Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Tangent: this whole story reminds me of a tale I was taught as a designer. A EU car manufacturer (I've forgotten which one) consulted with a product firm to design a car cd/stereo unit following their guidelines verbatim. The design firm agreed to produce it as best as they could in order to prevent that contract going to competitors.

Through lots of great research, they actually built a stereo system that was smaller, better with more features, more power efficient and cost-effective (cheaper). They struck gold and the head of the design firm was so happy he green-lit it.

However, once the car manufacturer saw what they produced, they were like "wtf, this isn't what I asked for!" and they refused to purchase all the units that were produced.

Granted, this was in the late 90'-/early 00's and design communication has changed rapidly (it's better and yet somewhat worse now lol) but still there's an important lesson to be learned in that that I think pertains to shenmue on the switch. It just isn't a priority. Most firms would now collapse over good intentions like that sadly.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Telekill » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:57 am

HA! I like the Photoshop work with the Switch and the DC controllers.

While I support Shenmue being on as many platforms as possible, I won't sign anything until after the PS4 and PC versions are released. After that, I'll sign up for this series to be on every platform. Until Shenmue 3 is completed and released though, I'm not going to add more to the plate of an already very busy team of developers.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Serenade » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Serenade wrote: How about Shenmue 3 on the Game Boy aswell while we're at it huh? wouldn't that be cool with no voice acting but pure text and pixels

No, seriously though, this is a terrible idea, why have a version on the Switch when its a backwards arse system that isint even capable of what PS4 can currently do, it would just rewire the game bad

Let's tone down the console wars bullshit.

Go back to NeoGAF you cunt
Serenade
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:41 pm

Serenade wrote:Go back to NeoGAF you cunt

:lol:
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 am

The only platform that deserves Shenmue 3 beside the Sony's consoles (and Dreamcast wtf) is Linux and all other open-source OS to counter the sad Windows hegemony in pc gaming. All other platforms have to wait the post-release or pay their tithe, end of story. (I will sign the petition though 8-[ )
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm

This reminds me of the situation of how Microsoft is getting Kingdom Hearts 3 but I don't believe they have gotten any of the others. I say no to this. Plus Sony has a hand in this in someway so im sure they're fine with being the console exclusive partner. Now Shenmue 4 is a possibility once we see how 3 does.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby munchmunch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:29 pm

I'd rather (and hoping) it comes to Xbox One before Switch. Mostly because Shenmue II was on the original Xbox.

munchmunch has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
munchmunch

Postby patq2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm

why does everyone think all the consoles has the same capabilities
I think it isn't possible for shenmue 3 to run on the nintendo switch

patq2 has received a thanks from: drunkensailor
patq2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:19 pm

patq2 wrote: why does everyone think all the consoles has the same capabilities

UE4 is compatible with the Switch, so there are no engine limitations that would make Shenmue III impossible on the system.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby abaww » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
patq2 wrote: why does everyone think all the consoles has the same capabilities

UE4 is compatible with the Switch, so there are no engine limitations that would make Shenmue III impossible on the system.

Just cause UE4 is compatible with the Switch it doesn't mean Shenmue III would have no problems running on it. Switch specs are really, REALLY low. I know PS4 and XOne specs are nothing special too, they're besically sub-low-end pc (optimization does help a lot, but you're still gettin low res/details when compared to PC)... but the Switch is even worst. There are many smartphones out there with better specs than the Switch. This doesn't mean that there won't be any good game on Switch, but developing on that software is quite a pain in the ass for 3rd party developers. That's why the Switch is still lacking 3rd party games. And I think right now YSNet doesn't have the time to think about a downgraded version of Shenmue3.
abaww
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: abaww

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:20 pm

abaww wrote:Just cause UE4 is compatible with the Switch it doesn't mean Shenmue III would have no problems running on it. Switch specs are really, REALLY low. I know PS4 and XOne specs are nothing special too, they're besically sub-low-end pc (optimization does help a lot, but you're still gettin low res/details when compared to PC)... but the Switch is even worst. There are many smartphones out there with better specs than the Switch. This doesn't mean that there won't be any good game on Switch, but developing on that software is quite a pain in the ass for 3rd party developers. That's why the Switch is still lacking 3rd party games. And I think right now YSNet doesn't have the time to think about a downgraded version of Shenmue3.

I mean, I never said a theoretical Switch version would somehow be the best version or that YSnet should get right on it. I'm of the pretty firm belief that any additional platforms Shenmue III may appear on will absolutely only be considered after the game has already released on PC/PS4 and when whatever limited exclusivity rights Sony has expires.

All I'm saying is, it isn't impossible from an engine perspective and it's unlikely any major gameplay sacrifices will be made unless they hinge on using UE4 in unprecedented and massively complex ways. There will be visual compromises, obviously, but to what extent I couldn't say.

Not to get too deep on that bit about devs finding it a pain in the ass, but in the case of UE4, Nintendo and Epic collaborated quite closely to make it easy and efficient to develop a port for Switch hardware. Sumo Digital apparently had a two week turnaround time porting their UE4 game Snake Pass to the platform, which is incredibly quick in modern game development.

It's probably the reason why you may end up seeing a lot of indie and middle-weight titles that use UE4 making it to the Switch eventually, if it doesn't sink like a stone in the sales like the Wii U.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Shenmue 3 will not be on the Switch.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Cyberman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:14 pm

No. I'd rather it not be on the Switch. I'm happy with it being on the PS4.
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:12 am

sand4fish wrote: A fan is currently petitioning for Shenmue 3 to be released on the hybrid Nintendo console in the website change.org.
Even if you are not a Nintendo fan, you could help signing this petition or spread the word out there. Though very unlikely to happen before the PC and PS4 versions, it's another chance to hype Shenmue 3 and increase its fanbase across another platform.

Shenmue 3 on Nintendo Switch Petition Link

Edit: I made a mistake stating that Shemue500K was behind the idea, so that's reason for the editing.

shows you any idiot can start up a petition.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:14 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Serenade wrote: How about Shenmue 3 on the Game Boy aswell while we're at it huh? wouldn't that be cool with no voice acting but pure text and pixels

No, seriously though, this is a terrible idea, why have a version on the Switch when its a backwards arse system that isint even capable of what PS4 can currently do, it would just rewire the game bad

Let's tone down the console wars bullshit.

there's no bullshit in that post. the nintendo switch is an asinine excuse for a console barely able to run games at 900p. No thank you.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III