Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #65: Dev room update

Postby Himuro » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:23 pm

Sappharad wrote:
Himuro wrote: Ryo's jacket looks so much better now. The patch actually looks like a jacket patch now for instance. Can't wait to see this games final version.

I agree about the jacket looking better, but it's still the wrong color. The original was dark brown leather, this one looks more like a tan color. If you search google images for "dark brown leather jacket" plenty of the results are real leather in colors that more closely match the original.

No you don't. Most of the results on "dark brown leather jacket" are far too dark.

The new jacket isn't tan at all. It's a brown and mostly the same color as the old model's. Problem is, the old model had no actual lighting or reflection so they had to put at all of that detail into the jacket itself, which made it look darker than it really should be. But the old jacket is pretty much the same color as the new one.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 am

Hey everyone! I haven't really written my reaction to this awesome update outside of the twitch streams etc but I want to shed light as to why I am excited. This game is coming along really well and I also think these updates will slowly help to set peoples expectations onto what this game will actually be like as it heads towards its eventual release.

Before the kickstarter announcement ever happened, I expect whenever people envision a potential Shenmue 3 it was something similar to what was seen in the Yakuza 6 trailer perhaps where it would be really grand in its budget and aiming to redefine the genre that it's in etc. And I actually feel that a more modest budget (even though it's still a decent amount!) is going to do more good for Shenmue 3 than a blank cheque was ever going to do.

Shenmue 3 from the get-go seems to have a lot more focus/vision in terms of what they want to accomplish and the new update really communicates that well. The notebook, the simple act of opening cupboards and the chair, the QTE's and (potentially) the Nightfall fade that Himuro speculated all give the impression of this being a direct sequel without any other concerns/guff based on contemporary trends. It just feels as if I can jump into the game with the same mindset as if I was 12 year old again! :-) It's so cool to see all the dev's team comeback and be willing to do it (I'm sure fans of many other franchises could say the same thing!)

Another great reason to get excited about Shenmue 3 is that this is by FAR the best generation for it to happen outside of DC/Xbox OG. Could you imagine if Shenmue 3 was made for the Xbox 360/PS3 era? Not only would it present more limitations tech-wise for the team but it would've incredibly more expensive for them to produce. The best advantage of current gen isn't necessarily in CPU+GPU but just the ease of the development environment and the tools/engine (like UE4) allowing indies to do more faster and spend much less. It doesn't surprise me at all the pace at which Peter describes was accomplished, and it's great to hear that UE4 is indeed doing wonders for them.

I want to also convince some of you guys that I don't think the budget will be too much of a concern for it's impact on quality the game, especially in terms of scope and fidelity. I think the team is making the right decision in terms of focusing on the world/game logic elements first atm, that imo is the real star of Shenmue, not how pristine Ryo's hairs looks like atm. You gotta 'feel' Shenmue as well as see it (+the audio is obviously a HUGE part of the shenmue experience, no doubt is it guaranteed to strive in this regard). Despite what we've discussed about different teams handling different assets, the world looks incredible and the attention to detail. As Spags mentions, it is often better to leave the finishing touches like the models for later especially if they're working in a small group, which often brings its own advantages especially in terms of communication. A lot of this reminds me of what I saw during the Broken Sword 5 kickstarter, especially when details such as the face sticks out to the fans, but eventually:

I'm glad YS.net have included disclaimers at the bottom of the game footage whenever they show this stuff now!

There are a lot of videogames achieving so much with so little these days, people often mention the Witcher 3 in terms of budget+output of quality but I actually want to instead bring up two other games with pretty low budgets (+ don't have the advantage of tax breaks etc in their country) which are getting their own 3rd entries after so long within the next month: Dreamfall Chapters (for consoles) and Syberia 3. The originals were point and click adventures as you can see but it doesn't mean the latest entries are lacking in their vision. For me this genre is one of the reasons why I've always like shenmue so much at the time with aspects of how the game felt like an evolution to the storytelling seen in adventure games. It still seems crazy to me what is accomplished here with so little.

Syberia 1:
Syberia 3:

The Longest Journey (Dreamfall 1):
Dreamfall 2:
Dreamfall 3:

Onto features, perhaps the notebook tabs will cover events from previous games and chapters? I think that would be really cool. I also think it would be really interesting to discuss/debate (formally! xD) what concessions fans are willing to make for this game if it comes to it (such as full voice-overs, lips sync and and fighting sequences) I can understand people's concern over time for them just because they're so challenging for any game of any budget to accomplish but we've gotta just believe and hope in this regard. And I believe the father of VF knows what's best for the game. Personally voice-over was important to me at one time but I think it's become less important for me personally (especially after the Yakuza games, funnily the lack of it at first was so jarring to me at first lol).

Apologies if this post was lengthy but as you can see, there's just so much to be happy about I couldn't keep quiet about it! I'm really excited about the direction this game is heading in, the timing and passion involved all-round. Revisiting the older game briefly, I don't it's out of question for them to achieve that Shenmue roaming experience in 2017/18 again, they've got all the ingredients to do this and imo the experience distils down to a matter of the dev's unique taste and approach I think.

(It's going to be a bit scary for when this game does get closer to it's eventual release though, I don't think I'm physically or emotionally prepared for it yet xD.)

FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Himuro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:16 am

Excellent post, Flagship!

The direct sequel thing is both good and bad. Good because that's what I want. Bad because I'm scared how non-fans will react to it.

Himuro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:14 pm

We had discussions for years about how Shenmue III could happen. There was two crowds, one that thought Shenmue would never be done properly without said "blank check" and would rather see III never happen than seeing it poorly done.

The other, understood that no one would ever pick up Shenmue and that crowd sourcing was viable. I always alternated between the two camps because it's like if the LOTR film trilogy ended at Two Towers and fans had to pay out of their pocket to see the Return of the King done in low budget form.

If it's true that world design in Shenmue is important, I believe character interaction is certainly as vital. Players need to feel they are playing with Ryo Hazuki and not a low budget version of it. It's kinda cool to see footage of Ryo moving stuff around in Shenhua's house but it would be more impressive seeing them interact with each other in game. From a gameplay perspective I would also want to see some Free Battle, to at least confirm it's getting done.

I know people here lose their minds over any little detail or critique but I would rather let things out of my chest as development goes along than rant after the game gets released.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sappharad » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Huh. The colour looks accurate to me.

You don't see the difference? The colors look completely different to me. The original (both in your screenshot from the game, and this photo of the actual jacket) is more brown, while the model looks reddish.

Still, it's fine. I'm actually okay with the updated jacket as look as the rest is recognizable.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Ryo's jacket in I and II isn't that color either.

Since when is Ryo's jacket that dark?

Again.

Ryo's jacket was never as dark as the one you posted.

The old jacket isn't the same exact color as the new one but the new one is also being lit by a light source and the old one also had to be shaded for detail because they lacked the tech to make it look like actual leather. You might be thinking the shading in the jacket is its actual color. It isn't.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Gastarot » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 am

FlagshipFighter your exemples is good but to cold for me, I prefere Yu Suzuki style more arcade more warm colors.
Gastarot
Banned
Banned

PSN: Gastarot
Steam: Gastarot
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jet Set Radio

Postby Snakiest » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 am

Man, I am in the mood for some new screenshots. I've been patient all this time, but now I am starting to feel a good kind of excitement. I am ready for anything - Shenmue 3 can be terrible, lambasted by critics, hated by other gamers, I will be happy just for the fact it exists. It feels like a triumph to me for some reason.

So! Bring me another update!

Snakiest has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:46 am

It's the new update itch.

Not long now, though! Just a few more weeks.

Or maybe days, if they're updating every half a month now.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby khmlight3 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Snakiest wrote: Man, I am in the mood for some new screenshots. I've been patient all this time, but now I am starting to feel a good kind of excitement. I am ready for anything - Shenmue 3 can be terrible, lambasted by critics, hated by other gamers, I will be happy just for the fact it exists. It feels like a triumph to me for some reason.
So! Bring me another update!

Shenmue III needs to be good it should!
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:40 pm

So, we're about two days out from the last chance for an April update*.

*Unless one drops on the weekend, which I don't believe has happened at all before.

Expectations, hopes, theories?

Although I personally thought before that the monthly update structure would return based on what was said in the March update, I get the feeling now that YSnet are going to play by their own rules and it'll either be silence until E3 or something dropping late in early May.

Why? Just the workload. Even the Slacker Backer site hasn't updated in a few weeks. It's all hands on-deck for YSnet and AJ both, probably. If surveys and add-ons are going out in the Summer as we've been told, then I guess there's a logistics element at play as well as full-scale production work that are keeping people busy.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I was about to write if we may get another small update by Friday. I'm actually looking forward too see another peek into Shenmue III this week.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 pm

Mm. Makes me wonder what they'll actually show, if they do update.

We're getting to the point where they're risking blowing the first big gameplay reveal by accident, because inevitably the footage they're showing is getting closer and closer to the game we'll eventually be playing. I think that's why the March update only really offered the most fleeting of glimpses of the game itself.

If you compare the first Dev Room video and the second, there's a gulf of difference despite still being a development environment. It was easier to show stuff more clearly in the first video because it didn't look like a game yet. Now they don't quite have that luxury, and if they're saving stuff for a more elaborate reveal it may understandably be difficult to show stuff without lessening the impact of a full re-reveal.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:00 pm

I would be very happy if they talk in the next update about Shemue 3 progress and only show us artwork and no gameplay footage. Do you think they already have english voices recorded yet? I can't wait to listen to the new songs in Shenmue III and the trailer music.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

I'm so eager to see a new update that I can not wait another month!
I do not know what they can show this time, but I'm sure we will not see much of the game, maybe some screens?

On the other hand, I really don't see why it's so much work to update the slacker backer page or writing some letters for the update. They could just make a video with Yu explaining some mechanics of the game in a room where we can't see a thing of the game a this could be just two minutes of work. They could too screen capture two or four images of the game and that's it!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III