Branching choice

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Branching choice

Postby ChiefNeo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Yu has mentioned on numerous occasions that he plans to institute branching aspects to Shenmue 3's character development. This will be driven by player choice in terms of dialogue selection, etc. It's been said that the manner in which some NPCs will react to Ryo (Shenhua, for example) will be heavily dependent on this system.

How do you guys feel about this supposed aspect of the game?

I'm not sure I like it, though as with most changes, I am more than willing to give Yu the benefit of doubt until I play the finished game.

My problems with it, however, are that I have always viewed shenmue as a story. Because it is a story, it has a premeditated path, a premeditated set of emotions which is it supposed to elicit, and a premeditated conclusion. This is not Mass Effect, where you ARE the character. Shenmue is more like metal gear, where you partake in Snake's story and are not necessarily an active participant in the moral and ethical questions that are raised. It's never you making a decision, it's Snake. That's how it should be for games like this. In other games, like skyrim, where you project your sense of identity onto the character, then yea. That's your call. This is different.

I sincerely hope that these options are left primarily to very superficial aspects of the story. I want to see Ryo continue top grow as the established character that he already represents. I do not want to play "wonder what I should say here? Should I be 'mean' or 'nice?'".

And before you say that Shenmue 2 had multiple endings, it didn't. It had a "failure" ending that was based off of you taking too long to progress, not because of in-game selections that guided the story to that specific conclusion.
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Branching choice

Postby John Doom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Based on what Suzuki has said, I think it will only affect what the other characters think of Ryo, not Ryo's character or the plot. We already had a glimpse of what it might be during the last part of Shenmue 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL-WSzOj8IM). It may probably work as an advanced version of https://youtu.be/YIhi0LN6h-M?t=159 and, based on the player's actions and choices, may unlock secret cutscenes like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S5L0ZqwQfg
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Jibby » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I don't think it will be anything too major. We've made choices on Ryo's behalf before; for example when we pick what photo of Nozomi we want to keep. I imagine that it will just be some different lines of dialogue or things happening in a slightly different order as opposed major plot or character changes.

Jibby has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby johnvivant » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 pm

This new joint exploration mode with Shenhua will probably mean she will be judging all the interactions you have with the other NPCs. Joint interactions and conversations involving Shenhua sounds interesting, but constantly worrying about doing or saying the wrong thing might be stressful. I cant imagine what the outcome will be of displeasing shenhua... hadouken to face?

no seriously, I think the rapport system will only have superficial effects. the overall outcome of the story will remain the same regardless imo.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlackHeaven » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:13 pm

I think it will be something like in Fallout 4
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Return to Shenmue III