Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #59 - Dev studio video

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Kiske wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
Also -
the boulder sequence is in Baisha, and it seems the Free Battle idle pose is involved somehow at the moment, perhaps there's a battle on a clifftop?

About the boulder sequence -
I was wondering the same because of the idle Free Battle trigger. What if there's actually a battle on a clifftop and this battle includes one of the "High Ground Battle System" mechanics Yu was talking about in a past interview?

And finally, the «High Ground Battle System», is the interactivity with the surrounding environment. I want to create and add strategy and realism to the battles. For example, throwing your opponent on a barrel and making it break or hitting a wall and making it fall like a wave on your enemy. I'd like to create more complex battles using the UE4's physical phenomenon.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49223

Now, try to imagine a battle on a clifftop where Ryo gets overwhelmed by enemies. You can chose to fight to the death or can try to escape down the cliff. Unfortunately, you move a rock in the process and part of the cliff collapses. A QTE sequence starts: If you succeed, you live and part of your enemies get stuck in the rockslide. If you fail... well, you die.

I would love this kind of gameplay where you have multiple approaches for one situation and the opportunity to change your strategy in the middle of a free battle.

You may be onto something. If this is how the Higher Ground system is implemented, that'd be seriously pretty cool.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Kickstarter Update 59 (I Guess, Haven't got the email ye

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Kintor wrote: Nice update, that rock slide QTE looks insane.

In related news, I can't get enough of that Jazz remix of the Shenmue theme. :)

Um... that's Flower Girl, a tape you can buy in Shenmue.

You've never heard it before? :|

Anyways, lovely stuff; I can almost guarantee (form my POV) that we will NOT be doing Disc 4 from the start all over again; waste of time and detracts from the awesomeness that it was.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Kintor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Truck_1_0_1_ wrote:Um... that's Flower Girl, a tape you can buy in Shenmue.

You've never heard it before? :|

Anyways, lovely stuff; I can almost guarantee (form my POV) that we will NOT be doing Disc 4 from the start all over again; waste of time and detracts from the awesomeness that it was.

Yeah, I've heard Flower Girl before; sorry if the wording of that sentence caused any confusion. What I was trying to get at is that I've never really appreciated 'Flower Girl' much until now, in comparison to the other versions of the Shenmue theme. I like the Shenmue theme best when it's epic and bombastic, like the orchestra version of the Shenmue OST. Hearing Flower Girl so often in these Kickstarter videos just helped me better realise how amazing the entire Shenmue soundtrack is, still some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard in a game.

Also, I agree that it's unlikely Yu Suzuki is remaking all of Disc 4. That QTE where you jump across the river could just be included as a flashback (or something similar) for all we know.

Kintor has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Switch » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:51 am

Kiyuu wrote:
Switch wrote:
  • Note 1 is titled "MVN Development" with some notes underneath. One looks like it might say "fly". Aha! That makes sense. MVN Studio is the name of the software used to develop with Xsens, the 3D motion tracking technology being used in Shenmue III.
  • Note 2: looks like business contact details, having a phone number, the name of a shop, name of the contact and an email address.
  • Note 3: is a single word with the number 1 after it. Er... I hope it's not a password as that would be bad security practice! (I won't give it here just in case).

Here's my interpretation:

Note 1: First line - "MVNのドキュメント化" = MVN documentation?
Note 2: The name of the shop - "ハウスコム五反田店" which is a real estate agent
Note 3: I don't remember seeing any PC-related password in ひらがな. It could be his personal shopping memo, when the 2nd note is apparently personal. "すだち" improves the taste of some Japanese dishes. ;-)

Oh yes, not sure why I wrote "development" instead of "document" for Note 1. #-o Perhaps he will be documenting how to use the MVN software for other developers in his team.

Seems like the other two may be more related to the developer's personal life :)

Speaking of the video in general, I much prefer the way they've kept the original voices with English subs rather than dubbing an English voice-over like in some of the previous videos.
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiyuu » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:54 am

Switch wrote: Perhaps he will be documenting how to use the MVN software for other developers in his team.

Possibly. According to this page, MVN itself is a "professional motion capture system." I'm not computer expert like you, but could he mean the hardware as well?
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:09 pm

Kiyuu wrote:
Switch wrote: Perhaps he will be documenting how to use the MVN software for other developers in his team.

Possibly. According to this page, MVN itself is a "professional motion capture system." I'm not computer expert like you, but could he mean the hardware as well?

Yes, it could be referring to the capture process too, couldn't it. With their smaller-sized project team the developers may get involved with the actual motion capture as well as the software aspect.

The note may give some more clues further down, if we could make out any more of the words.

Switch has received a thanks from: Kiyuu
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 am

Funny, the first dev had this video in his PC:
phpBB [video]

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Mr357, QuickTimeFailure
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:44 am

Every time I watch the Dev Room video, I'm kind of intrigued by the attitude of the young man at the end of the video.

Yes, the one in the background with the black t-shirt.

From his body language and the way he keeps looking down most of the time, I feel like he's intimidated (By Suzuki San?).

Is this (still) typical of Japanese culture and social behavior? A sign of respect?

Anyway, I find it fascinating because it reminds me a lot of Ryo's attitude in Shenmue.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:32 am

Yep, it reminded me when Suzuki disapproved the initial QTE sound for Guilin in the 1999 NHK's documentary.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Kiske wrote: Every time I watch the Dev Room video, I'm kind of intrigued by the attitude of the young man at the end of the video.

Yes, the one in the background with the black t-shirt.

From his body language and the way he keeps looking down most of the time, I feel like he's intimidated (By Suzuki San?).

Is this (still) typical of Japanese culture and social behavior? A sign of respect?

Anyway, I find it fascinating because it reminds me a lot of Ryo's attitude in Shenmue.

It looks like he's getting a lecture from Xiuying..
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby QuickTimeFailure » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Funny, the first dev had this video in his PC:
phpBB [video]

Holy crap, seriously? That's awesome!
A shame that he's using this crappy game as a reference for QTEs though :/
Maybe it's for how NOT to make QTEs lol.

EDIT: Oh wow you're right! I see it here:
A closer look:
Last edited by QuickTimeFailure on Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

QuickTimeFailure has received a thanks from: Mr357
QuickTimeFailure
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Crappy QTE games

Postby Mr357 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:26 am

Yokosuka wrote: Funny, the first dev had this video in his PC:
phpBB [video]

Damn, good eyes.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:34 am

Pretty sure Yu said in Eurogamer the only reason they went all out with the chi and mysticism was because they didn't think they'd get the chance to make III and just wanted to go out with a bang. For this reason, I expect there to be a retcon.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Amir » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:23 am

Himuro wrote: Pretty sure Yu said in Eurogamer the only reason they went all out with the chi and mysticism was because they didn't think they'd get the chance to make III and just wanted to go out with a bang. For this reason, I expect there to be a retcon.

It was in the context of why they added a preview of Guilin in Shenmue II. Mysticism/chi has been there since the Project Berkley video.

Amir has received a thanks from: Monkei
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Kiske » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:17 am

I've the feeling the next Kickstarter update will be (at least partially) about the Kickstarter Backers dinner.

What are your thoughts/expectations?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III