Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

Postby Sappharad » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:29 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
jcjimher wrote: My main conclusion after watching the video is that, if they are remaking the scene with Ryo jumping the rocks, they are probably remaking or re-telling Shenmue II Disc 4 (Guilin chapter) in its entirety.

So, the game will start with Ryo arriving in Guilin and meeting Shenhua, not inside the cave where we left.

Mm. I've seen this theory a few times before, and it's certainly got some strong evidence backing it up. Still, there's always a chance they're including the sequence for nostalgic reasons, but I definitely wouldn't shoot down the idea that Shenmue III opens with a quick recap of Disk 4.

What if next year's backer trial is just all of the content that they recreated from Shenmue 2?

When I watched the video this morning, I was kind of annoyed that they included the stone hopping QTE from Shenmue 2. Only because they re-created the exact same scene for the kickstarter announcement, so it didn't seem likely to me that they were actually working on that scene but rather just showed it to avoid showing spoilers. Probably not true, but I'm glad we at least got to see the rock scene as something new.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Monkei » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:03 am

I really don't get the hate for the mystical ending of Shenmue II.

1. There has always been the prophecy of the young man coming across the sea. Plus Ryo's dreams/visions of Shenhua. That stuff added a sense of mystery and the supernatural to Shenmue from the very beginning, before even pressing 'START' for the first time.

2. Shenhua's ki-attack, energy outburst, whatever in the Project Berkley trailer. Magic was always gonna happen, by the looks of that.

To me that was always one of the things that made the series awesome - to play in an incredibly detailed an realistic world, yes, but one in which you're looking for something more than that. That mystic stuff works so well exactly because Shenmue seems so real, making the supernatural that much more fascinating when it finally happens. Shenmue is not Sherlock Holmes or Scooby Doo. It's a japanese role playing game happening in real life. In a game. Kind of.

Sonoshee wrote:Yu stated in the past that the only reason they put the "in your face magical stuff" at the end of Shenmue 2 was because they feared they wouldn't be able to make a Shenmue 3 given that the Dreamcast was being pulled by Sega around the time of Mue 2's release (that - and the fact Sega wouldn't put anymore money into the series any longer). They wanted the ending to go out with a bang - even if it remained unfinished.

Do you have a link to that? Can we be sure he meant "we made that magical shit up to have a mindfuck-ending"? Might have been more like "we decided to let the game end at a point where the supernatural element we had planned from the beginning is finally being introduced properly"? It's always a struggle with these translations.

Anyway, retconning that ending would be sacrilege. And weak storytelling. I can't see them doing it.

Monkei has received 3 thanks from: Amir, Gavan, Let's Get Sweaty
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:04 am

Monkei wrote:
Sonoshee wrote:Yu stated in the past that the only reason they put the "in your face magical stuff" at the end of Shenmue 2 was because they feared they wouldn't be able to make a Shenmue 3 given that the Dreamcast was being pulled by Sega around the time of Mue 2's release (that - and the fact Sega wouldn't put anymore money into the series any longer). They wanted the ending to go out with a bang - even if it remained unfinished.

Do you have a link to that? Can we be sure he meant "we made that magical shit up to have a mindfuck-ending"? Might have been more like "we decided to let the game end at a point where the supernatural element we had planned from the beginning is finally being introduced properly"? It's always a struggle with these translations.

Possibly referring the 2016 Eurogamer interview with Suzuki, the one with the infamous "could do with more money" click-bait headline? Here's the relevant part, although we don't his original Japanese words to check the nuances:

Towards the end of Shenmue 2, more fantastical elements began to creep in, though. The floating sword Ryo and Shenhua come across in that Guilin cave always had me worried that Shenmue 3 would throw away the mundane in favour of magic. "When we made Shenmue 2, we knew it was the last one," Suzuki reassures me. "We decided to go out with a bang - that's why there are those fantastical elements in there! Also, in China and in Japan, there's a strong belief, like in England and with Stonehenge and the druids, we get energy from the spirits and the trees and nature. It's called ki, and it translates as feeling and emotion. It's not the same as fantastical fairies and demons - it's more to do with a natural, basic power. We're considering bringing that element into Shenmue 3."

Switch has received a thanks from: Monkei
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Amir » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:09 am

Ever since the Project Berkley video I think it's clear that the Shenmue series was always intended to slowly delve into more magical/mystical areas. I think we're likely to pick up right after the end of Shenmue II (I'm sure I saw a recent interview where Suzuki confirmed this) and the river-jumping segment is likely just Ryo and Shenhua doing the same thing again in another area.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Sonoshee » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:12 am

To set the record straight - I am also completely against retconning the ending of Shenmue 2. I was just offering an insight - with information I'd read from Yu's own words - into why the ending of Shenmue 2 was so suddenly "in your face" (even though I loved every moment of it). I was trying to reason with the views of others of it being "overblown". I agree with the many others here that Shenmue was always a spiritual game from the very beginning. I guess the fact that the game - up until the end - was always showcasing the spiritual elements in a more modest form - i.e. Shenhua levitating dandelions. So I can see the argument from both sides. But personally, I just want Shenmue 3 to continue from the cave ending.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, shengoro86
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:15 am

Just a thought - the rock jump sequence we saw from III didn't feature Ryo's bag. I know it's early, but the animations seem to be motion captured (which means it isn't a test), and Ryo's arms flail out when he jumps; meaning he isn't carrying his bag.

I think that's relatively conclusive evidence that the rock jump sequence is just a little nostalgia moment at the start of III, right?

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:04 am

Them recreating the rock scene doesn't mean anything. YS could have asked them to recreate that scene to test their abilities and... to be honest, it's just the same jump animation copy pasted three times instead of a on going fluid motion as shown in Shenmue II.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:40 am

Great update. Really exciting seeing the QTEs in development.

But.

That logo!!
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby johnvivant » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:51 am

i noticed that on Ryo's jacket the pockets and the patch have their own geometry rather than just being flat textures. that is some nice detail.

i am glad that there has been no spoilers, and I really don't want to see too much in-game footage until the main reveal trailer is released, which is probably some time away.

Pajamas were amusing. guess they are all carrying on AM2's 'sleeping in office' tradition to show their commitment, which is nice.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:04 pm

Another little something I noticed:

At 30 seconds in (going by the YouTube version), the switch to direct-feed gameplay includes footage where the watch placeholder and "This part is under development etc" text is visible, with a behind the back gameplay style camera angle. This isn't part of the QTE sequence that follows, and could actually be our first glimpse at FREE gameplay (at least, the run animation and the camera angle).

What this might indicate to me is that there's going to be a greater blending between FREE and QTE sequences, as you can see the player getting a run up to the rocks going in FREE before transitioning to cinematic QTE with that white flash.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:12 am

Am I the only one who dislikes the slo-mo crap in that rocks QTE?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:36 am

The slo-mo is basically the Freeze QTE 2.0.

Why not if the final result is really 'cooler'.

edit: I forget about the rock falls, the slo-mo had no sense.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:28 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Also -
the boulder sequence is in Baisha, and it seems the Free Battle idle pose is involved somehow at the moment, perhaps there's a battle on a clifftop?

About the boulder sequence -
I was wondering the same because of the idle Free Battle trigger. What if there's actually a battle on a clifftop and this battle includes one of the "High Ground Battle System" mechanics Yu was talking about in a past interview?

And finally, the «High Ground Battle System», is the interactivity with the surrounding environment. I want to create and add strategy and realism to the battles. For example, throwing your opponent on a barrel and making it break or hitting a wall and making it fall like a wave on your enemy. I'd like to create more complex battles using the UE4's physical phenomenon.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49223

Now, try to imagine a battle on a clifftop where Ryo gets overwhelmed by enemies. You can chose to fight to the death or can try to escape down the cliff. Unfortunately, you move a rock in the process and part of the cliff collapses. A QTE sequence starts: If you succeed, you live and part of your enemies get stuck in the rockslide. If you fail... well, you die.

I would love this kind of gameplay where you have multiple approaches for one situation and the opportunity to change your strategy in the middle of a free battle.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby shengoro86 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:56 am

So excited!!!!!

I just want to hug each and everyone of those developers.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Kickstarter Update 59 (I Guess, Haven't got the email ye

Postby Kiyuu » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Switch wrote:
  • Note 1 is titled "MVN Development" with some notes underneath. One looks like it might say "fly". Aha! That makes sense. MVN Studio is the name of the software used to develop with Xsens, the 3D motion tracking technology being used in Shenmue III.
  • Note 2: looks like business contact details, having a phone number, the name of a shop, name of the contact and an email address.
  • Note 3: is a single word with the number 1 after it. Er... I hope it's not a password as that would be bad security practice! (I won't give it here just in case).

Here's my interpretation:

Note 1: First line - "MVNのドキュメント化" = MVN documentation?
Note 2: The name of the shop - "ハウスコム五反田店" which is a real estate agent
Note 3: I don't remember seeing any PC-related password in ひらがな. It could be his personal shopping memo, when the 2nd note is apparently personal. "すだち" improves the taste of some Japanese dishes. ;-)

Kiyuu has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, ShenGCH, Switch
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III