How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How long have you been a Shenmue fan? (Total votes: 63)

Since the release of Shenmue 1 1999-2000
75%
Since the release of Shenmue 2 DC 2001
3%
Since the release of Shenmue 2 Xbox 2002-2003
8%
since 2004-2006
5%
since 2007-2009
No votes
since 2010-2012
6%
since 2013 - 2015 (but prior to the June 2015 Kickstarter)
3%
since the June 2015 Kickstarter to Now (2017)
No votes

Re: How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

Postby Shenmue_Music » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:20 am

I've been a fan ever since the dawn of time!
Shenmue_Music
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:21 am

I don't remember how long before Shenmue release in Europe I knew about it, but I remember reading about Yu Suzuki's game in the french official Dreamcast magazine back then.
Bought the game day of release and did the same with Shenmue 2.

What I will never forget though, is my personal history with Yu Suzuki's arcade games.

I remember playing Hang On in the 80s, at the train station when myself and my family were leaving for our holidays in Italy. I was 11 in 1985 and twice a Year, I used to play Hang On before taking the train...
I remember asking my father to move the bike for me since I wasn't strong enough (or heavy enough?) to move it myself. :lol:

I discovered Out Run during one Summer vacation, on an italian bar/arcade on the beach, still in the 80s.

Probably my best childhood memories. (The summer holidays with my family, the sun, the sea, the arcades, starting to pay attention to surroundings bikinis... :heart: )

When I entered for the first time Yu Arcade in Shenmue and heard the Hang On Theme... I immediately went back to my childhood and probably shed a tear. :mrgreen:

I love Shenmue for many reasons and the arcades are part of those reasons.

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Shenmue_Music, simsatit
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Since 2001 but it wasn't because of any release that's just when I discovered the first shenmue game.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm currently playing Shenmue for the first time. I keep waiting and waiting, but the boat never shows up. I wouldn't call myself a fan just yet though. Too early to tell.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenBlue92 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Being almost 25yo and italian, the first Shenmue came out in 2000 and I was 8yo. My older brother bought it and I immediatly fell in love with it: I remember all my family gathered in front of the tv at Christmas day, astonished about how the game lookedeven though they were not into videogames at all. I managed to complete the game mostly on my own and then I think I did 2 other runs.
After some time I heard my bro talking about Shenmue 2 being in development and I remember being so impatient about it.
The sweetest memory I have of Shenmue is my 10yo self under the Christmas tree holding the box with Shenmue 2 inside still wrapped up; it was the night before Christmas . In our family it was tradition to open the gifts only after lunch on Christmas Day, so I had to wait. I remember my mother had to call me 3-4 times because I didn't want to go to sleep.

I think I played Shenmue 2 more than 20 times, but the same thing did not happen for the first one, because my brother managed to lose it; he lent the first 2 discs to a friend and could not remember who was it after a while. I was so angry!

When I got the 360 I bought Shenmue 2 and played it again.
6 years ago my European Dreamcast broke beyond repair and for a long time I refused to even try to look for a used one online.
On April 2015 I had this sudden urge to re-play the first Shenmue and I was very lucky to find the first 2 discs on Ebay (Those I missed) at a very cheap price; then I found a guy from my city who was selling a perfectly working European Dreamcast and decided to buy it. By the end of May I had completed both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 again after a very long time, and ironically enough, Shenmue 3 was announced about 2 weeks later at E3
ShenBlue92
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Centrale » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm

I remember reading about it in the year prior to its release and being excited about it, while not really having a full understanding of what it was going to be. But I thought the fusion of a fighting game with an RPG was a cool idea. I was fascinated with the idea of the day and night cycle, and different weather from day-to-day. I wasn't really sure if it was going to be my cup of tea, as I've never been that great at RPGs. Finally, when it came out, I was instantly immersed. It's interesting because Shenmue is such an atmospheric game, and I also remember well the real-life atmosphere of my room at the time and the nightly routine of playing through it.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Telekill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 pm

I first took notice of Shenmue in one of the issues of the Official Dreamcast Magazines that I had a subscription with. The issue was the cover story and I read through it and it sounded very interesting from a gameplay standpoint. The graphics at the time were phenomenal as well. I ended up preordering and buying day one which was no small feat. The closest game store to me at the time was a 45-60 min drive away. I picked it up and drove home. I put the first disc in and was entranced by the game.

I kept playing the game with every spare moment I had until I had completed it. I knew there would be a second game so I wasn't surprised when I first saw Ryo on a boat floating away and then the credits start to roll. I wanted more but when Sega stopped production of Dreamcast and refused to put the second game on Dreamcast in N. America, I was pissed. I waited years and a friend of mine was a big Dreamcast pirate. He offered to burn me any game I wanted so long as I provided the discs. Initially, I declined as I'm not one to pirate but then he started listing all the games he had and the EU version of Shenmue 2 came up. I immediately said "That one! I want a copy of that one!" He looked a bit shocked by my reaction. I asked him to burn me the discs right then and I would replace them the next day. He did.

I got them home and they self booted on my Dreamcast without any third party boot discs. I printed off scans of the disc and box art and made it a box to go next to the first game in my collection. It was a pain having to read the game's dialog instead of just listen but it was well worth it. Of course, we've all been stuck at the end of that game since it's release. Thank god a continuation is happening.

Shenmue still holds as one of my favorite series of all time and is the primary reason I hold on to my Dreamcast.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby ChiefNeo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Back when I lived in Chile, when I was 11 going on 12, I remember opening up a gaming magazine and seeing a couple of screens of the game. It looked so different and beautiful. No guns or action scenes were used to advertise...Just beautiful imagery.

I got the game as soon as I was able. my mom bought it for me, as my dad was away on a business trip. It was the first time she sat down and watched me game. I played for hours...And could not get enough of it. It got the the point where I was beating the game every weekend.

For shenmue 2, I called the game stores twice a day to ask if they had it, as the release neared.

Its a masterpiece. No other game has had the impact it had. Metal gear solid is a good second place.
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Himuro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:43 pm

I made a thread on neogaf once upon a time.

It was about a game called Shenmue. My friend let me have his Dreamcast and his copy of Shenmue. Both of which I still have.

I didn't like it at first and Ziming made a thread about it here which you can read here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30288

Anyways, despite the really bad first impression I was still captivated and kept coming back to it. Eventually, I warmed up to it. I remember saying I didn't love the game but by the end of it I was smitten. When I beat it I immediately started a new game. I never did that with games. I ordered a Gameshark Lite for Dreamcast and a copy of Shenmue II UK from Amazon. The rest is history.

My story is different from others here. I didn't grow up on Dreamcast. I was a Sega Genesis kid but went for a Playstation during the 32 bit era and had no reason to get a Dreamcast when I could just play Final Fantasy VIII and wait for a PS2. I read the reviews for Shenmue 1 and 2 in EGM so I knew what they were at least conceptually, and I had an idea of how 1 ended because it caused a lot of uproar at the time of release. But besides that, I didn't know what to expect since I didn't bother checking out previews for it since I mostly read Playstation oriented magazines like Official Playstation Magazine and PSM. So I missed out on the initial Shenmue hype.
Last edited by Himuro on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SlySpy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Himuro wrote: 2006.

I made a thread on neogaf once upon a time.

It was about a game called Shenmue. My friend let me have his Dreamcast and his copy of Shenmue. Both of which I still have.

I didn't like it at first and Ziming made a thread about it here which you can read here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30288

Anyways, despite the really bad first impression I was still captivated and kept coming back to it. Eventually, I warmed up to it. I remember saying I didn't love the game but by the end of it I was smitten. When I beat it I immediately started a new game. I never did that. I ordered a Gameshark Lite for Dreamcast and a copy of Shenmue II UK from Amazon. The rest is history.

My story is different from others here. I didn't grow up on Dreamcast. I was a Sega Genesis kid but went for a Playstation during the 32 bit era and had no reason to get a Dreamcast when I could just play Final Fantasy VIII and wait for a PS2. I read the reviews for Shenmue 1 and 2 in EGM so I knew what they were at least conceptually, and I had an idea of how 1 ended because it caused a lot of uproar at the time of release, but besides that, I didn't know what to expect since I didn't bother checking out previews for it since I mostly read Playstation oriented magazines like Official Playstation Magazine and PSM. So I missed out on the initial Shenmue hype.

That was actually a pretty good read, although I had to gather what I could from quoted posts, because I guess your original posts got deleted. It's interesting to see you slowly go from calling it one of the worst games you've ever played, to it slowly winning you over. You even had concerns about the second game until you tried it.

I had the inverse of expectations; I had no idea what kind of game Shenmue really was, and expected some form of beat-em-up with a more involved story. When I found out it was something else though, I think that made me enjoy it more so. I never had a moment of disappointment playing the first game, just a constant fascination and intrigue to see what happens next.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonne2 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 pm

fan since the beginning.
Sonne2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm glad you liked the read. Excuse my bad writing from ten years ago, please.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby abaww » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:57 pm

My first encounter with Shenmue was the Shenmue 2 Demo on Xbox. I think it was 2003, I was 13yo. I played that demo so many times, and I was astonished by the final game, it was simply (and still is) brilliant. I had the chance to play Shenmue1 later when I decided to buy a used Dreamcast on ebay (I think it was 2005/2006). Soooo yeah, it's about 10 years I'm waiting for Shenmue 3. :D
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Since the first screenshots of Shenmue in 1998 :D
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby SlySpy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm

Himuro wrote: I'm glad you liked the read. Excuse my bad writing from ten years ago, please.

Don't even worry about it. Didn't bother me, then again, all of your posts were deleted, so I only had excerpts, lol.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III