Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:27 am

Hazuki00 wrote:I've just heard on radio that there were no damages nor tsunami thanks god.

A week and a day for the next update!

Hopefully no issues then.

Kiske wrote:Hey Spags, I was checking NeoGaf forums for PSX news and I came across this post from our Dojo friend "ShenmueGuru" :king:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=769

I'm shocked by the lack of reaction to his message in more than 8 pages following it. Now, I'm not GAF expert and it has always been kind of a strange beast to me, but is this indicative on how deep Shenmue 3 has gone in average gamers minds since E3 2015?

In a way, it would be even more great to have a trailer at PSX because it's apparently not that expected and would probably be the perfect "re-reveal" event for Shenmue 3.

Anyway... 11 days to go! :mad:

Yeah, basically nobody gives a toss about Shenmue III on there right now. The last news of any major note was, I guess, MAGIC. If it's not a big trailer/reveal event, then the average GAF user doesn't actually care. There's also a general hate-boner for Kickstarter projects on there that I personally think is beyond stupid, and coupled with the very small trickle of information about Shenmue III, there's really nothing substantial to talk about.

But y'know, Peter's post could also just have been passed over.

I do think Shenmue III has kind of become 'vaporware' in the minds of a lot of people despite knowing logically the project would have a period of submergence, and I've noticed the same on Twitter. Some people don't even know they're updating the Kickstarter, and I think that stems from the ignorance of only getting gaming news from the major websites who pull most of their content from forums anyway.... (GAF>Internet>GAF phenomenon).

Either way- a PSX reveal is going to put the game back on the map in a big way, I hope. It's all but confirmed that what Peter and LanDC saw in Japan will form part of the trailer, but of course with Cedric's comments about them working to finish something it's clear there will be additions too, so hopefully everyone gets a surprise on December 3rd.

Yu, Cedric, YSnet, and probably Sony too want to get the game back in people's minds sooner rather than later, and it's been clear for months that they've been planning ahead and working hard to meet some kind of December deadline which can realistically only be PSX. Point is- roll on December 3rd!

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Kiske
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:46 am

The Playstation and Pokemon generation is leading our world. Sega fans are a race in extinction, too busy to feed their own kids, themselves fans of Playstation and Pokemon. If not, they forgot how good Shenmue was and would still be with an updated engine and gameplay. Let's the PSX restore some order in that mess. In Yu we trust.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kintor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:10 am

Yokosuka wrote: The Playstation and Pokemon generation is leading our world. Sega fans are a race in extinction, too busy to feed their own kids, themselves fans of Playstation and Pokemon. If not, they forgot how good Shenmue was and would still be with an updated engine and gameplay. Let's the PSX restore some order in that mess. In Yu we trust.

There's no need to be so pessimistic, the legacy of Sega is alive and well in gaming today. For one thing, all those ports of old Sega games on PC, consoles and mobile platforms have done a wonderful job of keeping classic Sega games within accessible reach of younger gamers. Its little victories like this that go a long way towards securing Sega's future as a whole.

Which is frankly more then can said of Nintendo, restricted as they are on outdated hardware with a shrinking userbase. This coming March shall reveal the final defeat of Nintendo, when the Switch inevitably fails to find a place in today's marketplace. Now that will be a sight to see, Nintendo at last reduced to ruin while Sega continues to thrive in this new age!
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ianpm31 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:19 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote:I've just heard on radio that there were no damages nor tsunami thanks god.

A week and a day for the next update!

Hopefully no issues then.

Kiske wrote:Hey Spags, I was checking NeoGaf forums for PSX news and I came across this post from our Dojo friend "ShenmueGuru" :king:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=769

I'm shocked by the lack of reaction to his message in more than 8 pages following it. Now, I'm not GAF expert and it has always been kind of a strange beast to me, but is this indicative on how deep Shenmue 3 has gone in average gamers minds since E3 2015?

In a way, it would be even more great to have a trailer at PSX because it's apparently not that expected and would probably be the perfect "re-reveal" event for Shenmue 3.

Anyway... 11 days to go! :mad:

Yeah, basically nobody gives a toss about Shenmue III on there right now. The last news of any major note was, I guess, MAGIC. If it's not a big trailer/reveal event, then the average GAF user doesn't actually care. There's also a general hate-boner for Kickstarter projects on there that I personally think is beyond stupid, and coupled with the very small trickle of information about Shenmue III, there's really nothing substantial to talk about.

But y'know, Peter's post could also just have been passed over.

I do think Shenmue III has kind of become 'vaporware' in the minds of a lot of people despite knowing logically the project would have a period of submergence, and I've noticed the same on Twitter. Some people don't even know they're updating the Kickstarter, and I think that stems from the ignorance of only getting gaming news from the major websites who pull most of their content from forums anyway.... (GAF>Internet>GAF phenomenon).

Either way- a PSX reveal is going to put the game back on the map in a big way, I hope. It's all but confirmed that what Peter and LanDC saw in Japan will form part of the trailer, but of course with Cedric's comments about them working to finish something it's clear there will be additions too, so hopefully everyone gets a surprise on December 3rd.

Yu, Cedric, YSnet, and probably Sony too want to get the game back in people's minds sooner rather than later, and it's been clear for months that they've been planning ahead and working hard to meet some kind of December deadline which can realistically only be PSX. Point is- roll on December 3rd!

I don't think the average person (or Gaf user) forgot/or doesn't care about Shenmue 3 but it's more about that there isn't really anything substantial to talk about at this point in time. We know the game got announced with basically nothing to show for as far as gameplay is concerned unlike many games that have a debut trailer. We know it's in the oven and it's going to take time until we get something worthwhile to see that goes beyond the Shenmue enthusiasts interests. Hopefully, PSX will be the launch point for Sony with Shenmue 3 because it has finally reached a point in development where we can see some real gameplay (at least in some form) from here on out. Dec 3rd will hopefully be where the marketing push begins....
ianpm31
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 am

ianpm31 wrote:I don't think the average person (or Gaf user) forgot/or doesn't care about Shenmue 3 but it's more about that there isn't really anything substantial to talk about at this point in time. We know the game got announced with basically nothing to show for as far as gameplay is concerned unlike many games that have a debut trailer. We know it's in the oven and it's going to take time until we get something worthwhile to see that goes beyond the Shenmue enthusiasts interests. Hopefully, PSX will be the launch point for Sony with Shenmue 3 because it has finally reached a point in development where we can see some real gameplay (at least in some form) from here on out. Dec 3rd will hopefully be where the marketing push begins....

I don't know if that's 100% the reason. It's a strong contributing factor, but a lot of games we know basically nothing about still generate some kind of buzz, and that just isn't there for Shenmue III right now. It's flatlined.

I don't think that's a bad thing, though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:16 pm

Kintor wrote:This coming March shall reveal the final defeat of Nintendo, when the Switch inevitably fails to find a place in today's marketplace. Now that will be a sight to see, Nintendo at last reduced to ruin while Sega continues to thrive in this new age!

Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking your age?

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Monkei
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kintor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking your age?

I'm old enough to remember to the old ways, back when Sega games were released on Sega consoles. So when someone says that the Sega fanbase is becoming 'extinct', in part due to Nintendo of all things, I can more than refute that claim with a little dramatic rhetoric of my own. Besides, it's a safe bet to suggest that the Switch will fail, Nintendo is basically the laughing stock of the industry now, at this rate Nintendo won't be around much longer.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mrandyk » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 pm

Kintor wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking your age?

I'm old enough to remember to the old ways, back when Sega games were released on Sega consoles. So when someone says that the Sega fanbase is becoming 'extinct', in part due to Nintendo of all things, I can more than refute that claim with a little dramatic rhetoric of my own. Besides, it's a safe bet to suggest that the Switch will fail, Nintendo is basically the laughing stock of the industry now, at this rate Nintendo won't be around much longer.

Switch is their last shot at relevancy, in the home market at least, but it would be foolish to write them off already. Their handhelds have been incredibly successful the past couple decades and if they are able to find a way to bring that success to the home market through a marriage of their offerings then they will be sitting pretty.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kintor » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:53 pm

mrandyk wrote:Switch is their last shot at relevancy, in the home market at least, but it would be foolish to write them off already. Their handhelds have been incredibly successful the past couple decades and if they are able to find a way to bring that success to the home market through a marriage of their offerings then they will be sitting pretty.

The handheld market is in a tricky place at the moment, thanks to the rise of smartphones. Buying a dedicated gaming handheld just represents a bad value proposition, compared to a gaming capable smartphone most people already own anyway, when even a low-tier smartphone can run circles around the 3DS' aging hardware. This is why the Switch is a final desperate move on Nintendo's part; they're trying in vain to create a new market because they've been pushed out of both the home and handheld space.

Anyway, this is starting to veer off topic...

Not long now until PSX starts. Does anyone know if Sony will be streaming the main conference?
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:24 am

Spaghetti wrote:
ianpm31 wrote:I don't think the average person (or Gaf user) forgot/or doesn't care about Shenmue 3 but it's more about that there isn't really anything substantial to talk about at this point in time. We know the game got announced with basically nothing to show for as far as gameplay is concerned unlike many games that have a debut trailer. We know it's in the oven and it's going to take time until we get something worthwhile to see that goes beyond the Shenmue enthusiasts interests. Hopefully, PSX will be the launch point for Sony with Shenmue 3 because it has finally reached a point in development where we can see some real gameplay (at least in some form) from here on out. Dec 3rd will hopefully be where the marketing push begins....

I don't know if that's 100% the reason. It's a strong contributing factor, but a lot of games we know basically nothing about still generate some kind of buzz, and that just isn't there for Shenmue III right now. It's flatlined.

I don't think that's a bad thing, though.

Those tend to be AAA games. What are you expecting? People haven't seen gameplay and people don't know what to expect. A trailer would generate hype. Right now people have no reason to be hyped if they aren't already Shenmue fans. The same is true for other revivals going on like Psychonauts 2. No one on gaf is talking about that either.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yama » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:08 am

I would have went had there been confirmation, it's not far from me, but have been told it's not looking likely. Hoping to be surprised though.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 am

Yama wrote:I would have went had there been confirmation, it's not far from me, but have been told it's not looking likely. Hoping to be surprised though.

Ah shit... Say it ain't so, Yama!
i've been ridiculously hyped for this, if S3 doesn't show up I'll throw a goddamn tantrum
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:36 am

Almost one week to go and still no rumors or wink from an official on the web so I prepared myself for both possibilities as well.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:49 am

Himuro wrote:Those tend to be AAA games. What are you expecting? People haven't seen gameplay and people don't know what to expect. A trailer would generate hype. Right now people have no reason to be hyped if they aren't already Shenmue fans. The same is true for other revivals going on like Psychonauts 2. No one on gaf is talking about that either.

Not always. I've seen at least a baseline of buzz around indie and smaller titles.

Interesting that you bring Psychonauts 2 up, though. I think that would probably be getting more talk about it if Tim Schafer/Double Fine hadn't had such an already controversial experience with crowdfunding.

But like I said, a flatline isn't actually a bad thing here. It just sets the stage for an eventual reveal.

Yama wrote:I would have went had there been confirmation, it's not far from me, but have been told it's not looking likely. Hoping to be surprised though.

Hrm. Even if it doesn't appear at PSX, we do know through Cedric that the plan is to have some kind of picture/video update before 2017- so hopefully we aren't going away empty handed in December regardless.

I have to wonder how not appearing at PSX will impact the trial version. Yu said the intent was around Q1-Q2 2017. A December PSX reveal and Q1 trial version would be ideal for giving appropriate feedback heading into the planned December 2017 launch, but an E3 showing followed by trial version either confirms a delay or doesn't give enough time for the trial version to be worth it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:27 am

Kiske has received a thanks from: Jibby
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III