Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Postby Jibby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm

I feel it was more of a cutscene test run rather than a trailer. Transitions like that would have been done in the editing software rather than in engine if it was for a trailer. That way they wouldn't need to re-record it if they wanted to change the timings.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 pm

The journal is the key to it, because the journal opens as if in gameplay. So cutscene test makes no sense. The portion with Ryo standing there at night isn't a cutscene either (cue the world map on the bottom). I'm not seeing anything that indicates a cutscene test.

Combined with the filter put on top of Ryo pushing furniture scene as if it was a flashback and the journal transition it really doesn't seem like a cutscene test at all.

10 bucks it's a trailer.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:57 pm

I agree with Himuro, too much points make no sense. If it was indeed a cutscene test, why put a work-in-progress caption there?

Infact, it looks like the trailer we always assumed to get in February. Instead we got the making of. :lol:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Jibby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Yokosuka wrote: I agree with Himuro, too much points make no sense. If it was indeed a cutscene test, why put a work-in-progress caption there?

I get the feeling that they overlay it in the engine whenever the office is being recorded.

I can appreciate your optimism though and I hope you're right :P

Jibby has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:39 pm

That filtered cutscene/notebook segment still looks like they were reviewing/testing a hint system to me, tbh.

Yokosuka wrote: I agree with Himuro, too much points make no sense. If it was indeed a cutscene test, why put a work-in-progress caption there?

Like Jibby says, the caption is always there as an overlay while they've got the game running.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:58 pm

What about the gameplay shot of Ryo standing there?

Didn't it say qte test when Ryo was pushing the stuff?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Himuro wrote: What about the gameplay shot of Ryo standing there?

Didn't it say qte test when Ryo was pushing the stuff?

Seems like they were in the middle of a FREE Quest when the night cutscene triggered, either cuz' Nightfall or as a part of the quest they were checking with Yu.

The pushing stuff was after the "Development Room Vol 2" title card, the QTE test title card was at the very start of the video where they were testing the arcade cabinet, so they don't seem related.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:08 am

Rewatched again.

Could be a trailer, might not be.

1. The gray circle in the furniture pushing scene at 00:29
2. Transition to notebook which is clearly gameplay.
3. It's pretty clear to me that the clip on the monitor is being ran in a video player. Looks like Windows Media Player Classic, in fact.

So it could be a video he's got playing as thought.

4. One thing to consider is 1:29. Notice the map. During the scene that pops up the map is still there.

I'm convinced that's our first look at nightfall in Shenmue III.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:11 am

Himuro's definitely right about that being Media Player Classic. The scene at 1:29 is being rendered in engine however. You can see that Unreal is the active window in the taskbar.

I still don't think the footage is trailer footage though. The hard cut from what seems to be a flashback to the journal doesn't look right to me, even from a gameplay standpoint. I don't think that scene is quite finished yet.

Interesting stuff. I guess we just need to wait and see.

Jibby has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Himuro
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 am

I think also that is a video. But just to hire another developers or to advertise the game for another studios.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Jibby wrote: Himuro's definitely right about that being Media Player Classic. The scene at 1:29 is being rendered in engine however. You can see that Unreal is the active window in the taskbar.

I still don't think the footage is trailer footage though. The hard cut from what seems to be a flashback to the journal doesn't look right to me, even from a gameplay standpoint. I don't think that scene is quite finished yet.

Interesting stuff. I guess we just need to wait and see.

Good eye.

Yeah, we'll have to see! Can't wait to see the fruits of their labor and love!

As an aside, I think the scrubs guy is kind of cute. I thought he was hot with those glasses on. :heart: :king:

Himuro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Not to interrupt your conversation, but this update was amazing. I mean i have no idea why i have went though this video pausing it frame by frame, and just falling in love with it over and over. How can i be so excited over the textures of a QTE arcade machine.

But that's what we all share, and that's the biggest reason that this update was amazing. This is the first time i have properly felt excited about the forums and Shenmue 3 since it's announcement. All the golden nuggets in this update really has shown why this place is awesome. Grown men and women going through a video frame by frame to find out anything at all about this game. This topic has brought be back to 2004 when this place felt Shenmue related, and full of fans who truly love the series. Everyone posting in here, trying to find clues has been the first I've gotten excited about in a very long time. Even old faces popping in and talking about it, and even Yama posting. I can't wait for any more updates and of course, E3.

Peter has received 6 thanks from: bebolejia, FlagshipFighter, Himuro, Jibby, Kiske, SheepheadCG
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:42 pm

When the first trailer drops I am going to go through every second multiple times. :D

Peter, it's hard to describe but Shenmue III is easily my most anticipated game of all time. I'm sure others agree. \:D/
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Spaghetti wrote: It's not part of a trailer. That whole "Meeting With Yu" section of the video looks like a collection of live gameplay demonstrations and checks. It does look like a cutscene of some kind included in the part they were checking, though.

Yu-san primarily sits in the position we have always seen him in. He rarely will leave that chair. The process is, like it's always been with Shenmue development, is that each of the developers will go to the main table at arranged times to present what they have been working on, on the main TV screen. Yu has a huge pointer stick and he will go through absolutely everything that is right, and also what he wants changed. Or that something he has asked to be changed has not been done right.
These meetings can be with an individual developer, or with a group of them together if it relates to developmental duties which cross fields. For inspirstion and reference, the cupboards on the side of the office contain all resources, from each game, guide books, and of course, the multiple folders which make up the Shenmue "bible" as it's known.

There isn't a single thing in this game, that has not been locked in without Yu-san having the final decision, and things are done exactly to his liking. Despite being a Kickstarted game, he is as relentless in his desire for quality as you could possibly imagine.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Hazuki00, Himuro, rdk_nl, Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Amir » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:45 pm

I'd be happy now with no more updates until a trailer at E3. This teased just enough, I want that first proper trailer to hit hard.

Amir has received a thanks from: Himuro
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III