What new open world features do you want to see?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What new open world features do you want to see?

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:07 pm

jasonorme666 wrote: I'd like the option to zoom into first person.

you can do that in shenmue 1 and 2.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I imagine he means in the style of Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Not just while standing still or following an NPC.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:39 pm

Technically Shenmue II had first person movement mode when investigating places like Huang's Room and Five Stars Corp.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Himuro
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I imagine he means in the style of Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Not just while standing still or following an NPC.

But he said zoom in which is the entire purpose of first person mode in Shenmue.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:46 pm

Yes, maybe he's never played the first two games and doesn't know what he's talking about. What a loon.

Or maybe you're getting hung up on semantics where "zooming in" from third person to first person and continuing normal gameplay from that perspective would in fact be new to the series, beyond the isolated exceptions mentioned by Spaghetti.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby jasonorme666 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

I think you may have taken the "zooming in " part too literally.
I'm talking fully fleshed out first person camera, with walking, looking and talking that can be toggled.
Not to be confused with that awful first person fighting part in Shenmue 2 (what were they thinking?).
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SMDzero » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:49 am

kkenny23 wrote: What I was thinking is what will be the size of Ryo? 2/3 of the screen like in the previous games or less? Will it interfere with the identification we have? And will we be able to move the camera freely with the mouse on the pc version ?I wonder how the gameplay evolution will impact our feelings towards the game. So much question... What do you think?

I think they should change the camera angle.

No one wants to look at Ryo's gargantuan caboose all day.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 am

sand4fish wrote: To me it's more about what Open World features I don't want to see, like absolutely NO mini-maps with quest/enemy/item GPS tracking (actually no quest tracking at all on the UI if possible other than Ryo's notebook), NO battle HP item use and NO vast areas devoid of anything interactive, but merely transitional areas just to walk or run by.

Other than those I also have to point out to NO narratives that betray the game mechanics, like an avatar worrying about having enough money to live by and swearing to not use violence unless necessary but when translated into gameplay, he is able to amass a fortune in no time and is able to shoot or run over any NPC in front of him (GTA IV); or an avatar on a quest of uttermost urgency but the game doesn't actually press the gamer to do that in any way (Skyrim).

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
While games have evolved and Shenmue 3 would do well to learn from them in some aspects, thus also evolving, I do want Shenmue 3 to still be Shenmue and not yet another open world game, full of gamey stuff and hand-holding. To this day, one thing that Shenmue 1 and 2 still do better than all these modern open world games is their sense of immersion. Shenmue doesn't need, and shouldn't have, an overbearing HUD where every little thing is explained to you, where you'll never need to learn its streets, where you'll always know exactly what you should do next to advance, as if you were playing with a walkthrough. Sure, Shenmue needs to evolve, because, let's face it, the first two games are pretty outdated now, but it should not lose its soul and should not change the things that are still good about it just for change's sake and/or because "that's the way things are done now".

SMDzero wrote:
kkenny23 wrote: What I was thinking is what will be the size of Ryo? 2/3 of the screen like in the previous games or less? Will it interfere with the identification we have? And will we be able to move the camera freely with the mouse on the pc version ?I wonder how the gameplay evolution will impact our feelings towards the game. So much question... What do you think?

Disagree with that one. I think the fact that the camera was so close to Ryo, and kinda low, thus allowing for a better view of the surrounding environments, was one of the reasons why Shenmue was so immersive. You felt more inside of its world, so to speak.
Of course, as someone suggested before, an option to walk around the world in first person view would be lovely and would make it even more immersive. I once saw a video of a Witcher 3 mod, which allowed just that, and it made a huge difference. Would definitely love such an option.
O Rei do Frango Assado

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Nahovil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:55 am

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
sand4fish wrote: To me it's more about what Open World features I don't want to see, like absolutely NO mini-maps with quest/enemy/item GPS tracking (actually no quest tracking at all on the UI if possible other than Ryo's notebook), NO battle HP item use and NO vast areas devoid of anything interactive, but merely transitional areas just to walk or run by.

Other than those I also have to point out to NO narratives that betray the game mechanics, like an avatar worrying about having enough money to live by and swearing to not use violence unless necessary but when translated into gameplay, he is able to amass a fortune in no time and is able to shoot or run over any NPC in front of him (GTA IV); or an avatar on a quest of uttermost urgency but the game doesn't actually press the gamer to do that in any way (Skyrim).

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
While games have evolved and Shenmue 3 would do well to learn from them in some aspects, thus also evolving, I do want Shenmue 3 to still be Shenmue and not yet another open world game, full of gamey stuff and hand-holding. To this day, one thing that Shenmue 1 and 2 still do better than all these modern open world games is their sense of immersion. Shenmue doesn't need, and shouldn't have, an overbearing HUD where every little thing is explained to you, where you'll never need to learn its streets, where you'll always know exactly what you should do next to advance, as if you were playing with a walkthrough. Sure, Shenmue needs to evolve, because, let's face it, the first two games are pretty outdated now, but it should not lose its soul and should not change the things that are still good about it just for change's sake and/or because "that's the way things are done now".

SMDzero wrote:

Disagree with that one. I think the fact that the camera was so close to Ryo, and kinda low, thus allowing for a better view of the surrounding environments, was one of the reasons why Shenmue was so immersive. You felt more inside of its world, so to speak.
Of course, as someone suggested before, an option to walk around the world in first person view would be lovely and would make it even more immersive. I once saw a video of a Witcher 3 mod, which allowed just that, and it made a huge difference. Would definitely love such an option.

Concordo com isso tudo.
I'd welcome a playing screen without HUD in it, or at least the option to conceal it.

Nahovil has received a thanks from: O Rei do Frango Assado
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Previous

Return to Shenmue III