What do you think we will see in this month's update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What do you think we will see in this month's update

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:08 am

We have to see something before E3, what about what Suzuki said? Some short video before E3 and maybe some pics could be still possible.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Valascaziel » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:36 am

Well, we are rapidly approaching mid-March. Soon, we will all be clinging to hope of a Match update as we head into April.

To me, the biggest sign of a delay was when someone(forget who) said the SB could run to the end of the year. I don't see any reason it could feasibly do that unless a delay was imminent.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby FlagshipFighter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:08 am

Valascaziel wrote: Well, we are rapidly approaching mid-March. Soon, we will all be clinging to hope of a Match update as we head into April.

To me, the biggest sign of a delay was when someone(forget who) said the SB could run to the end of the year. I don't see any reason it could feasibly do that unless a delay was imminent.

To me it looked as if Suzuki-san didn't have the right staff/talent at the time he needed it, whether it was a lack of UE4-equipped staff or an unforeseen circumstance, as the recruiting process would (naturally) create some setbacks to his original goal. (On this subject, does anybody know if those positions at YS.net were filled or are they still open?)

However, I do want to shed light on how I interpret Yu's work ethic: Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm (pretty sure) I read somewhere shortly after the Shenmue 3 was funded that Yu-san found it quite daunting to share work-in-progress projects for reasons relating to scrutiny and favouring a more organic process with his dev team rather than one that is completely driven by player-feedback and iteration. After all, he's adopted a very versatile project management system (agile) which is often not been popularised or designed for game development in mind. So, considering all this and that he is most comfortable to doing things the same way that he did during the sega-hardware era, I really think that this is his strength here and what's best for the game.

Sure, I get the opinion on engaging in light banter on month's where they don't have updates or have a community forum of their own with the devs on it, I do enjoy that from other KS projects and all that's good but I think things like that reflect the personality/ethos of the company and benefit smaller scale projects more. As Peter mentioned prior, it's definitely not straight forward for them to do that as they have to go through AJ etc. Obviously if there is any concern I do think it's important for them to be transparent about it (like Doublefine was) but we also have to be prepared to give them some breathing room, however long that may be. Personally if I was Yu I'd be like "Thx everyone but stfu now i got work to do please give me some time!" xD but I'm sure it's difficult for them to communicate that as plans change. After all, Shenmue 3 is probably the most ambitious crowd-funded game project seen so far.

With Shenmue 3, I think that silence is golden and I look forward to whenever Yu-san decides to splash it all, E3 or otherwise. I'm not sure about everyone else here, but my attention has leaned more towards how/if sega will be handling the shenmue hd ports, it's still difficult to imagine what they'll be like running on current gen hardware/pc's, I genuinely think I'd cry seeing that announcement.

And I agree with you @Spags , I know that they have a bunch of surprises we haven't seen yet, but especially with how game marketing is done today I definitely think it wouldn't have been announced yet.

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kiske
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Valascaziel wrote:To me, the biggest sign of a delay was when someone(forget who) said the SB could run to the end of the year. I don't see any reason it could feasibly do that unless a delay was imminent.

I don't remember reading this, but to hypothesise, if the Slacker Backer stayed open then funds received up until quite near release could probably be used to pay testers rather than shaping actual development. The more testers they can hire/hours they can pay them for, the more bug-free the game should be.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Valascaziel wrote:To me, the biggest sign of a delay was when someone(forget who) said the SB could run to the end of the year. I don't see any reason it could feasibly do that unless a delay was imminent.

I don't remember reading this, but to hypothesise, if the Slacker Backer stayed open then funds received up until quite near release could probably be used to pay testers rather than shaping actual development. The more testers they can hire/hours they can pay them for, the more bug-free the game should be.

I vaguely remember reading someone's post on this forum about that.
Wasn't Joel from AJ who answered to a fan mail that the slacker backer campaign should last until this Summer, maybe until the end of the year?

That said, I agree with you. Every penny counts and more time for funds can only help to increase the overall quality of the final product.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby sand4fish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:56 pm

I will take a guess that you guys are talking about my post :D : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50540

sand4fish wrote: I have been in touch with Joel (Awesome Japan) recently to ask few questions, like the expiration date for the Paypal campaign, what's up with the photoshopped Ryo and Paypal backers' surveys. So I'm just sharing the info for those who might have wanted to know about these.

Happy New Year!

Sorry for the late reply. I came down with a serious case of flu which is still leaving me woozy and blurry eyed.

Anywhooo... the Slacker Backer should be going at least until this summer, likely up to the near end of this year.

About the pic, no that is not the final. There is much left to do graphically, so that stuff won't be pinned down for a while. Though he's looking pretty handsome now!!!

PayPal backers will also have surveys. They will need to choose their preferences the same as the KS backers. Once it is set up, they will receive an email through the mail address registered with PayPal.

Any more questions, just let me know anytime. Hope the year treats you well!

Joel

*As for the "pretty handsome now" comment, it was because of this:

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Kiske
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:12 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: Well, we are rapidly approaching mid-March. Soon, we will all be clinging to hope of a Match update as we head into April.

To me it looked as if Suzuki-san didn't have the right staff/talent at the time he needed it, whether it was a lack of UE4-equipped staff or an unforeseen circumstance, as the recruiting process would (naturally) create some setbacks to his original goal. (On this subject, does anybody know if those positions at YS.net were filled or are they still open?)

Here's what the recruitment section of YsNet website looks like as of today (March 8, 2017):

(Google Translate)

http://www.ysnet-inc.jp/#Recruit

If the page is up-to-date, they are still looking for manpower...

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:01 pm

The old job postings from even before the update last October are still there if I recall correctly. Probably just a case of the recruitment portion of the site being neglected rather than not being able to hire anybody.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:39 am

I have my doubts about the section just being neglected, but I do hope you're right.

PS. On another note, the Kickstarter comments section is a big mess. Mainly because of a couple trolls (I don't call them fans) but nevertheless, it's a shame.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:20 am

Kiske wrote: I have my doubts about the section just being neglected, but I do hope you're right.

PS. On another note, the Kickstarter comments section is a big mess. Mainly because of a couple trolls (I don't call them fans) but nevertheless, it's a shame.

It's probably safe to assume they've made some hires since the posting went up at least. Unless Yu's hiring practice is entirely people he meets in restaurants. :lol:
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:00 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Kiske wrote: I have my doubts about the section just being neglected, but I do hope you're right.

It's probably safe to assume they've made some hires since the posting went up at least. Unless Yu's hiring practice is entirely people he meets in restaurants. :lol:

Well, either way... removing a few lines on the hiring section would take less time (and be more elegant) than answer to useless applications, right? :lol:

The "feel good" explanation would be that Yu has enough money to keep on hiring staff! :king:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:26 am

Spaghetti wrote:Unless Yu's hiring practice is entirely people he meets in restaurants. :lol:

"You there... Yes, you, table six... I like the way you polish off a lobster. But can you polish the animations in my fishing minigame?"

Let's Get Sweaty has received 3 thanks from: Kiske, Mr357, Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:"You there... Yes, you, table six... I like the way you polish off a lobster. But can you polish the animations in my fishing minigame?"

"I've been waiting for my meal for an hour"

*Yu's ears prick up*

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby delvec19 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Only 2 weeks to go until we don't get another update!

(Sorry I'm bored. Don't kill me)

But honestly if all this quiet time means we get a huge E3 showing, trust me I'm all for it!

delvec19 has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:20 pm

We could do another three months of silence on our heads tbh, and at this point I'm expecting that'll be the case.

A trailer is definitely on YSnet's minds at least. Even though it never went public, the Japan dinner backer video is proof enough of that.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Anonymous81, FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III