Are you still hyped?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Are you still hyped?

Postby mrandyk » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Also, consider how many of those 70k have likely never even played Shenmue before and just hopped on the hype train at e3. That and the fact we have not gotten anything of substance since then.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby redline » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:57 pm

cant say im "hyped" a the moment.

i might be alone but the 10+ year wait has made me numb. ((over the years i sorted mourned/accepted the fact we wouldn't get 3.)

maybe when i play S3 i'll get hyped for S4

redline has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Actually are we sort of setting ourselves up for disappointment?

We've dreamed about this game for 10+ years so can the reality of actually playing the game live up to our expectations?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Honestly, for the longest time I've personally felt the "it won't live up to expectations" remark to be some bullshit way for journalists to tell us "oh no, you don't actually want these games", when they have zero idea of the investment fans have in a series like Shenmue and what they actually expect out of it.

Of course the obvious answer is "oh well it won't be a technical marvel like it was in 1999, so that's why you'll be disappointed", but that's also bullshit.

A.) Tech showpieces come and go, and if there weren't more to the series than that, Shenmue would have been long forgotten. You don't see Crysis fans clamouring for a sequel in the same way Shenmue fans have for over a decade.

B.) You just have to look at the informal poll on this very forum a few threads down to see technical achievement is not a priority. Sure, it's a small sample size, but we're the hardest of the hardcore out of the series fans, and the ones who have been living with genuine expectations of Shenmue III for 15+ years. If someone claimed they were a Shenmue fan because of the graphics, I wouldn't fuckin' believe them.

Yu & co. deserve the benefit of the doubt to create a sequel worthy of the name Shenmue. If we all thought there was no way it could live up to expectations, what the fuck was the point of fighting for it for 15 years?

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Shenmue_Music
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby drunkensailor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:59 am

mrandyk wrote: Also, consider how many of those 70k have likely never even played Shenmue before and just hopped on the hype train at e3. That and the fact we have not gotten anything of substance since then.

of those 70k likely everyone has played shenmue. why else would they support this
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:38 am

I remember occasionally reading comments on the KS page from backers, saying "I haven't played any of the original games". I think it was the hype. A lot of people also had probably heard about it as some sort of "holy grail of vaporware" and were intersted to see where S3 goes.

I for instance have never owned any Castlevania or Metroid game. Sure, I might have played some of them at friends' houses when I was younger but I can't even say I liked them very much. However, when Bloodstained came up I backed it. I had a lot of sympathy for all the Castlevania fans around the world who had been hoping for a new game all those years and secondly I liked the idea of helping Koiji Igarashi realize his vision of a game Konami would not let him make for years.

The trailer looked kind of OK to me, not even great but I don't regret backing Bloodstained. The only way I'd regret it is if the game will downright suck. However, as long as I get a halfway decent 2D platforming game out of this, I'll be happy to have chipped in some of my money to help the fans and Igarashi get their dream game made.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KidMarine » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:21 am

I haven't been keeping up to date with gaming news etc, Bloodstained still isn't out yet? Isn't it just a 2D platformer? Announced years ago?
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby SlySpy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:50 am

I'd say I'm like Cthulhu. I'm chillin in my mystical underwater fortress, and I'll wake up and get the blood flowing when I see some more tangible Shenmue 3 footage. Not necessarily hyped, because things have died down, but just waiting patiently.

I never gave up on the idea of this game, even when almost everyone flat out didn't believe it was happening. Now that it is, I'll gladly wait if it means we all get a better, more hype-worthy game.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:37 am

KidMarine wrote: I haven't been keeping up to date with gaming news etc, Bloodstained still isn't out yet? Isn't it just a 2D platformer? Announced years ago?

The game was delayed because of finding a new publisher, I believe.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 am

KidMarine wrote: I haven't been keeping up to date with gaming news etc, Bloodstained still isn't out yet? Isn't it just a 2D platformer? Announced years ago?

It's not finished yet. The Bloodstained Kickstarter took place in 2015, a couple of months before S3's. The game should have initially come out in early 2017 but it got delayed to some time in 2018.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rome » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Still hyped. Now that 2017 is upon us, this is the year of Shenmue 3. Rather it's 2018, or December 2017. It's right around the corner.

Playing Shenmue 1 and 2 from time to time help you imagine what S3 might be like as well. The possibilities.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:16 am

johnvivant wrote: one question i have is that given the game has 70k backers, why aren't the forums busier? i suppose its because of the lack of any real news.
i imagine things will get pretty crazy whenever the first trailer arrives.

Its just the natural way of the Internet now, where the majority of stuff on it is to catch your attention. Including the ease of access technology has provided, you spend less time on the Internet regarding one interest you have than you would have done years ago.

That said, it has also been quiet because, well, despite monthly updates, the team have been relatively quiet. Like an old school making of a game, where we only get small snippets if info like we used to do in a gaming mag every month. I love that. But even at that, watch the viewing numbers rise every month when an update does land. Remember the new record set during E3 last year. I only know of 3 sites that went down due to traffic last year and that was NeoGaf, Kickstarter and Shenmue Dojo, all because of Shenmue 3 (well Gaf in general was mad due to the Trinity, but we still played our part).

Over the course of this year, there will be a lot more exciting moments because they have been disciplined and quiet. That's how you do it. Once a trailer lands, the final models, reveal of Lan Di or Niao Sun, the small aspects of the release like mini games etc. watch this place go into meltdown. Especially when the full trailer hits. That's when the unexpected hits everyone like a fucking train. So many great times right around the corner.

rome wrote: Still hyped. Now that 2017 is upon us, this is the year of Shenmue 3. Rather it's 2018, or December 2017. It's right around the corner.

Playing Shenmue 1 and 2 from time to time help you imagine what S3 might be like as well. The possibilities.

Good to see you again bud. Hope all is well.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby KidMarine » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:

It's not finished yet. The Bloodstained Kickstarter took place in 2015, a couple of months before S3's. The game should have initially come out in early 2017 but it got delayed to some time in 2018.

Oh it was only in 2015? I thought it was in 2013 or 2014. The passage of time is terrifying.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 am

I'm taking a more chilled and patient approach right now. Just don't have the spirit wanting to get excited over nothing-news for some time now. Of course I still think about it every day, just not all the time. I just wait for the next big announcement and the first real material of the game and official statements concerning Shenmue HD. And when that comes the hype will become real again.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Not really, I went in to waiting mode again like before it was announced amd generally avoid updates as I want to discover it like I did the first 2 having very little infor before hand. My hype will definitely come back once there's a release date though.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III