Sega Europe: Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes have our full attention

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sega Europe: Shenmue 1 and 2 remakes have our full atten

Postby mrandyk » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:38 am

Kintor wrote:
Peter wrote: It's not a case of that at all. That's the problem, they are not "doing" anything. Almost a year and a half later. Looking into licences for 15 months? Justify it, please, because it's either a case of thay they are dragging their heels, or have no motivation to put the proper time and effort into getting this thing going.

I respectfully disagree, just because we can't see anything at the moment doesn't mean that Shenmue 1 and 2 HD aren't happening. We're at an unusual time; it's just as long from E3 2015 until Shenmue 3's planned release date in 2017. I don't expect any major announcements right now. I figure Sega will finally announce there plans once the release date for Shenmue 3 has been properly confirmed.

I agree. Shenmue 1 and 2 may be happening right now but it doesn't make sense to announce or release them until Shenmue 3 is on the horizon. Sega will be able to maximize their return if they are able to release the remasters once the Shenmue 3 hype train starts rolling in the months leading up to its release, which is still a year away if the December 2017 release date stands.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Monkei
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kintor » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:59 am

mrandyk wrote: I agree. Shenmue 1 and 2 may be happening right now but it doesn't make sense to announce or release them until Shenmue 3 is on the horizon. Sega will be able to maximize their return if they are able to release the remasters once the Shenmue 3 hype train starts rolling in the months leading up to its release, which is still a year away if the December 2017 release date stands.

Yeah, I think it's simply too soon for Sega to announce Shenmue 1 and 2 HD. It would make the most sense to coordinate that announcement with any other promotions Yu Suzuki and (possibly) Sony have in mind once we get close to the 2017 release date. In hindsight, 2016 is just a fairly awkward year for Shenmue 3, past the initial E3 hype but also far away from launch. Still, 2016 is an important year none the less; Shenmue 3 needs that time in development to make it the best game it can be.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:10 am

It's worth saying that it's a bit foolish to dismiss "looking into" the licencing agreement as some kind of easy task SEGA are too lazy to complete.

There were multiple contracts, of various lengths, with companies very protective of their brand, that were written with absolutely no idea that one day this re-release option may be available, almost 20 years ago.

I'm not going to pretend to be even remotely educated in copyright or licencing law, but on the face of it, it's not an insignificant challenge.

It's also worth saying that they obviously can't divulge publicly the details of what they're doing while undergoing contract negotiation, so yes, the statements by SEGA are doing to be a bit vague. The important factor in the statements though are the repeated intent of making it happen i.e "full attention" "making them [Shenmue remasters] a reality", etc. Seriously, if they had zero desire to make this happen they just wouldn't be talking about it, like the many years before 2015.

Shenmue's record breaking revival was the ultimate egg on SEGA's face for ignoring the series for so long. They've had their slice of humble pie, and seem to be looking to make it right.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Monkei
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:51 am

I get that, and see how it can work out thay way, but again, this guy went even further to say flat out thay the project isn't even "greenlit". You don't hear thay often, if he had of left that comment out then yes I would be less harsh, but he openly stated that nothing is happening at the moment.

That's not a good sign, and again like Spaghetti, I am not going to pretend that I know about game developen, specifically HD remasters. But, we know Shenmue was 3 discs excluding the passport. Not one. That's A LOT of work. Also including the information we got a few years ago about really how much data is involved in this game, resulting in Yu and the team to invent a new form of data compression. How is a small development team, inside or outside of Sega supposed to have this all complete, if they started right now, before Shenmue 3. Never mind up scaling it to the quality they say they want it to be. Redub the VO, the music, redo textures, rebrand licenced products etc. I'm sure there are a buttload of other things.

Yes, I'd Sega had said this before Shenmue 3, I would be bouncing off the walls, and it would be a massive thing. Heck, even if they stated this last year after the Kickstarter, thay would have been the ultimate icing on the cake to end a great campaign. But over a year later and just over a year (currently) from Shenmue 3? Then I fear that the time isn't there for Shenmue HD to see a release pre Shenmue 3 release. I wish I could be more optimistic, and no one wants to see this happen more than me, but the reality is that time is not on their side.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Arjak » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Crazy Taxi's port is arguably greatly diminished in lacking crucial licences like the soundtrack, and their learning experience for that spurred them to work towards mostly undoing the legal knot that was Jet Set Radio's soundtrack.

I remember buying the PSN port of Crazy Taxi and being so disappointed that they changed the soundtrack. I could live with the store names being changed, but it's just not Crazy Taxi without "YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!"

Arjak has received 3 thanks from: Aimless Gamer, Mr357, Spaghetti
Arjak
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: Arjak
Steam: arjak
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby BlueMue » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:08 pm

Well they did manage to get the original soundtrack for the iOS version. So they do get it right from time to time.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Call me a party pooper but that interview is a whole lot of nothing....
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:28 pm

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Call me a party pooper but that interview is a whole lot of nothing....

Yes and no. Nothing is particularly new in the comments themselves, but the fact they're coming from as high up in the chain as European COO is something.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Spaghetti wrote:Shenmue's record breaking revival was the ultimate egg on SEGA's face for ignoring the series for so long. They've had their slice of humble pie, and seem to be looking to make it right.

If Sega would say something like this publicly, it would erase a hell of a lot of the sour taste I have for them from 15 years of bullshit. And I know the new CEO came out and gave an apology for the way they have "mishandled" their franchises and mistreated fans. I mean address the Shenmue fans directly, acknowledge they fucked up, and hell, maybe throw some damn support in for 3. They're already gonna get a slice of the new pie for licensing and possibly publishing, so why doesn't Shenmue exist in their bubble.

Unless I see a release date for the HD ports, or some sort of acceptance that Shenmue is warranted from them, nothing about them has changed in my eye. 15 years of Sega doing what they do best, regurgitate bullshit.

EDIT: Sega Europe doesn't call the shots. Japan or Bust...
Puffin_Chronic

PSN: Puffin_Chronic
XBL: purpleINDICA420
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Puffin_Chronic wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:Shenmue's record breaking revival was the ultimate egg on SEGA's face for ignoring the series for so long. They've had their slice of humble pie, and seem to be looking to make it right.

If Sega would say something like this publicly, it would erase a hell of a lot of the sour taste I have for them from 15 years of bullshit. And I know the new CEO came out and gave an apology for the way they have "mishandled" their franchises and mistreated fans. I mean address the Shenmue fans directly, acknowledge they fucked up, and hell, maybe throw some damn support in for 3. They're already gonna get a slice of the new pie for licensing and possibly publishing, so why doesn't Shenmue exist in their bubble.

Au contraire, Shenmue does exist in their bubble... when it suits their image:

"I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy" - Sega Europe's marketing director, October 2015.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Peter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 pm

After thinking about this a lot, and of course, applying the usual Shenmue fan scrutiny into every word it is a good thing that Sega have openly acknowledged Shenmue HD remasters, what their intentions currently are and what the problems are that they face.

But... for me personally (and I know we have said this many many times over the years) Sega is very much in the last chance saloon in regards to Shenmue and Shenmue 2. They have until the end of next year to step up, stop making comments and produce the goods. It's not rocket science or something that's impossible to achieve. If in another 6 months we get comments along the same lines, then I will feel very much justified to say fuck off to Sega. Their attitude towards Shenmue both pre and post the successful Shenmue 3 Kickstarter have been questionable, and that's putting it nicely, but we really are at the put up or shut up stage now. Shenmue 3 started the countdown timer, and the clock is ticking fast.

This is it Sega. You have one last chance to make it work. Please don't make a balls of it.

Peter has received a thanks from: Aimless Gamer
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kintor » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Puffin_Chronic wrote: Unless I see a release date for the HD ports, or some sort of acceptance that Shenmue is warranted from them, nothing about them has changed in my eye. 15 years of Sega doing what they do best, regurgitate bullshit.

You really should place more importance in what Sega Europe has to say. These days Sega Europe basically oversees all of Sega's operations in the West. Most of the recent developer acquisitions, along with Sega's emergence as a powerhouse PC publisher, have been at the initiative of Sega Europe. So, when someone from Sega Europe acknowledges that they're still working on Shenmue 1 and 2 HD it's a big deal. This little bit of news in a magazine interview should be welcomed, as small steps like this continue the restoration of the Shenmue franchise as one of Sega's most important IPs.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:22 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Au contraire, Shenmue does exist in their bubble... when it suits their image:

"I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy" - Sega Europe's marketing director, October 2015.

Nice article, I didn't realize the Euro branch did Alien Isolation. One of the few new games I've bought and enjoyed.

Kintor wrote:You really should place more importance in what Sega Europe has to say. These days Sega Europe basically oversees all of Sega's operations in the West. Most of the recent developer acquisitions, along with Sega's emergence as a powerhouse PC publisher, have been at the initiative of Sega Europe. So, when someone from Sega Europe acknowledges that they're still working on Shenmue 1 and 2 HD it's a big deal. This little bit of news in a magazine interview should be welcomed, as small steps like this continue the restoration of the Shenmue franchise as one of Sega's most important IPs.

Also from said article quoting the Euro marketing director when asked about the kickstarter-

"But their pleas were repeatedly ignored until earlier this year when its original developer Yu Suzuki unexpectedly announced a $2m kickstarter campaign in order to get Shenmue 3 finally made after Sega handed him over the license. The hugely popular campaign ultimately raised over $6m and became the sixth most funded campaign in the crowdfunding website’s history.”

“Yes, we want to innovate and back smartphones and virtual reality but our key purpose is to go back to what the brand used to stand for and I think the buzz around Shenmue 3 shows that people love our legacy,” adds Rooke, who says Sega is currently “exploring ways” to re-release the original two Shenmue titles."

That was a year ago. Same shit. No greenlight. "We are exploring ways", blah blah blah Sega.

They are always exploring ways to not do shit. Thats what Sega has done and will continue to (not?) do. Its like they have a script of talking points they need to feed the media when asked about Shenmue.

Beloved franchise? I wish they gave Shenmue 1/10 of the love they give Sonic. So sick of being forced fed new shitty blue hedgehog crap, knowing the great IPs that are locked away in the vault. Wait, maybe thats it! Sega locked all the good shit from days past in the basement vault, and lost the key. That shits impenetrable, and god forbid they come across as incompetent, so they retreat to "exploring ways, blah blah blah, Sega!"
Puffin_Chronic

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:41 pm

Puffin_Chronic wrote:If Sega would say something like this publicly, it would erase a hell of a lot of the sour taste I have for them from 15 years of bullshit. And I know the new CEO came out and gave an apology for the way they have "mishandled" their franchises and mistreated fans. I mean address the Shenmue fans directly, acknowledge they fucked up, and hell, maybe throw some damn support in for 3. They're already gonna get a slice of the new pie for licensing and possibly publishing, so why doesn't Shenmue exist in their bubble.

Unless I see a release date for the HD ports, or some sort of acceptance that Shenmue is warranted from them, nothing about them has changed in my eye. 15 years of Sega doing what they do best, regurgitate bullshit.

SEGA Japan's COO in November last year (ran through Google translate):

"Certainly "Shenmue" is to important IP Sega, as well as Sega, is a title that has affected a lot of games. In a closed world, you can go anywhere, that it can be anything, and I'll was a pioneer of open-field game. The Hiroshi Suzuki on it there was a strong desire to create a "Shenmue 3". Should make is making things really make people want, it is that it's creators with a focus on Mr. Yutaka Suzuki. Of course Sega might exchanges with Mr. Yutaka Suzuki, even now. We have continued to support also "Shenmue 3".

(he was also executive marketing producer on Shenmue)

Companies rarely apologise but this is about as close as we'll ever get.

It's already been said, but don't dismiss SEGA Europe. SEGA's bread and butter comes through their efforts on PC, which are handled by SEGA Europe. They have a strong influence in the company.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Puffin_Chronic » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
(he was also executive marketing producer on Shenmue)

Companies rarely apologise but this is about as close as we'll ever get.

It's already been said, but don't dismiss SEGA Europe. SEGA's bread and butter comes through their efforts on PC, which are handled by SEGA Europe. They have a strong influence in the company.

I have no idea what that meant;) Google translate is so bad. I'm more picturing some japanese guy in a suit bowing, saying "So Sorry!" over and over, but thats me, until then I guess that'll do.:)

I'm not discounting them, 15 years I never gave up hope, and 3 is coming. Sega has just jaded me over time, with little glimpses of glimmer of what once was a top powerhouse in the industry. I just can't stand hearing them repeat stuff year after year with nothing to show. But, like I said, there is hope, and I'll buy em day 1 if they happen, and shed another tear like I did when 3 was announced.
Puffin_Chronic

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III