hideo Kojima has basically been printing money for the last 20 years and has a HUGE cult following.

Of fucking course they are treated differently, if anything we should be grateful that Sony decided to give support and prime e3 time to a series dead for 15 years that almost no one cares about. That in itself it's a miracle because let's face it, without the e3 2015 exposure there's no way in hell we would have gotten 6.6m pledged on KS.

So, imo before complaining to Sony we all should not forget where we were mentally 12 months and 1 week ago.

No offence really, but some comments i read here are out of the world. ;-)

Shenhua-Nani? has received 2 thanks from: -=SPZ=-47, SickOctopus
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:24 pm

True that kojima by name alone is pretty much a golden hen while suzuki is mostly a forgotten has-been in a lot of people's eyes unfortunately. Sony's help to yu suzuki probably has more to do with respect from veterans in the company than a financial investment. At least wait until suzuki proves he has still got it in him to criticise sony's investment strategies.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Jackie Harris » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Jackie Harris has received a thanks from: Jibby
Jackie Harris
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:26 pm

No word on those 'special presentations' that Sega has planned for their stage show, it looks like they won't be streamed at any rate. Regardless, it turns out that Sega Europe will be having a live stream at E3 tomorrow:

phpBB [video]

SEGA Central | E3 2016 Live!

Join Dan, Chris & Pete for a very special SEGA Central episode live streamed from E3 2016! During the stream we'll have special guests from Relic Entertainment, Sonic Team and we'll be unveiling news for EU fans of Sonic The Hedgehog! That's not all we'll also be giving you the chance to win a headset from our stream sponsors LucidSound! Ask questions using #AskSega for a chance to have your questioned answered live on the show!

Remember a true fan stays till the end!

Nothing in the description that directly indicates Shenmue 1 and 2 HD but still might be worth a look, since Sega Europe did earlier acknowledge that Sega was looking at how to bring Shenmue to modern consoles. But even if Shenmue isn't mentioned I think that this live stream will be worthwhile anyway; as I'm keen to hear more about both the new Sonic game and Dawn of War III.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:33 pm

we'll be unveiling news for EU fans of Sonic The Hedgehog!

Luckily for Brits this is happening before June 23rd, or we might have been locked out of the stream.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Jackie Harris wrote: Image

Heh. Saving this for future use.

---

Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense for them to maybe wait until after E3.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III