Iwao Hazuki's China Visit Diagram

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Iwao Hazuki's China Visit Diagram

Postby Switch » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:51 pm

In Shenmue I & II Ryo gathered various pieces of information about the visit father made to Hong Kong & Guilin all those years ago, so I've tried to bring these together into a diagram showing some of these relationships and timelines.

The diagram includes some assumptions / guesses, which I talk about here:

Blog post:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... am-of.html

The character of Yuanda Zhu is quite enigmatic, as he seems to change what he says depending on who he is talking to. I don't think he has bad intentions towards Ryo, but I get the feeling he is hiding the true circumstances around the death of Sunming Zhao. It will be interesting to see how (or whether) this is developed in Shenmue III.

Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Re: Iwao Hazuki's China Visit Diagram

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:37 am

Thanks Switch! A lot of work as always! =D>

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: Switch
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:14 am

Also Zhu could have just told the treasure story about the mirrors to trigger Ren into following and helping Ryo. Either Chen or Zhu. One of them is either ill-informed or lying about the Mirrors. Or both are right?

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: Switch
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Also Zhu could have just told the treasure story about the mirrors to trigger Ren into following and helping Ryo.

That's an interesting possibility... it certainly had the effect he wanted, if that were the case. Although it would mean that he is also prepared to risk Ren actually getting hold of both mirrors and using them to unlock these "treasures".
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Great job Switch! You are awesome!

The_Fuzileiro has received a thanks from: Switch
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiyuu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Switch wrote: In Shenmue I & II Ryo gathered various pieces of information about the visit father made to Hong Kong & Guilin all those years ago, so I've tried to bring these together into a diagram showing some of these relationships and timelines.

The diagram includes some assumptions / guesses, which I talk about here:

Another impressive work, Switch!

Do we see "Meng Cun" somewhere in the Diagram? Lan Di alleged that Iwao had killed Sunming Zhao in Meng Cun, didn't he? That's one of the key locations in Shenmue saga, and we most likely will go there in the future story, I suppose. Actually, Meng Cun was suggested in the "Chapter Concept Art" of the original VF RPG as we discussed here:

viewtopic.php?p=1071362#p1071362

BTW, has it been confirmed that the man next to young Iwao in the photo is Sunming Zhao?
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:43 pm

I wonder if Iwao's trip to china to practice martial arts coincided with Zhu's own trip there to research martial art styles and lineages, the results of which he would eventually record in Wulinshu.

Zhu is apparently an enthusiastic scholar of the martial arts, although we never find out whether or not he is a Practitioner.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:02 pm

johnvivant wrote: I wonder if Iwao's trip to china to practice martial arts coincided with Zhu's own trip there to research martial art styles and lineages, the results of which he would eventually record in Wulinshu.

Zhu is apparently an enthusiastic scholar of the martial arts, although we never find out whether or not he is a Practitioner.

Well, he was wheelchair bound but that may just be a disguise (looking at Shozo Mizuki with his "I'll pretend to be a wimp and run away despite knowing Martial Arts" technique). We never really did find out about Zhu's company either, Five Stars Corp, which he used to use for trading. He does come across as the type to bend the "truth" to his own favour, I don't really trust him.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Return to Shenmue III