What do you think we will see in this month's update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What do you think we will see in this month's update

Postby Snakiest » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:41 am

Jibby wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but monthly updates were never a promise but more a goal or target. Nobody's being deceived here.

I don't remember, either. Even if it wasn't, they could have given us some kind of head up after sticking to the schedule for so long. That is, if they cared and stayed up to date with the community and knew what kind of discussions are going on regarding the 2 months-long silence. To me personally it would be a professional way of doing things - which I obviously care more about than the updates now! :lol:
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:04 am

I will promise that I will be updating you about the progress of the development at least once a month. This is what we have for now.

From the Yu Q&A in August 2015. But it doesn't matter.

Updating monthly is absolutely a much more intensive schedule than many other high profile Kickstarters keep, and they've done a good job sticking to this promise solidly for a year and a half. It was never realistically going to last, although some notice would have been nice.

On the other hand, we're all rational, logical people (mostly...), and if an update doesn't drop two months in a row it's pretty obvious that the update schedule has changed. Notice of a change at this point would be closing the door after the horse has bolted, so don't be surprised if it's never addressed.

As for Awesome Japan filling the content gaps; without knowing the exact detail of their contract with YSnet we shouldn't assume this. They may not be hired to do that, and are simply there to act as administrators on the KS and PayPal.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, Sonoshee, The_Intruder
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 am

Sappharad wrote:
Sonoshee wrote: I still stand by my opinion that, this year, no monthly updates are a good thing.

YSNet are extremely busy and freeing up any resources right now to throw out a small monthly update would only hurt development.

But you're seemingly ignoring the fact that YSNet doesn't post the updates, Awesome Japan does.

Yet you are ignoring the fact that AwesomeJapan get their updates/material from YSNet. That would require a resource from YSNet being "freed up" from development to get it to them. If AJ doesn't have anything, they can't post anything.
I don't understand the big deal here with regards to monthly updates. They held their promise solidly for over a year and now that development has hit full speed, updates were always going to be far and few between. They shouldn't need to tell you that, it should be common sense really. Personally, as I said, I'd rather they just focused on development right now. Don't we all want the best game here?

Sonoshee has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 am

Snakiest wrote:
Jibby wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but monthly updates were never a promise but more a goal or target. Nobody's being deceived here.

I don't remember, either. Even if it wasn't, they could have given us some kind of head up after sticking to the schedule for so long. That is, if they cared and stayed up to date with the community and knew what kind of discussions are going on regarding the 2 months-long silence. To me personally it would be a professional way of doing things - which I obviously care more about than the updates now! :lol:

Yop, in both cases that's illustrating some fail there. A schedule based on an update every 3 months would have been perfect.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: I understand they're up to their necks in work, but would it really be that hard to just take a photo of them in the studio to prove they're alive? Something minor would please some people, obviously annoy the perpetually displeased, and just get this issue out of the way.

To be honest, do we even need a picture like that? We know they're there, and it's hardly like that kind of update will shut the usual suspects up in the KS comments.

It's just something to keep people happy and feel invested in the process, I guess. They don't have to do anything at all. They could go completely silent until the game's out for all I care. I don't think it'd hurt to be a little more open. I understand they're hard at work, but a little tiny show of support for the fans who are waiting would be nice once in a while.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:21 pm

I have to say, I don't really know what to make of this. As a Shenmue fan I really don't care about the updates. All I want is for the team to be left alone to work on the game and make it the best they can.

If I take the perspective of an unrelated person however, I get a kind of weird feeling aboiut this. If you make a commitment to sending out development updates on a monthly basis, not making any updates for like three months in a row without even dropping people a notice seems at least indifferent, if not disrespectful. Let's keep in mind we are not talking about some random fans whining on the internet but about people who put down cash to fund the game. I don't think YS Net is making much revenue at the moment, so those are the people paying YS Net's bills right now.

Just drop a note like: "Hi ladies and gentlemen, we're so busy making the game at the moment, being in main production and all, we don't have the time to give you monthly updates which is why we will send out quarterly updates from now on." It's a fucking two-liner any intern could write up in a minute. Sure, this kind of update doesn't hold any value content-wise but it would at least have been respectful.

The way they're handling this is just so weird. That said, being a backer doesn't give anyone the right to cry about it on the KS comment section like an entitled litte kid.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Himuro
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote: I have to say, I don't really know what to make of this. As a Shenmue fan I really don't care about the updates. All I want is for the team to be left alone to work on the game and make it the best they can.

If I take the perspective of an unrelated person however, I get a kind of weird feeling aboiut this. If you make a commitment to sending out development updates on a monthly basis, not making any updates for like three months in a row without even dropping people a notice seems at least indifferent, if not disrespectful. Let's keep in mind we are not talking about some random fans whining on the internet but about people who put down cash to fund the game. I don't think YS Net is making much revenue at the moment, so those are the people paying YS Net's bills right now.

Just drop a note like: "Hi ladies and gentlemen, we're so busy making the game at the moment, being in main production and all, we don't have the time to give you monthly updates which is why we will send out quarterly updates from now on." It's a fucking two-liner any intern could write up in a minute. Sure, this kind of update doesn't hold any value content-wise but it would at least have been respectful.

The way they're handling this is just so weird. That said, being a backer doesn't give anyone the right to cry about it on the KS comment section like an entitled litte kid.

Maybe the team took an extended Christmas break and are just now returning to work on the game?

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:13 pm

SMDzero wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: I have to say, I don't really know what to make of this. As a Shenmue fan I really don't care about the updates. All I want is for the team to be left alone to work on the game and make it the best they can.

Maybe the team took an extended Christmas break and are just now returning to work on the game?

I highly doubt that. The last monthly updates we got were "pre-planned", the next time we see Shenmue III it will be near finish state and you don't want to fuck that up. So I assume the team is working hard to give the game the necessary polish to present it to a wider audience.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:16 pm

SMDzero wrote:Maybe the team took an extended Christmas break and are just now returning to work on the game?

No.

I know you're kidding.

But still no.

Hyo Razuki wrote: If I take the perspective of an unrelated person however, I get a kind of weird feeling aboiut this. If you make a commitment to sending out development updates on a monthly basis, not making any updates for like three months in a row without even dropping people a notice seems at least indifferent, if not disrespectful. Let's keep in mind we are not talking about some random fans whining on the internet but about people who put down cash to fund the game. I don't think YS Net is making much revenue at the moment, so those are the people paying YS Net's bills right now.

Does the unrelated person even know there was a promise made to update once a month? Probably not. We only know because obsessives like me dived back into the old updates. These unrelated people may not have checked up on the game since it got funded, and have a year and a half worth of updates to sift through. Not updating January and February this year means nothing to them.

As for bill paying, etc... what do you think the KS money is for? The only kind of revenue coming in is through the Slacker Backer site, but that isn't essential to YSnet's operation, and we don't know if lack of updates has had any impact on that front (as of Feb 24th, the SB site has made roughly $14,000+ this month).

At the moment, the average person who hasn't been keeping up with the game doesn't have much reason to care. We don't have to worry about them. All we need to do here is keep our heads, and prevent ourselves from going down the rabbit hole of madness like the KS comments.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Himuro
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby celsowm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Is there any chance of a Shenmue's presence at the GDC?
celsowm

PSN: celsowmbr
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm still with hope of seeing some pics or vídeos before E3 just as suzuki said
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 pm

celsowm wrote: Is there any chance of a Shenmue's presence at the GDC?

No. If Yu Suzuki were attending and contributing to a panel, then maybe, but as far as we know he's locked up in the dev studio for the next 10+ months.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, celsowm
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:00 pm

When they emerge from the studio, it'll be like all of us coming out of that cave figuratively 15 years later. :)

Anonymous81 has received 3 thanks from: Jibby, Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Himuro » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Appreciate the conversation from both sides! I can see Spag's point and I can see others' point. No updates in January and February *is* worrisome but at the same time, it gives me hope for something more substantial the next time we see the game. While the communication could be better, we just have to sit tight and hope for the best!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby mrandyk » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:15 am

Yes, these lack of updates is slightly worrisome. At the same time I'd be just fine with hearing nothing until they have something substantial to show.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III