Postby Gromber » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:51 am

Image Image Image Image Image

Gromber has received a thanks from: KidMarine
Gromber
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:52 am

To all complaining about Ryo's model, keep in mind this is not how he will look when the game is released. I believe the character models are one of the last things they add in development.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby NekoFever » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:53 am

I see they're using a Shenmue II Premiere Guide in their meetings. I wonder if there's any information to mine from it \:D/
NekoFever
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 am

Peter wrote:
Kiske wrote:

Either Dr Who has showed up, or that must be the phone box in the little village where you can make your phone calls back home (on the right)

Nice eye.

I guess this may be Bailu? Does any of it look familiar?
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 am

Yea it's small so this is still Bailu Village. Choubu is far bigger, with a harbour and stuff. Then Baisha will be the biggest area from what I've seen.

So it makes sense the landscapes and layouts are locked in, and it's now time to fill this world with content, like arcade machines, story elements etc. as seen in this video. So before people give off about how they must not have much designed or began work on this, that and the other, then please don't. Have faith. They are just fulfilling their KS pledge to give us updates, but at the same time, not show off the majority of the game.

And just for reference, if anyone's interested, they do seem to be clever with what is on their monitors because despite seeing them in their almost full form with placeholders, they have never once shown Choubu it Baisha in an update.

Peter has received 4 thanks from: KidMarine, Kiske, Telekill, VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby KidMarine » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:07 am

Spaghetti wrote:
Peter wrote:
Kiske wrote:

Either Dr Who has showed up, or that must be the phone box in the little village where you can make your phone calls back home (on the right)

Nice eye.

I guess this may be Bailu? Does any of it look familiar?

Does that stuff in the middle look similar to Miao Village to anyone else?

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Mr357
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12 am

Yep and look really hard at the size of the character models in relation to the size of the area, and buildings. This game will not be a small game. Choubu is bigger than this, and Baisha is bigger than Choubu. Can you imagine walking down from that path on the left, just walking around this little area, listening to the sounds of the environment, interacting with NCPs.

This is fucking Shenmue 3 right there.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: DreamcastPast, KidMarine, Monkei, Spaghetti, Telekill
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Sannyasin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 am

Peter wrote: Yep and look really hard at the size of the character models in relation to the size of the area, and buildings. This game will not be a small game. Choubu is bigger than this, and Baisha is bigger than Choubu. Can you imagine walking down from that path on the left, just walking around this little area, listening to the sounds of the environment, interacting with NCPs.

Reading that left me in a very hyped state. Can't wait
Sannyasin

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:28 am

The what sticks out and what doesn't on the UI minimap is interesting. At about 1:22 you can see the Shenmue tree on it, so I'm thinking it probably has some gameplay relevance that needs signposting?

Maybe Yu meant Skill Tree System literally.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Monkei
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 am

Yea that could be a possibility, but also one thing I will say that I've also seen, is that they could be developer tools, for them to reference the layout of where they are and where they can go from what point in the sandbox. But yea, it looks like a minimap at this point, which better have an option to disable! I don't want a map, i want completely lost in this world, to get lost, learn, and for it to become as much a home as what Dobuita, Hong Kong and Guilin have been for 15 years.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Telekill » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:45 am

This is a really nice update. I'm really excited that this game is truly feeling like Shenmue instead of something half baked. I had doubts after the 15 year wait that they could capture the same magic but it seems with so many from the original two games returning that they have managed to do just that. I can't wait to play the continuation.

I will say that it's a bit disappointing to read in the update that they are "painfully aware" of our anticipation. To me that reads that too many of us have been annoying the dev team far too often; especially after the delay of the latest update. Maybe those contacting the dev team either directly or indirectly should tone it down a bit. At least until after E3.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby delvec19 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:50 am

Peter wrote: Yep and look really hard at the size of the character models in relation to the size of the area, and buildings. This game will not be a small game. Choubu is bigger than this, and Baisha is bigger than Choubu. Can you imagine walking down from that path on the left, just walking around this little area, listening to the sounds of the environment, interacting with NCPs.

Hey Peter,

Wondering if you saw any of this in the trailer shown to you at the Japan dinner? And if so, how much more than this did you see if at all?
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 am

Telekill wrote: This is a really nice update. I'm really excited that this game is truly feeling like Shenmue instead of something half baked. I had doubts after the 15 year wait that they could capture the same magic but it seems with so many from the original two games returning that they have managed to do just that. I can't wait to play the continuation.

I will say that it's a bit disappointing to read in the update that they are "painfully aware" of our anticipation. To me that reads that too many of us have been annoying the dev team far too often; especially after the delay of the latest update. Maybe those contacting the dev team either directly or indirectly should tone it down a bit. At least until after E3.

I was talking to Joel last week and he said there are some "animated" fans but he appreciates the passion behind every email. He passes on every email to the YSNET team, which he is supposed to do, but he says the emails are nothing to what we have to contend with on the front line. Trying to keep all the Shenmue fan sites across the board afloat, in order, and temper expectations at the hardest times, like when there are no updates. Hence, the painful awareness. They want to update us, but they know they are so busy and have to be careful about what they can show. I mean if they are filling Baisha with story elements and scenarios then they can hardly run around with a camera for a Dev Video update if it's within their strategy to show the early levels of the game only in KS Updates.

Peter has received a thanks from: Telekill
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kiske » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:53 am

Did a few new video grabs (directly frame per frame from the source video).

This is the best I can get of a few scenes/assets and the intriguing mini-map.

Kiske has received 4 thanks from: iyapol, Monkei, Mr357, O Rei do Frango Assado
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 am

delvec19 wrote:

Hey Peter,

Wondering if you saw any of this in the trailer shown to you at the Japan dinner? And if so, how much more than this did you see if at all?

No this all seems to be ingame development, specific to details, placement of 3D objects, mechanics etc. The trailer we seen was a lot of the cutscenes that would take place on the game.

Take the opening of Shenmue 2, meeting Joy, going on the bus to Kowloon, meeting Ren, the cave, the rooftop etc... Take all those cutscenes and mash them together with a musical overlay as a trailer for Shenmue 2, and that's more or less what we got for our trailer of Shenmue 3.

Peter has received a thanks from: delvec19
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III