Shenmue III PC pre-orders begin on December 15 !!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III PC pre-orders begin on December 15 !!!

Postby Kiske » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:44 am

“Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production."

Final stage of pre-production, heading towards full-scale production.

If I remember well, Yu said not long ago that they would start full-scale production early next year.

Sounds clear to me.

PS. That said, Ryan Payton's tweet sounds like "don't get too hyped, game still can be delayed".

Kiske has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:19 am

You guys are right. The "pre-production" bit just throws me, even though I know they've worked like dogs for a year to put together a prototype.

Main production is the final step in their work flow before debug... it's just quite a large one...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:07 am

I have been able to see how in many websites some people encourage to everyone to not preorder (games in general) and of course, in Shenmue 3's news too. This leads me to think when the game finally comes to the stores it will be more sell than we may think. People want something to trust in and that's not a preorder even more without almost seeing nothing of the game.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Amir » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:19 am

Yeah, people have been burned on preorders a lot recently so I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to preorder Shenmue III. As long as the final game is good and sells well, that's all that matters.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:37 am

The media aren't actually making the distinction between a pre-order and the Slacker Backer drive, but whatever.

People will still find the site, and they'll still back if they want to. Was there this level of media fuckery when Double Fine started doing a Slacker Backer system?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:18 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Seems like semantics to me. Aside from debugging, full production is the final stage of the development workflow diagram, and anything before that is by definition pre-production.

Yeah I don't understand where the medias are wrong.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:32 am

The problem that I've seen is that the quote is being wildly interpreted in two different directions by some media outlets and their readers.

They're either saying production hasn't begun and implying basically nothing has been done for the past year and a half, or they're implying the game is somehow imminent. The reality, like with most things, is in the middle.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Switch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:47 am

Just to note that the English translation did capture Yu's words accurately. I've translated it similarly on my blog: "Development is in the final stage heading towards main production." I suppose there's room for mis-interpretation if people focus only on a selected part of the sentence.

Similarly, Suzuki didn't explicitly mention the Slacker Backer campaign in his message, just that PC pre-orders will be made available via the official site.

Switch has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, Kiske, Spaghetti
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:25 am

Switch wrote: Just to note that the English translation did capture Yu's words accurately. I've translated it similarly on my blog: "Development is in the final stage heading towards main production." I suppose there's room for mis-interpretation if people focus only on a selected part of the sentence.

Similarly, Suzuki didn't explicitly mention the Slacker Backer campaign in his message, just that PC pre-orders will be made available via the official site.

I mean, yes, this is all true enough.

I just expected something better in the way of background research to put proper context behind what Yu said. In that case of the Slacker Backer Campaign, it really is just as simple as going to the Kickstarter and clicking through the "PayPal Here" tab to get the gist of the situation and see it isn't a traditional pre-order.

In the case of what "full production" means, then that's a little more unclear if you don't know the workflow chart slide is out there, but it still seems irresponsible to flail in onto either extreme of "it's done" or "it's not done" based on that comment.

Oh well. There's nothing we can really do about it anyway. Regardless of the actual content of most articles, I've noticed comment section posters will generally see what they want to see and froth with rage regardless.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Switch
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:03 am

Regardless of interpretation, we can take positivity in that it seems mere reaffirmation of the existence of the game has spurred Backer interest.

Valascaziel has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Himuro
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 am

Exactly. The fact that it's being mentioned, and backing has gone up, is a good sign to me. I choose to take it as good news.

I'm always skeptical, so I'm still ready for a delay (I actually think it would probably be best for the game to see it delayed, but I could be wrong - as we have no insight at all right now into what exists so far.) But I think the fact that they've suggested we'll get footage soon-ish (sometime early next year... which could mean as late as March or April just to be extra cautious, and plans can always change even beyond that) and the fact that backing has increased with its mere mention, is a very encouraging sign imo.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:43 am

What's a Technical Design Document?
It sounds like a thing that should be in the early stages of the development, not the final ones.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Valascaziel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:10 pm

I personally feel a delay is imminent. I also feel that Sony will have a more vested interest in being up to par. They took a risk bringing it back; they can ill afford a MN9 or No Man's Sky.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:29 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: What's a Technical Design Document?
It sounds like a thing that should be in the early stages of the development, not the final ones.

I believe it's simply the blueprint of the final game given to the 3D modelers, the outsourcing companies and all the developers working at the bottom of the pyramid. Basically, the straight stuff to do over what we would call "production".
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 pm

It's what some developers call "bible", it's pretty much everything that the game "is", depending on the developer it can be pretty damn precise.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III