Shenmue 3 due to ship along side Super Mario Odysee a worry?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 due to ship along side Super Mario Odysee a worry?

Postby Batosai » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Was wondering if Shenmue would have more success if it maintains its holiday release schedule for sales or if it strategically delays when a major title like Super Mario Odyssey is alongside it?
Batosai
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Shenmue 3 due to ship along side Super Mario Odysee a wo

Postby delvec19 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43 am

People also worried about Red Dead 2 for the same reason. We're all assuming Shen 3 is going to get delayed anyway so a Spring '18 release would be ideal for all parties involved IMO.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kintor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:47 am

I wouldn't worry too much about Mario Odyssey. If anything the Switch is going to have a tiny user base, thanks to its expensive $300 price point and lack of a pack-in game. Few people will ever play Mario Odyssey, unless it gets ported to more popular platforms like the PS4 and Xbox One. So, Mario Odyssey poses no threat to Shenmue 3.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 am

I think we had the same thread but with Red Dead 2...

They made a conscious decision to mark the release window at the end of the year because of it being a big spending period (which is why other games drop around the same time). No matter what it was always going to be up against other games, and they know that.

I mean, The Last Guardian released in December and held its own (relatively speaking, it outsold Shadow of the Colossus). That's a niche title, arguably more niche than Shenmue. Would it have sold more if it came out in Spring? Probably not. It's not hitting a wide audience in the first place, but it's not really in competition with the other games that came out in the same period.

But y'know, we'll see how this year develops. Shenmue III could quite easily slip, and everybody and their dog has a bet on it doing so.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:20 pm

I doubt Shenmue III will release in 2017.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenSun » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Really hoping for a delay. Shenmue 3 should defiantly not launch with all those massive titles. Add Fifa, assassins creed, COD, etc to the list aswell. While its not directly competing in terms of genre, Shenmue 3 could easily get lost with so many games. Red dead 2 will have all the attention.

Release Shenmue 3 next year in a quiet month so its the main focus in gaming and can have the maximum impact for sales, exposure and what not.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Sonne2
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:08 pm

I don't care when Shenmue ships, it will be against some big title.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:10 am

Batosai wrote: Was wondering if Shenmue would have more success if it maintains its holiday release schedule for sales or if it strategically delays when a major title like Super Mario Odyssey is alongside it?

haha. mario odysee won't be a system seller. nothing to worrie for shenmue 3.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:11 am

delvec19 wrote: People also worried about Red Dead 2 for the same reason. We're all assuming Shen 3 is going to get delayed anyway so a Spring '18 release would be ideal for all parties involved IMO.

I don't see it getting delayed? why?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:21 am

ShenSun wrote: Really hoping for a delay. Shenmue 3 should defiantly not launch with all those massive titles. Add Fifa, assassins creed, COD, etc to the list aswell. While its not directly competing in terms of genre, Shenmue 3 could easily get lost with so many games. Red dead 2 will have all the attention.

Release Shenmue 3 next year in a quiet month so its the main focus in gaming and can have the maximum impact for sales, exposure and what not.

you do realize sales in the christmas period are 10x as much as any other month right?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:44 am

A game coming out on a platform which will have a user base that fits into the palm of your hand isn't going to be a major issue for Shenmue which is releasing on the two biggest gaming platforms :)
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:24 pm

There are many games releasing this holiday as there is every holiday. Out of all of them... Mario is not one that I'm worried about. It's not even on the same platform that Shenmue will be on.

It's possible that I'll be getting an NS for the family this Christmas but I can guarantee you that the NS will sit and collect dust while I play Shenmue 3 regardless of what games are out. As for the casual crowd, if they have a PS4 or PC, it's probably going to take an HD remaster of the first two games to get people into the series to the point of buying the third game.

It's an uphill battle that Shenmue 3 will be facing for success beyond the core fanbase. There are literally so many games coming out in the next 18-24 months that look incredible that great games are going to go by the wayside for most people. I'm afraid Shenmue 3 will be one of those for many.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Monkei » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:47 am

Sorry for probably coming off grumpy, but all I can reply to this topic is "...really?".. according to which logic do Shenmue III and Super Mario Odyssey kater to the same crowd of gamers/consumers?

I already found the Red Dead Redemption 2 worries pretty weird. Sure, games like Titanfall 2 are direct competition for games like Call of Duty and that situation had Titanfall lose out. And yeah, Shenmue III is probably kinnnnd of an open world game, but eh, not really. Neither were Shenmue I and II. They're games with big areas and a lot of detail and quite some freedom, too, but not what we today understand as open world. These titles have huge budgets, one big area with as much freedom and ways to seemlessly get around as possible and tons of annoying side shit. No-one is really gonna consider Shenmue III as a third option when he has to decide between Assassin's Creed and Red Dead Redemption because he wants an action- and fun- and "coolness"-filled open world title. Like someone already said in the RDR2 discussion - Shenmue has his own niche. Either you want it or you don't, there isn't really something you could get instead..

See, now I had to talk about RDR2 and open world games, because that Mario thing you brought up is too stupid to even debate about :p

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, Jibby
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:51 pm

They're not on the same systems. And there's always gonna be some big title around the corner. Also Christmas time is the time when game sales are made. Other than that Monkei pretty much summed it up.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Batosai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 am

Monkei wrote: Sorry for probably coming off grumpy, but all I can reply to this topic is "...really?".. according to which logic do Shenmue III and Super Mario Odyssey kater to the same crowd of gamers/consumers?

I already found the Red Dead Redemption 2 worries pretty weird. Sure, games like Titanfall 2 are direct competition for games like Call of Duty and that situation had Titanfall lose out. And yeah, Shenmue III is probably kinnnnd of an open world game, but eh, not really. Neither were Shenmue I and II. They're games with big areas and a lot of detail and quite some freedom, too, but not what we today understand as open world. These titles have huge budgets, one big area with as much freedom and ways to seemlessly get around as possible and tons of annoying side shit. No-one is really gonna consider Shenmue III as a third option when he has to decide between Assassin's Creed and Red Dead Redemption because he wants an action- and fun- and "coolness"-filled open world title. Like someone already said in the RDR2 discussion - Shenmue has his own niche. Either you want it or you don't, there isn't really something you could get instead..

See, now I had to talk about RDR2 and open world games, because that Mario thing you brought up is too stupid to even debate about :p

It's not necessarily about direct comparisons of systems or games but popular titles have strong marketing and draw attention so regardless of game genre or what platform it is on it can be difficult for other projects to be noticed. So while sales are high in Christmas its still something that needs to hit the ground running for it to have continued success, be noticed and be in discussion by mainstream users which i feel can be threatened by the buzz of other major titles.

Personally think it should be delayed and released during a time where it can noticed by the wider audience not just fans (Shenmue HD would help quite a bit also there).
Batosai

Next

Return to Shenmue III