PART 1: Yu Suzuki Interview (May 9 Bessatsu Shonen Mag)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki Interview (May 9 Bessatsu Shonen Mag)

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun May 22, 2016 4:41 pm

That interview has me actually excited now, must admit I was kind of not feeling Shenmue 3 for a while then (not that I'm not anticipating it, of course!) it's just the that snippet of how detailed Suzuki and the team are willing to strive for with the design (where characters stand in relation to their actual relationship with one another, I mean...wow) just reminds me why I love these games so much all over again, which is all in the small details, the subtle things and has me legit hyped again for the first time since the initial announcement...those feels, man. They're coming back.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, VukBZ2005
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Skillz » Sun May 22, 2016 8:08 pm

Stay away or have forgotten about most stuff shenmue related and those feels would have never left. :P

Coming back after a while I remember when I saw the announcement, I was busy looking up gaming news because I remembered it was the month for e3 or that e3 passed. Oddly enough I saw news shenmue had returned and I did not care. yup I did not care one bit. I waited then came back checking up on news here and there.

people were constantly looking for news over and over again, that is why the feeling left them. I never lost that shenmue feeling, as I remember rushing home in the winter just to play the game.
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Mon May 23, 2016 4:32 am

Shenmue is all about the SMALL DETAILS!

great stuff Suzuki-san, much love. :heart:

johnvivant has received a thanks from: Giorgio
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 am

I want to add some thoughts, too, that the Shenmue series is all about the microscopic details, that communicate a believable world, which brims of human attributes in the deepest/spiritual (not in the occult sense, but at least in the metaphysical) form. Plus, it is uplifting and full of hope; the latter being the main drive of life. I feel like its world embraces and charms me with its atmosphere (a neighborhood, an exotic or a rural place etc). Talking with characters and observing their interactions is empathetic. Every detail communicates a message (being part of the story; historical, based on the real world etc). It's an inspiring/thought-provoking experience.

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: Switch, VukBZ2005
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Switch » Mon May 23, 2016 9:04 pm

It's interesting to recall what Suzuki had to say about a possible "intimacy" parameter, in a previous interview back in September last year:

Q: In this next game, it has been announced that there will be parameters that represent your relationship with Shenhua. I believe that in Shenmue 2 Fang Mei also had an affinity parameter - will it be something similar but more in-depth than that? [Editor's note: depending on how favorable her impression of Ryo was, Fang Mei would change how she called him, and special events would take place].

YS: Well, I hadn't really been thinking of Fang Mei.

Q: Are you able to give more details about the parameters for Shenhua at this point?

YS: I haven't finalised them yet, but I'm thinking of setting up around 3 parameters like level of trust, level of intimacy, friendliness toward you… something like these would be the top contenders. With a high level of friendliness, cooperation with Shenhua will go smoothly, that sort of thing. With the Character Perspective which will feature in the latter half of the game, if you choose to play as Shenhua, her true feelings will be revealed, and you may be in for a shock - "So that's what she thinks of me…!" That's something I'd like to try to do. (laughs)

Q: You might find she actually doesn't think much of you! (laughs)

YS: I think male players make up the majority, so I think it will be fun to introduce an element where they will think "Ouch!".

Q: Will the parameters be set up only for Shenhua? Do you plan to set up parameters for any other characters, such as Nozomi?

YS: It would be more enjoyable if there were parameters for other characters too, wouldn't it. For example if you get along too well with Shenhua, Nozomi may get jealous and cut your phone call short with a cool "Oh. Really….". I haven't decided the details yet, but I'll consider it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49050#p1116549

Switch has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby GYO6161 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:32 pm

Oh man, Shenmue is starting to become a visual novel harem with all these elements lol.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:54 pm

GYO6161 wrote: Oh man, Shenmue is starting to become a visual novel harem with all these elements lol.

Kind of true. This is awkward. I always saw Shenmue as quite a serious game. The funny parts like with Fangmei and romantic parts like with Nozomi are more like sidequests. To me at least. And now this "visual novel"-thing appears to become part of the game... I don't know... I hope it will not disturb the main story much.
Or it'll revolutionize the gaming industry like it did with open world. And it will be years ahead of its time and underrated again because we are not able to realize the potential yet... Yu Suzuki can do that.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:47 pm

This is what I love about Yu... and about many Japanese developers throughout history, in contrast to many Western devs. (Not saying it's a BETTER approach, just acknowledging the difference.)

We see here a focus on systems and concepts resulting in a sense of, or illusion of, complexity, granularity, and verisimilitude. Whereas many western games might take a far more straightforward approach (e.g. make it look really good graphically, make it extremely intuitive to use, make a nice transparent UI, and have everything be extremely clear and in your face - a sort of brute force, bigger is better, balls to the wall almost Hollywood movie like approach,) he's focusing - as always has - on the finer, more intimate details that make for a perhaps less "big picture" experience, but a more "close in" experience.

And THAT... is the very essence of Shenmue imo. The design philosophy and sensibility are thus definitely there. All that remains to be seen is the execution.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed May 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Has Yu Suzuki been playing Persona 4? Maybe that's what Suzuki meant all along about the series no longer being about Ryo Hazuki's quest for revenge after a certain point; it turns into Waifu Wars.

:biglaugh:

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu May 26, 2016 5:50 am

Wow, this will be a very realistic dynamic element that you see in very few games. I'm guessing Ryo will have the option to make some moves with the ladies this time around. No more Passive Ryo.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Previous

Return to Shenmue III