Part Three! YS Interview + images [DenFamiNicoGamer 26 Dec]

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Shenmue I/I/III images [Dec 26 interview]

Postby Switch » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:39 pm

sand4fish wrote: Oh there's also a concept art for the the Hazuki Dojo

Ah, must have skipped it, thanks. I'll add it to the OP.

sand4fish wrote: *Note the Shenmue name was not even there yet (left lower corner)

Yes, and in fact it is even labelled as the "Yuki Dojo" i.e. the family name of Akira Yuki.

Switch has received 4 thanks from: Anonymous81, Jibby, sand4fish, Sonne2
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:48 pm

Spaghetti wrote: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/12/yu-suzuki-interview-part-1.html

Bump. Part 1 translation published!

Ah! So much better than Google telling me Harada's response was "Goody!" lol.

Anonymous81 has received 2 thanks from: Sonne2, Yokosuka
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:56 pm

A "castle" in Shenmue. Oh my =P~

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:14 pm

Castle or fort? The drawing looks like the doughnut-shaped enemy HQ that we've seen in previous imagery.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:49 pm

More a fort but with enough structure to get the "castle" spirit inside, that's how I read his line.

It's in or near Guilin, a place surrounded by mountains. I don't think building a large fortification was necessary, if doable for defense and living from the original resident's point of view.

Meanwhile, Yu is still obsessed with his ramen thing. Ryo may not be able to eat but sure we'll get impressed by something related with food representation in this third episode.

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Switch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Spaghetti wrote: http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/12/yu-suzuki-interview-part-1.html

Bump. Part 1 translation published!

Thanks Spags! I was burning the midnight oil and didn't get the time to update the forum last night.

I guess it makes sense to keep it all in one thread so I'll update the OP with the interview links as they're ready .

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Castle or fort? The drawing looks like the doughnut-shaped enemy HQ that we've seen in previous imagery.

Yes, it definitely looks like a Tulou like we've seen before in the concept art, doesn't it. Guess Yu just wanted to keep it simple for this interview. Also I notice he didn't allow the magazine to publish a close-up shot of it. 8)

Anonymous81 wrote:Ah! So much better than Google telling me Harada's response was "Goody!" lol.

:D I was really tempted to use that in my translation.

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Hazuki00
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: YS Interview Part One + images [DenFamiNicoGamer 26 Dec]

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:20 pm

Thanks Switch!

This isn't the first time someone mentioned how Shenmue inspired or paved the way for GTA3... Has anyone at Rockstar ever admitted that Shenmue was an inspiration? Because GTA3 just seems like a 3D imagining of the older 2D GTAs... I don't feel it borrows anything from Shenmue at all.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:23 pm

The actual interview escapes me (maybe the Q&A session of his GDC 2014 talk?) but I believe someone on the GTA3 dev team told Suzuki this. Could have actually been the Houser Bros themselves, now that I think about it.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 pm

Spaghetti wrote: The actual interview escapes me (maybe the Q&A session of his GDC 2014 talk?) but I believe someone on the GTA3 dev team told Suzuki this. Could have actually been the Houser Bros themselves, now that I think about it.

That's really interesting. If you ever find that interview, please send it to me
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:38 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Thanks Switch!

This isn't the first time someone mentioned how Shenmue inspired or paved the way for GTA3... Has anyone at Rockstar ever admitted that Shenmue was an inspiration? Because GTA3 just seems like a 3D imagining of the older 2D GTAs... I don't feel it borrows anything from Shenmue at all.

I suspect it would be closer to the truth to say Shenmue set an early, ahead of its time benchmark for what (fully) 3D open world games could be, but that many different devs were already pursuing some vision of it in their own ways.

Body Harvest, developed by DMA Design which later became Rockstar North, already displayed some of GTA 3's design concepts.

The difference of course being that GTA and BH both focused on large vistas, vehicles, big picture scenery, and gunplay, whereas Shenmue is massively more focused on up close, personal detail, and a slow journey of meticulous interactivity.

Morrowind was also in development when Shenmue arrived.

Shenmue I feel influenced devs more through setting consumer expectations of what was possible. Though I'm sure there had to be SOME influence from a design standpoint as well, because it was just SO far ahead of its time.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm having difficulty locating the interview on my phone (I have a feeling it may have been 1UP.com's "Disappearance of Yu Suzuki" series), but Yu told the story of meeting one or both of the Houser brothers and being thanked (or at least credited/acknowledged) for Shenmue paving the way for games like theirs.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I'm having difficulty locating the interview on my phone (I have a feeling it may have been 1UP.com's "Disappearance of Yu Suzuki" series), but Yu told the story of meeting one or both of the Houser brothers and being thanked (or at least credited/acknowledged) for Shenmue paving the way for games like theirs.

Here buddy.

http://www.1up.com/features/disappearance-suzuki-part-2

But 1up seems dead. :(

Himuro has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:51 am

That's a real shame. Moreso that it couldn't be archived by the Wayback Machine "due to robots.txt" (which states by way of explanation: "Internet Archive generates us no value") - thanks for that, webmasters.

It's only gone down recently too, because the site was available when this went live in October, linking to an article there.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:24 am

Yokosuka has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, Let's Get Sweaty
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist