Shenmue 3 demo

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 demo

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:09 pm

I was thinking about the demo and some questions arose...Where does this demo will take place? Bailu Village? Will it be downloadable?

I asume we will controll Ryo around the village testing free quest, maybe some fights and QTE.
In order to not reveal something story related, they make a demo similar to What's Shenmue, don't you think?

And the last but not the least important, when do you think we'll be able to try it? Knowing Suzuki wants to release this december, maybe around june? At the E3 event?

What do you think guys?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Re: Shenmue 3 demo

Postby SMDzero » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:25 pm

Hazuki00 wrote: I was thinking about the demo and some questions arose...Where does this demo will take place? Bailu Village? Will it be downloadable?

I asume we will controll Ryo around the village testing free quest, maybe some fights and QTE.
In order to not reveal something story related, they make a demo similar to What's Shenmue, don't you think?

And the last but not the least important, when do you think we'll be able to try it? Knowing Suzuki wants to release this december, maybe around june? At the E3 event?

What do you think guys?

I sorta hope it's a non-canon tutorial that takes place inside the Cave. Then once we learn the basic controls and complete some objectives with Shenhua we are instructed to leave the cave and..... screen goes black with the message "The story goes on..... December 2020."
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 pm

SMDzero wrote:
Hazuki00 wrote: I was thinking about the demo and some questions arose...Where does this demo will take place? Bailu Village? Will it be downloadable?

What do you think guys?

I sorta hope it's a non-canon tutorial that takes place inside the Cave. Then once we learn the basic controls and complete some objectives with Shenhua we are instructed to leave the cave and..... screen goes black with the message "The story goes on..... December 2020."

Shenmue III won't release in December 2020 it will release way before that! I think it will reach its December 2017 release date if it gets delayed it will probably just get delayed to Spring 2018!
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Seeing how I don't think they have the resources to do a "What's Shenmue?" type scenario, I think we'll be getting either the opening few "quests" of Shenmue III or a number of bite-sized ways to test out gameplay types. Either way I'm really excited to see what they come up with.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:54 pm

I never believed in a demo. Eighter can't imagine Shenmue being ready to show something great at E3.
In fact... I hope the best... but something tell's me that this game will never achieve the greatness of first two chapters. Maybe I'm like this because of the lack of material shown to public until now.
Let's believe in miracles once again...
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ceej » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 pm

I think there's pretty much a zero percent chance of the game hitting its estimated release date. I believe that the last KS update said that the game was still in the R&D stage? I'm not an expert on game development by any means but a 12 month turnaround seems way too ambitious. I feel like Summer 2018 is probably the best case scenario for the game to be released, and Holiday 2018 is probably the most realistic expectation.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if they'll end up cancelling the demo and cite the resources needed to release the game sooner as an excuse. From what I understand, demos are a lot more work than you would think, and if they're feeling pressured about delaying the game that would be an obvious thing to cut. There will be some pushback on the decision since they listed it as a KS bonus but I think it would be a smart move.

I just reread my post and I know it seems like I'm being kind of negative but I really don't mean to come off that way.

Ceej has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Ceej

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:03 pm

I'm most definitely in the, "I don't even want a demo. I want to be completely blown away by a game I've waited 15 years for" camp.

But I understand it's a fulfilment YSNET have to offer in line with the promises made during the Kickstarter. We will need to have serious discussions about the site because I will just have to leave and hide under a rock from when the demo is finally released.

Peter has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Ceej wrote:I believe that the last KS update said that the game was still in the R&D stage?

Sorta. Final phases, it said. Ryan Payton gave a more detailed answer when asked on Twitter, and revealed prototyping was complete (bar a few new ideas maybe sneaking in). That's a big development milestone, all things considered.

Can Shenmue III be finished in 12 months? It's possible. We don't know the extent of additional resources being added to development for full production (YSnet itself is only one part of the whole team), nor the undoubtedly crazy hours the devs will be pulling from here on out. As Peter has been quick to remind us since his trip to Japan - more work has been done on the game than any of us know about.

I've quoted this before but "the last 10% of game development takes the longest". What that may mean in the context of Shenmue III is unknown right now, but until they come out and say December 2017 will not happen, the developers at least believe it to be possible; and they'd be the ones to know.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Ceej, FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:19 pm

I really want to play the demo but they are only releasing it for PC and mine can't play it. My desktop is outdated from 2007.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:34 pm

The_Intruder wrote: I really want to play the demo but they are only releasing it for PC and mine can't play it. My desktop is outdated from 2007.

I was about to say you could watch Peter play it on the Shenmue Dojo Twitch channel, then I remembered his post in here saying he wouldn't play it because spoilers!
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:37 am

Spaghetti wrote:
The_Intruder wrote: I really want to play the demo but they are only releasing it for PC and mine can't play it. My desktop is outdated from 2007.

I was about to say you could watch Peter play it on the Shenmue Dojo Twitch channel, then I remembered his post in here saying he wouldn't play it because spoilers!

Watching someone else play a video game is not as fun as playing it for yourself. How much do you think I need to spend on a gaming PC that can run Shenmue III demo? Any idea
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:02 am

The_Intruder wrote:Watching someone else play a video game is not as fun as playing it for yourself. How much do you think I need to spend on a gaming PC that can run Shenmue III demo? Any idea

Shenmue III likely isn't going to be much of a pixel-pusher, and UE4 is quite a well optimised engine for PC, so you won't have to invest in top of the line stuff unless you're gunning for 4K/60FPS.

There's no way of knowing an approximate cost right now, though. We'll wait and see. If the demo gets a confirmed time-frame then you'll hopefully get a set of specs to go with it to help you out.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Snakiest » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:54 am

I believe the demo was intended as a way to collect feedback and make the game better at first, but something is telling me Yu has it all under control and we are more likely to see a proper demo for PR purposes closer to the release date.
Snakiest

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:20 am

Ceej wrote: I think there's pretty much a zero percent chance of the game hitting its estimated release date. I believe that the last KS update said that the game was still in the R&D stage? I'm not an expert on game development by any means but a 12 month turnaround seems way too ambitious. I feel like Summer 2018 is probably the best case scenario for the game to be released, and Holiday 2018 is probably the most realistic expectation.

Anyway, I can't help but wonder if they'll end up cancelling the demo and cite the resources needed to release the game sooner as an excuse. From what I understand, demos are a lot more work than you would think, and if they're feeling pressured about delaying the game that would be an obvious thing to cut. There will be some pushback on the decision since they listed it as a KS bonus but I think it would be a smart move.

I just reread my post and I know it seems like I'm being kind of negative but I really don't mean to come off that way.

this game will 99% hit december releasedate. they are already very far in development as was confirmed in one of the updates. if one thing they are actually ahead of schedule thanks to the easy to work with unreal engine

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: khmlight3
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:22 am

Snakiest wrote: I believe the demo was intended as a way to collect feedback and make the game better at first, but something is telling me Yu has it all under control and we are more likely to see a proper demo for PR purposes closer to the release date.

I agree. I think shenmue 3 will blow us away

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: khmlight3
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Next

Return to Shenmue III