Securing Shenmue's future

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Securing Shenmue's future

Postby TheByrner » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:11 pm

After the long 15 year wait, the uninaginable happened, we were presented with the surprise announcement of Shenmue's return with its much anticipated third game of the franchise. Sony played and continues to play a major roll in this. Would Shenmue 3 ever happen without Sony? Unlikely. I am in no manner a Sony fan, however I am highly appreciative of their efforts on this risky project. They have played their part by investing in a project which was and still is a risky project to invest in.

Our job in the continued surival and completion of the franchise is making Sony's investement pay off. The obvious way to do this is to buy the game. However even just buying the game needs to be analyzed for the best results.

I, along with many others have used the Kickstarter campaign to order both the standard PC download version and the $120 PS3 physical version (The $120 version gives lots of extra perks such as your name being in the credits and the demo version). This is where the questions begin.

Do Sony benefit from the PC version purchase? Lets take that a step further, do Sony benefit from the PS4 version purchase? According to Yu Suzuki, the answer is no. He says that every cent donated to the Shenmue 3 project goes directly into the development of the game. That is great for us as fans as it will bring us a better experience in playing the game. However, this doesn't do much to ensure the future of the franchise.

I am sure it has worked out well for Sony in terms of them needing to invest less money in the game themselves (one would assume that they are investing themselves). However, no business is just about cutting costs, it is about making money. So if in Suzuki's own words, Sony is not gaining any money from the Kickstarter, you would assume the only way for this to happen is for people to buy the PS4 version once it is released.

This is what worries me. Shenmue fans are passonite and vocal about their love for the Shenmue experience. We were happy to pay our hard earned money to contribute to the Shenmue cause. How many of us are going to contribute to its future by paying again? My guess is, not many. How many people are going to buy Shenmue 3 that did not contribute to the Kickstarter campaign? My guess is, not enough.

We should continue to enjoy every moment that the Shenmue series lives, because if my thoughts are correct, that time has a fast approaching expiration date. We may never get to see the conclusion of Ryo's story unfold. We may never see Shenmue 4.

TheByrner has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
TheByrner
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: TheByrner
Steam: the_byrner
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Securing Shenmue's future

Postby khmlight3 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:20 pm

Thats why Sega needs to release Shenmue I and II HD!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Seriously, another doom and gloom thread. How do you know the game won't sell well?? Do you know each individual regions gaming age ranges? Their top selling genres? Have you seen Sonys marketing strategy for the game? Do you have a crystal ball?

Again, as I said in another topic today, all opinions are welcome, but this is just pure guesswork, with all thoughts going towards the worst possible outcome.

Where's the faith? Where's the hope? Wheres the people getting up off their arse and trying to do something pro Shenmue? That's what I am asking, but everyone else seems to be sitting around guessing the future, with bleak outcomes. What's happening to people in this world. I don't mean that to sound rude, I have been so shocked, baffled and frustratesd this past year in particular with not the comments section of Youtube or crappy gaming websites reporting misinformed information (that's to be expected), but it's own community of what's supposed to be it's hard core fan base. That's not just exclusive to the Dojo either.

Peter has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Music
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Shenmue_Music » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Peter wrote: Seriously, another doom and gloom thread. How do you know the game won't sell well?? Do you know each individual regions gaming age ranges? Their top selling genres? Have you seen Sonys marketing strategy for the game? Do you have a crystal ball?

Again, as I said in another topic today, all opinions are welcome, but this is just pure guesswork, with all thoughts going towards the worst possible outcome.

Where's the faith? Where's the hope? Wheres the people getting up off their arse and trying to do something pro Shenmue? That's what I am asking, but everyone else seems to be sitting around guessing the future, with bleak outcomes. What's happening to people in this world. I don't mean that to sound rude, I have been so shocked, baffled and frustratesd this past year in particular with not the comments section of Youtube or crappy gaming websites reporting misinformed information (that's to be expected), but it's own community of what's supposed to be it's hard core fan base. That's not just exclusive to the Dojo either.

Absolutely and 100% agree with you. There's no point in thinking about the worst possible outcome. Let's stay positive, it'll be better for everybody in the long run.
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:03 pm

I will admit that the future of the series after Shenmue 3 seems like this loaded gun out there looming over us.

I do fear a sinking feeling I may get after completing Shenmue 3 and then checking the web and seeing no news whatsoever about a Shenmue 4.

However,I think that no matter what Shenmue 4 would be the last game in the series.

Since it will be the last game, then if worst came to worst, a low budget story oriented final chapter could be released as a sort of epilogue game.
Last edited by SMDzero on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:04 pm

Oh and welcome to the Dojo by the way :nice!:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby TheByrner » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:05 pm

The point of this thread was to spark a discussion on the best way to secure the future of the franchise. Presenting the possible negative outcome was a way of inspiring ideas for doing that. I want to hear others opinions on the best way to buy the game.

I "got up off my arse" by buying the game twice and by trying to devise a plan with the community to avoid the potential pitfalls. I am hopeful, we all are, I hope. :P
TheByrner
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Peter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Good stuff. Well in no uncertain terms, the plan is to buy the shit out of it when it's released at retail. Least that was my plan. I planned to buy a copy a week and just leave them in public locations around Belfast. Had that idea for a while now and I will be doing it.

Peter has received a thanks from: Birty
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby TheByrner » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:20 pm

That's a great idea. Build the fan base, more interest, more security. If we all put some effort in, we may just see the storys conclusion on the platform Suzuki always intended. Rather than in a magazine or something equally as underwhelming.
TheByrner
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:44 pm

The troll in me says I should do a thread like "in the case YS gets run over a monorail..." But I'm lacking the edge to make it funny.

Look it this way: from the KS they get most of the money on the pocket (deducing KS/paypal fees and rewards), making a second one with the gameplay, an established workflow with the engine and some assets will be a lot cheaper to make a sequel.

It's going to do OK (specially since PC does have a longer life than consoles will all the bundles, sales and basically market), maybe even better than OK.

Also in the subject of PC, apparently UE has good support for steamworks, so if they think about making it easy for modders, can become one of those titles that keep growing with fan support.

I don't know, but I'm being optimistic.
Last edited by shredingskin on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:47 pm

Promote, protect, "sell", and buy.

Promote the series by making sure it gets in the news (includes the caveat that games journalists are lazy but we'll get to that), make videos, join in fan campaigns, and make sure the series continually gets in front of eyeballs (the Dojo's huge social media effort).

Protect the series by correcting shoddy articles by offering supplementary information they didn't do the research on, and use facts to dispel bullshit in comment sections, social media, and games forums. I've been doing this part for a while, consider it trench warware. Even if the ones posting the negative comments won't accept the facts, someone reading might.

"Sell" the series on its benefits, and the things that really matter when you think of Shenmue III. Digital tourism, a world that is rarely explored in video games, the soundtrack, the cool moments, the quiet moments, attention to detail, the combat, and most of all how it is a unique and intimate experience unlike any other.

Buy the game. Buy the game again. Buy the HD collection when it eventually comes out. Buy copies for friends. It sounds nuts in any other case, but I care for this series that much and I would literally not even consider this an option for any series other than Shenmue.

While the final quality of the game will dictate the overall health of the series going forward, we can at least offer support via the Slacker Backer campaign to help keep the funds rolling in.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Rob banks ---> get more shenmue
Kill your granny ----> buy some capsule toys

Now the really interesting and well thought part:
Stop masturbating----->Sell sperm----->Buy Nintendo---->Shenmue VII for new nintendo console---->kill fucking mario.

But really, the best we can do is astroturf a little, then the ball is in their court, if the game is good, it's a pretty well known as a cult game that it'll turn some heads.
For steam, updated games get back into the main page boosting visivility, a good modding community could bring more people to the game, be aware of various sales that happen in various sites (hopefully the game will also be on GOG/humblestore).
Also hopefully Sony will do a nice marketing push.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby SMDzero » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 am

shredingskin wrote: The troll in me says I should do a thread like "in the case YS gets run over a monorail..." But I'm lacking the edge to make it funny.

Maybe YsNet should just spend the 6.6 mil on a new monorail instead of Shenmue 3?

Well, Suzuki San, there's nothing on earth
Like a genuine, bona fide
Electrified, six-car monorail!

SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Karimov » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:53 am

i agree with this topic. securing is a big thing. look how messed up darksiders went? there should be some leverage

1. if yu suzuki gone or retired who is takin over the project?
2. who is to hold the IP once again. sega? ys?
3. and if so will they do something with it?

but you know these are what ifs and i cant do anything with them

what we can do is get the job done

shenmue3 plus major dlc which is basically shen 4 in the same engine
shenmue 5 as a whole new game plus dlc for shen 6
and the last shen 7 the last and best
Karimov
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: Elders scroll online

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:45 am

If Shenmue 3 sells well enough to commercially warrant a Shenmue 4, it seems unlikely that Sega will take the hands-off approach that they have with this one. They've let Shibuya Productions and, to a lesser extent, Sony, take the risk on this uncertain revival, but if the next game becomes more of a sure thing then they'll be much keener to have more of their own fingers in the pie. Cedric seems well aware of this from comments he has made in interviews.

Point being, it matters less which format people buy Shenmue 3 on, as the accountants we need to impress are Sega's, who will see no distinction between PC and PS4.

That's not to say giving Sony a return on their investment isn't important. I mentioned in another thread that I'll be buying my PS4 with a retail copy of Shenmue 3 to increase its attach rate in Sony's eyes. Even with Sega running the show, the support of PlayStation's Third Party Productions team would still be valuable. But let's not give the impression that buying the PC version is a waste of time for securing the series' future.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III