Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Postby Boogie9IGN » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:46 pm

Himuro wrote:
Boogie9IGN wrote: Is that music from a previous game or is it new? I really like it

You used to post on gaf right?

Heeeey Himuro! Still do! Could've sworn I had an account here years ago but it must have gotten wiped at some point. The internet can be pretty small sometimes hahah
Boogie9IGN
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Oh! I'm glad you've joined us!

Himuro has received a thanks from: Boogie9IGN
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Jibby wrote: Image

Has anyone noticed that this tiny patch of pixels here is 1 shade lighter than it should be. This is absolutely unacceptable. Bad update. Game may as well be cancelled.

Completely agree with you, man. And just look at that vase on the right - my mother bought a vase just like that in the mid-90s, so what the hell is it doing in 1987?! I've already deleted the demo and left a scathing review on Steam.

Stop complaining lol
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 am

He was fucking around.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Jibby
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:47 am

Himuro wrote: He was fucking around.

Alright!
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Anonymous81 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 am

The arcade cabinet's neon tube light details tell me the attention to granular little touches and the obsessive attention to such minute points is still strong in this Shenmue, as with the original two games. Things are just still WIP right now. But if they're paying that much attention to things like that, I feel we can reasonably rest assured the whole game will eventually show that level of TLC as well. Just takes time to create and perfect all that content.

The combat is the thing I have the most reservations about, and ultimately the thing I suspect will cause delays personally. (But would be happy to be wrong.)
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:02 am

Peter wrote:(...)03_YoungFemale: AIMove! Failed! Navigation issue?
(...)04_YoungMale: AIMove! Failed! Navigation issue?

Since we know we have the "character perspective" system hinting at playing as ShenHua, could the "young female" in the coding suggest that you will be able to play the arcade machines as ShenHua and not Ryo? Will Ryo teach her? Could it be a date of sorts?

To me, the "AI Move" part suggests you can maybe play the minigame against NPCs you find loitering by the machine.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Since we know we have the "character perspective" system hinting at playing as ShenHua, could the "young female" in the coding suggest that you will be able to play the arcade machines as ShenHua and not Ryo? Will Ryo teach her? Could it be a date of sorts?

To me, the "AI Move" part suggests you can maybe play the minigame against NPCs you find loitering by the machine.

I know next to nothing about coding and whatnot, but my concern with Peter's proposal is why would Ryo and Shenhua be referenced as 'YoungMale' and 'YoungFemale' instead of their real names? Sounds like generic directory names for NPCs to me.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:32 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

Both ways, I see some Yakuza influence here.
Or maybe it's just my perception of it, having just been to a "playing date" in Yakuza 0. :P
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

I know next to nothing about coding and whatnot, but my concern with Peter's proposal is why would Ryo and Shenhua be referenced as 'YoungMale' and 'YoungFemale' instead of their real names? Sounds like generic directory names for NPCs to me.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.

And according to my sources at Atlus USA, these are leaked model designs for those NPCs:

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Monkei
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:00 am

Anonymous81 wrote: The arcade cabinet's neon tube light details tell me the attention to granular little touches and the obsessive attention to such minute points is still strong in this Shenmue, as with the original two games. Things are just still WIP right now. But if they're paying that much attention to things like that, I feel we can reasonably rest assured the whole game will eventually show that level of TLC as well. Just takes time to create and perfect all that content.

The combat is the thing I have the most reservations about, and ultimately the thing I suspect will cause delays personally. (But would be happy to be wrong.)

If in the end they fail to reach that level of details for all the remaining environment, they will have no other choice to downgrade the arcade cabinet in order to respect some unity. After all, isn't Yu Suzuki a perfectionnist? :mrgreen:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby John Doom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 am

Peter wrote: Just off of stream and drunk pausing though the update video....

So not only does Excite QTE 3 have multiples which stack up the points, but if you pause it at the right time you can see the coding on the developers screen, and this seems very interesting:

(...)03_YoungFemale: AIMove! Failed! Navigation issue?

Fuck, this game!

I think it means that these two instances "03_YoungFemale" and "04_YoungMale" (probably two generic NPCs) are trying to move around the map (the arcade where Ryo is playing), but are stuck. That "Navigation issue" may suggest that they can't move, maybe because they haven't programmed a navmesh for that map yet, so these two NPCs don't know which paths they should use to move around.

P.S.: It would be cool to make Ryo teach Shenhua how to play videogames, though :D
Last edited by John Doom on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Anonymous81 wrote: The arcade cabinet's neon tube light details tell me the attention to granular little touches and the obsessive attention to such minute points is still strong in this Shenmue, as with the original two games. Things are just still WIP right now. But if they're paying that much attention to things like that, I feel we can reasonably rest assured the whole game will eventually show that level of TLC as well. Just takes time to create and perfect all that content.

If in the end they fail to reach that level of details for all the remaining environment, they will have no other choice to downgrade the arcade cabinet in order to respect some unity. After all, isn't Yu Suzuki a perfectionnist? :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm just not expecting enough (beside hoping for a true Shenmue atmosphere) but I would be happy with the graphics as they are right now.

Manage to release the game within 2017 would be a miracle already and judging by how far they have come, only inspires respect to me for Yu Suzuki and the YsNet team.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby ManoTemple » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 am

I'd be happy with Shenmue IIx graphics as long as the story is satisfying.
ManoTemple
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Jibby » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:21 am

ManoTemple wrote: I'd be happy with Shenmue IIx graphics as long as the story is satisfying.

Would be a bit off putting for newcomers though which Shenmue III needs to appeal to.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III