What do you think we will see in this month's update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What do you think we will see in this month's update

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Monkei wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: I don't think we have a right to see anything.

We certainly have the right to know our money is being used to develop the game and in what stage the game is.

We really don't. It would be smart and fanbase friendly of them to let us know every now and then of course. But they don't have to. They don't even have to ship the game if they for some reason aren't able to. That's how Kickstarter works, you give your money in good faith, hope for the best and are ready to accept the worst.

If you are going by what's legal, sure... but I hope the majority isn't fanatic to the extent of defending such thing.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:51 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:If you are going by what's legal, sure... but I hope the majority isn't fanatic to the extent of defending such thing.

Who's defending it? Monkei was just explaining that backer's "rights" do not extend particularly far.

Not that it matters much in the case of Shenmue III. Completing the main game scenarios and moving out of prototype is a hurdle of competence that guarantees the game will release at some point.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Spaghetti wrote: C'mon Karim. We know it's you.

Course it is. Should have told me to log in sooner. Fuckin fruitloop.

Peter has received 3 thanks from: delvec19, Let's Get Sweaty, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Monkei » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:03 am

Monkei wrote:

We certainly have the right to know our money is being used to develop the game and in what stage the game is.

We really don't. It would be smart and fanbase friendly of them to let us know every now and then of course. But they don't have to. They don't even have to ship the game if they for some reason aren't able to. That's how Kickstarter works, you give your money in good faith, hope for the best and are ready to accept the worst.

If you are going by what's legal, sure... but I hope the majority isn't fanatic to the extent of defending such thing.

Why wouldn't I defend it? I don't have any reason whatsoever to suspect something foul going on or that we're being ripped off. I personally can live without there ever being another update prior to the game's release, really. All I need is the game. And while I'd love to have it now, I don't need to have it now. The less time and money they have to waste on pleasing this complaining, whining, demanding and too often unreasonable fan community, the better. I don't think that's a particularly fanatic point of view.. at least not more fanatic than claiming non-existent rights.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby iyapol » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 am

Monkei wrote: The less time and money they have to waste on pleasing this complaining, whining, demanding and too often unreasonable fan community, the better.

The same complaining, whining, demanding fanbase that kept Shenmue alive? The same fanbase that departed with millions of dollars of hard earned cash? The same fanbase that made Shenmue III a reality?

And if my memory serves me right, it was Ys Net, themselves, that promised monthly updates - nobody has demanded anything.

iyapol has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:47 am

I can see both sides of the argument here, but ultimately I don't mind the kind of updates we're getting at the moment. The fluff piece updates are fine, they assure us that the project is still alive, even if they're not ready to show it to us yet.

I've been in the fanbase for an unreleased game before where we'd only get 2 screenshots a year and absolutely nothing else inbetween. I'm glad Shenmue III isn't like that. I feel there is a definite need for padding.

However I do understand the desire to see new material. We've waited for this a long time and poured a lot of our money into development. But sometimes the material just isn't ready to be shown. The last time they put out unfinished material, a lot of people on here expressed disappointment (the photoshopped Ryo head for example). Let's save ourselves from that and be patient.

Soon we'll be playing a finished version of Shenmue III, it will be glorious, and none of this will matter anymore.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:18 am

Monkei wrote:
Monkei wrote:

Why wouldn't I defend it? I don't have any reason whatsoever to suspect something foul going on or that we're being ripped off. I personally can live without there ever being another update prior to the game's release, really. All I need is the game. And while I'd love to have it now, I don't need to have it now. The less time and money they have to waste on pleasing this complaining, whining, demanding and too often unreasonable fan community, the better. I don't think that's a particularly fanatic point of view.. at least not more fanatic than claiming non-existent rights.

That's not what I said. I bolded the part where you said we aren't even "entitled" to a game, which might true legally but something no one in their right mind would defend. If we can't agree on that, this discussion isn't going anywhere. If you want to classify this community as unreasonable go ahead but this is by far most faithful fanbase you will ever meet.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:40 am

I have caused a bit of a rift with the "right" comment from earlier.

I think of it like this. If folks say I've got a right to see this in action, but it isn't in the state Yu wants it to be, you end up with a MN9 debacle where people are furious that it looks nothing like what was promised or envisioned.

Granted, we haven't seen a "target video" but still I feel that is how people would react.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby mjq jazz bar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:37 am

I'd like to see more, but any wonky or underwhelming video or screenshot will send the games press/internet trolls running after Yu Suzuki like a pack of ravenous dogs. I think/hope they're keeping things close to their chests because they're hard at work and don't want to share anything that isn't close to the final product.

If we wait six months to see an update and Ryo still looks ridiculous, then I'll start to worry.

mjq jazz bar has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby delvec19 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:32 am

Tuesday morning would be the next possible update correct? I reckon if we still get nothing, this board will be in an uproar.
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:10 pm

delvec19 wrote: Tuesday morning would be the next possible update correct? I reckon if we still get nothing, this board will be in an uproar.

If they're leaving it to the last possible day (as per), then yes, Tuesday morning is when the update could potentially go live.

But expecting an uproar? Nah. A few people will be disappointed, sure, but since Peter told us how updates work (YSnet produces them, liaises with AJ for translation, AJ distributes) I think most of us will be forgiving if YSnet can't spare the time or people right now.

Save the uproars for the madhouse cesspit that is the KS comments section.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:11 pm

There'll be uproar from some if it's not the first hour of gameplay in 1080p and 60fps.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby delvec19 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
delvec19 wrote: Tuesday morning would be the next possible update correct? I reckon if we still get nothing, this board will be in an uproar.

If they're leaving it to the last possible day (as per), then yes, Tuesday morning is when the update could potentially go live.

But expecting an uproar? Nah. A few people will be disappointed, sure, but since Peter told us how updates work (YSnet produces them, liaises with AJ for translation, AJ distributes) I think most of us will be forgiving if YSnet can't spare the time or people right now.

Save the uproars for the madhouse cesspit that is the KS comments section.

I avoid that place like the plague haha. But I'd bet money if there's not substantial update by this year's E3, this board will very upset.
delvec19

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35 pm

delvec19 wrote:I avoid that place like the plague haha. But I'd bet money if there's not substantial update by this year's E3, this board will very upset.

Maybe, but that's just a hypothetical for now.

I dunno. The info we want is coming, but it's just a matter of when. If YSnet are going dark for months at a time, I think there's probably a good chance we get that second E3 moment we're all waiting for.

If not, and the KS stays quiet, then there's a communication issue that'll need to be addressed.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Esppiral » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Nothing.
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral