How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How long have you been a Shenmue fan? (Total votes: 63)

Since the release of Shenmue 1 1999-2000
75%
Since the release of Shenmue 2 DC 2001
3%
Since the release of Shenmue 2 Xbox 2002-2003
8%
since 2004-2006
5%
since 2007-2009
No votes
since 2010-2012
6%
since 2013 - 2015 (but prior to the June 2015 Kickstarter)
3%
since the June 2015 Kickstarter to Now (2017)
No votes

How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

Postby johnvivant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am

Just curious. Has anybody only discovered Shenmue and became a fan since the Kickstarter?

personally I've been following Shenmue from the beginning, anticipating the games release from magazine previews ect. and I bought it on the day of its European release and have been an ardent fan ever since.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: ShenGCH
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: How long have you been a Shenmue fan?

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:02 am

First time the game came into my consciousness was a trailer on a demo disc (remember those?) that came with Official Dreamcast Magazine back in 2000. Everything about the trailer blew my mind, but the sense of intrigue topped it all; I distinctly remember thinking 'What is this?...', in the greatest of respects, as I simply couldn't comprehend what it was. My brother bought the game shortly after it was released over here, and I fell in love with it almost immediately.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:04 am

Same here, I've read the magazine features on Shenmue over and over and over again, and I bought it as soon as it was available. Been a fan since.

I bought Shenmue 2 when it came out, but I returned it immediately when I heard the Japanese voices... I wanted the English dub so bad, for the sake of continuity... I bought it again, then returned it again... In the end, I forced myself to wait for the English dub and thankfully it came out eventually... I bought an Xbox just to play it.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 am

Rikitatsu wrote: Same here, I've read the magazine features on Shenmue over and over and over again, and I bought it as soon as it was available. Been a fan since.

I bought Shenmue 2 when it came out, but I returned it immediately when I heard the Japanese voices... I wanted the English dub so bad, for the sake of continuity... I bought it again, then returned it again... In the end, I forced myself to wait for the English dub and thankfully it came out eventually... I bought an Xbox just to play it.

I honestly thought there was something wrong with my copy of Shenmue II when I heard the Japanese dub and couldn't find any settings to change it to English :lol:

Not to mention, one of the jewel cases had a Sonic Adventure 2 back sleeve despite being a sealed copy, so that made things even sketchier!
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby delvec19 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:44 am

Was browsing a blockbuster in 2000 or maybe the end of 99? Then I remember reading about Shenmue, saw it sitting there, and the rest is history. Took it to my dads house, played all freaking night on his projection TV. Fell in love.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades

Postby celsowm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 am

I remember when I read in Brazilian magazine an article about Virtua Fighter RPG and I was very exciting about it.

When I finally bought a Dreamcast I went to very infamous place in Duque de Caxias and bought piracy (unfortunately) copy of Shenmue 1:
It was an amazing, an Indescribable experience !

And I also remember this very magazine about Shenmue: http://sebogamers.blogspot.com.br/2011/ ... enmue.html
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 am

I think a lot of us here are going to be fans from the early days, but anecdotally I've seen new players on GAF spring up who tried the game post-Kickstarter. There's definitely a lot of interest to try the series but the barrier to entry seems to be a lack of a remaster on modern platforms at the moment.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: celsowm
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:04 am

Since Friday 29th October 1999, around 3.45pm.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby celsowm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 am

Peter wrote: Since Friday 29th October 1999, around 3.45pm

Do you remember the exact date? Wow !!!
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:10 am

1995 or something around.

Shenmue in 1999 was only the exact materialization of what I always dream to see & play in a videogame, and it was made by the guy who shaped my vision of gaming in early 90's. I couldn't be happier.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Cyberman » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:16 am

Since 2000.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:20 am

I ordered shenmue 2 for dreamcast somehow. didn't play shenmue 1 but was all of a sudden so hyped for shenmue 2. I had a close friend who was a huge shenmue fan already. in fact they sold out twice through their pre-orders in the shop I ordered and I had to wait a few weeks and in the meantime I played my friends copy, who had already advanced to the third cd. eventually I got my copy and we played the 4th disc together. it didn't dawn on me until the 4th disc that this was by far the best thing I had ever played. until that point it was like one big dream where I couldn't stop playing. needless to say I bought shenmue 1 immediately after I finished 2.

no game has come close ever since. I also got a few people into shenmue. my girlfriend and before that another (female) friend. it always seemed so normal that this is actually in many ways the perfect videogame for girls so it was easy to get them into it.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby JohnBlack » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:43 am

I bought a Dreamcast in 2001(pretty late huh), and got SI and SII for christmas 2002.
JohnBlack

Postby mjq jazz bar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am

Since the day it came out in the States, but I was eagerly awaiting it the moment I first heard about it. I checked out The Magic Box (does it still exist?) daily for snippets of news and signs of the first reviews of the Japanese version.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Kiske » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 am

Peter wrote: Since Friday 29th October 1999, around 3.45pm.

Was it the day the snow turned into rain? Did you see a black car?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Next

Return to Shenmue III