ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: ricedigital.co.uk: Shenmue I&II HD in 2017, SIII maybe 2

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:26 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:I'm not certain the author ever intended that to sound like anything other than his own conjecture. He perhaps just didn't do a good job of distinguishing it from his source's claims.

If that's the case, it shouldn't really have been part of the article's blurb as a follow on from "an ATLUS USA source told me-etc etc".

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: celsowm
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Indeed.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby BigTuna » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:47 am

Spaghetti wrote: Part of what makes me so sceptical about this (besides the fact, as per usual, there are no specifics besides "it's coming guys!") is the Shenmue III claim.

Why would some random nobody in Atlus USA know about Shenmue III's delay status? Why would someone working in an American branch of a Japanese subsidiary of SEGA have knowledge of a project being made at a completely different studio from their parent company?

Even if SEGA were genuinely coordinating with YSnet on a long-term release strategy for Shenmue HD and Shenmue III (and there's no evidence that they are), how the fuck would the information be passed from YSnet, to SEGA head management, to SEGA rank and file (management probably wouldn't talk about this around the watercooler, they should - in theory - know "loose lips sink ships"), passed to ATLUS, to ATLUS USA (who's main work is translation)?

Honestly? It just seems like the article author is looking to build some rumour credibility by making easy predictions based on earlier rumblings about Shenmue HD and the widely-held assumption YSnet won't hit December 2017.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But is it possible that Sony/Sega would want a gap between the HD releases and Shenmue 3? That could be the cause of the delay and why this persons source brought it up. Depending on the legitimacy of this article, of course.

I fully expect a 2018 release anyways. I never saw that December 2017 date as being a sure thing. But who knows. I just hope we hear something soon.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:17 am

BigTuna wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. But is it possible that Sony/Sega would want a gap between the HD releases and Shenmue 3? That could be the cause of the delay and why this persons source brought it up. Depending on the legitimacy of this article, of course.

I fully expect a 2018 release anyways. I never saw that December 2017 date as being a sure thing. But who knows. I just hope we hear something soon.

That all depends on how closely SEGA/YSnet/Sony are coordinating on the future of Shenmue, which we don't really have any real knowledge of either way.

I guess in SEGA's case we can assume for the moment they are keeping Shenmue III at arm's length as simply the licence holder and nothing else, and will capitalise on the renewed and proven interest for the series on their own terms irregardless of what YSnet is doing. The Kickstarter FAQ made SEGA's role very clear in that regard, but that was before it smashed world records and brought in millions of dollars on a promise.

Either way, my point still stands that it's highly improbable that this confidential information somehow worked its way down from upper management at SEGA in Japan, to some nobody at ATLUS USA.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:21 am

I have issue with a couple of things in this rumor mill, similar to Spags.

Why wouldn't they be released together? It would make the most sense, especially if they are both completed as the rumor says.

The only reason to not do so is to ensure more double-dipping by the dedicated fans, which I don't think would go over well.

A pre-E3 reveal just seems very unlikely to me. It is possible they could choose PAX or something like that to unveil, but I see it sharing a spotlight with III on the E3 stage. I don't think it'd have quite the same impact on it's own.

I don't know how they would have any knowledge of Shenmue IIIs possible delay into 2018. I think that part stems from someone reading the vast majority opinions of us folks here at the Dojo.

In closing, I'd say we are more likely than ever on a Remaster.

NiER was a very niche, great but flawed Action RPG that, impossibly, got a sequel years later that is one of the highest rated PS4 games of the year at 90 Metacritic.

Bodes well for my hopes for Shennue III, the other unlikely sequel coming this year(or next)
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:25 am

Spaghetti wrote:
BigTuna wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. But is it possible that Sony/Sega would want a gap between the HD releases and Shenmue 3? That could be the cause of the delay and why this persons source brought it up. Depending on the legitimacy of this article, of course.

That all depends on how closely SEGA/YSnet/Sony are coordinating on the future of Shenmue, which we don't really have any real knowledge of either way.

I guess in SEGA's case we can assume for the moment they are keeping Shenmue III at arm's length as simply the licence holder and nothing else, and will capitalise on the renewed and proven interest for the series on their own terms irregardless of what YSnet is doing. The Kickstarter FAQ made SEGA's role very clear in that regard, but that was before it smashed world records and brought in millions of dollars on a promise.

Either way, my point still stands that it's highly improbable that this confidential information somehow worked its way down from upper management at SEGA in Japan, to some nobody at ATLUS USA.

Without getting into the substance of the rumour, allow me to be the "devil's advocate", just for a minute.

To "I Love Japanese Games" credit (author of the article), it seems that he was right with rumours at least once, about "King Of Fighters 14", English release (a source close to Atlus was involved back then too).
http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/king-of-fi ... led-atlus/

Jokes apart and In all fairness, I don't know the reputation of Rice Digital nor the author ILJG, I'm just fullfilling my "devil's advocate" role. :D

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Valascaziel » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:01 pm

I've been thinking--

Maybe Sega has an inkling of a delay if they have been in touch with Yu as it is still their IP? Perhaps hitting him up for some Making of or Remembering Shenmue interviews/videos to include on the HD remaster(if it exists)?
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III