Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 for the Nintendo Switch

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:16 am

Spaghetti wrote:
patq2 wrote: why does everyone think all the consoles has the same capabilities
I think it isn't possible for shenmue 3 to run on the nintendo switch

UE4 is compatible with the Switch, so there are no engine limitations that would make Shenmue III impossible on the system.

A comment from someone who hasn't got a clue how programming works. The engine has nothing to do with it. The stuff being processed in the game can't be handled by the switch unless they seriously tone everything down. why on earth would you want that?
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:09 am

drunkensailor wrote:A comment from someone who hasn't got a clue how programming works. The engine has nothing to do with it. The stuff being processed in the game can't be handled by the switch unless they seriously tone everything down. why on earth would you want that?

I'm not entirely sure you know how programming works either, considering engine support is the crux of why Shenmue III could theoretically run on Switch. If the engine wasn't supported on the platform, this would not be a discussion at all.

Unless the game is doing some seriously intensive shit with the CPU for its world simulation or a crucial gameplay element, then a visually compromised version of Shenmue III could theoretically run on Switch hardware - which is what I've been saying this whole time, so don't be an asshole about it.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby reginalb » Mon May 01, 2017 10:53 am

abaww wrote: Just cause UE4 is compatible with the Switch it doesn't mean Shenmue III would have no problems running on it. Switch specs are really, REALLY low. I know PS4 and XOne specs are nothing special too, they're besically sub-low-end pc (optimization does help a lot, but you're still gettin low res/details when compared to PC)... but the Switch is even worst. There are many smartphones out there with better specs than the Switch. This doesn't mean that there won't be any good game on Switch, but developing on that software is quite a pain in the ass for 3rd party developers. That's why the Switch is still lacking 3rd party games. And I think right now YSNet doesn't have the time to think about a downgraded version of Shenmue3.

The X1 produces something in the neighborhood of 1.1 teraflops, vs say the XBox One's ~1.3 (and ~1.8 for the PS4)

The difference isn't enormous. Add to that the fact that the game is likely already being written to scale performance through draw distance, tessellation, etc. (Because it's being written for PC as well as the PS4, and you typically scale dynamically for different PC's) and a Switch port isn't unreasonable at all. Graphics would be scaled down to the Switch, for sure, but it could likely still look pretty darn good, similar to a low end PC. Now, teraflops certainly aren't everything, but they're better than what most people are citing. Namely, anything at all pulled out of their ass. The Switch can handle Unreal and the RE7 engine (this was revealed when Capcom indicated they actually asked Nintendo to bump the memory spec to make it possible to support RE7 - and Nintendo did it). It's certainly not as powerful as the XBox One, the PS4 (and of course the Pro or Project Scorpio), but it's darn respectable for a portable device.

I 100% agree that they should finish it for the PC/PS4 first, but there is no reason that they couldn't target a port to the Switch down the road if the game is a success on those platforms.

drunkensailor wrote: A comment from someone who hasn't got a clue how programming works. The engine has nothing to do with it. The stuff being processed in the game can't be handled by the switch unless they seriously tone everything down. why on earth would you want that?

Do you? I mean, shit, I'm a software developer, and I don't know much about game dev. But I do know that the engine has a hell of a lot to do with it.
reginalb
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Fri May 12, 2017 8:20 am

drunkensailor wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
patq2 wrote: why does everyone think all the consoles has the same capabilities
I think it isn't possible for shenmue 3 to run on the nintendo switch

UE4 is compatible with the Switch, so there are no engine limitations that would make Shenmue III impossible on the system.

A comment from someone who hasn't got a clue how programming works. The engine has nothing to do with it. The stuff being processed in the game can't be handled by the switch unless they seriously tone everything down. why on earth would you want that?

You need to lower your expectations, Shenmue 3 is hardly going to be ground breaking graphics up there with current AAA titles.

8GB ram for PC probably, a gtx 970 I expect will run it great. A port for Switch could absolutely be achievable.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kintor » Fri May 12, 2017 11:33 am

ShenmueForeseen wrote:You need to lower your expectations, Shenmue 3 is hardly going to be ground breaking graphics up there with current AAA titles.

8GB ram for PC probably, a gtx 970 I expect will run it great. A port for Switch could absolutely be achievable.

Must we really entertain the idea of a Switch port? The constant Wii U port begging for every multiplatform game under the sun was embarrassing enough. Now it's the same thing all over again with the Switch, barely any games to speak of outside Nintendo's own first-party offerings.

I find it unlikely that Shenmue 3 would ever run on the Switch, seeing as how the PS4 is the lead console. After all, the Switch is basically just a repurposed Nvidia Shield without the Steam support, the hardware is simply incapable of competing with the PS4 let alone the PS4 Pro. Trying to port a downgraded version of Shenmue 3 to the Switch would be a waste of valuable time and resources that could otherwise be spent elsewhere.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby John Doom » Fri May 12, 2017 5:33 pm

:???: I doubt that Switch players are looking for high-end graphics, anyway. There's no reason SIII can't be ported to the Switch, I think it all comes down to how much it would sell for a return. And who knows, maybe it would find a better audiance for its genre on the Switch than on other platforms :?:
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Previous

Return to Shenmue III