Ryo's picture poll

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

What does Yu do with the photos? (Total votes: 22)

Keeps the Dreamcast graphics for them
32%
Remodels them in Unreal 4
45%
Most of the characters in the photos will appear in III so he already has assets for them
5%
Other
18%

Ryo's picture poll

Postby Jesse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

I was wondering since we'll be getting a notebook, Phoenix mirror and etc updated in the Unreal 4 engine. My question is what does Yu do with the photos Ryo has? I think it may be a bit jarring with the difference of graphics if he keeps them the same. At the same time I don't see him redoing the models for Nozomi, Joy, Xiuying, Inesan etc for just the pictures.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Re: Ryo's picture poll

Postby Himuro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Remodel.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:27 pm

They're 2D images, so surely the artists can just "draw" them without recreating the characters and background scenery as 3D objects?
Last edited by Let's Get Sweaty on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby BlackHeaven » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:31 pm

I think the photos will disappear entirely in III.
BlackHeaven
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm

The photos are a little blurred. They don't have to go so far into the details anyway.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:54 pm

I think at least half of the characters who appear in the photos will also be available to talk with via the international phonecard. They may just go through the effort to remodel the rest of the characters for new photos.

However - this works on the assumption they do a split-screen thing to show the characters on the phone, which they might not.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Serenade » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:06 pm

I don't think the photos will even be included, if they do I doubt they would be the dreamcast's version from 1 and 2. So I have voted "Other"
Serenade

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Spaghetti wrote:However - this works on the assumption they do a split-screen thing to show the characters on the phone, which they might not.

That seems like a lot of unnecessary extra effort for a part of the game that only a fraction of players are eligible to experience.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:That seems like a lot of unnecessary extra effort for a part of the game that only a fraction of players are eligible to experience.

The phonecard will end up being available to all Shenmue III owners at some point. Locking away that content only to KS backers with that pledge tier (or higher) doesn't really make much sense - and they probably know that.

All the same, it's more dependant on how elaborate YSnet wants to get with the phone calls. Realistically, it'll probably just be voice only; but they may surprise us yet with a few fully rendered cameos.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Spaghetti wrote:The phonecard will end up being available to all Shenmue III owners at some point. Locking away that content only to KS backers with that pledge tier (or higher) doesn't really make much sense - and they probably know that.

Guess I'll look forward to the reaction of those who voted against giving even PayPal backers the chance to purchase that feature. :lol:
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:Guess I'll look forward to the reaction of those who voted against giving even PayPal backers the chance to purchase that feature. :lol:

In principle, it's really only the right thing to do to let people have the chance to get that content. KS backers will have a chance to upgrade this Summer, but beyond that it's still locked out to a lot of people who are going to play the game.

YSnet may have snookered themselves on the PR end of it that could make releasing that content to everybody a bit tricky to handle, though.

If it's offered for free, people will complain that backers were milked on KS for a higher pledge on content that would later just be given away.

If it's paid-for DLC, people will complain about the value proposition if it's the same amount as the KS tier upgrade (+$20, right?), or if it's cheaper than the KS tier upgrade we'll have the same milking complaint as if it were offered for free.

Now that I think about it, actually keeping the content exclusive on a permanent basis may be the way to avoid a larger scale controversy...
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Centrale » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Spaghetti wrote:YSnet may have snookered themselves on the PR end of it that could make releasing that content to everybody a bit tricky to handle, though.

Yeah, not to drift the topic too much but personally I think the whole rewards aspect of Kickstarter is a tricky scenario and shouldn't have as much emphasis as it does. The developers are already taking on a huge challenge just to make the game. Then they also have to manage the logistics of a bunch of stuff that's outside their area of expertise... designing and manufacturing a bunch of physical collectibles. At least with the DLC elements that's something that's comfortably within their range of technical expertise. Writing, editing, laying out and binding an art book? Designing and manufacturing capsule toys? They're dealing with entirely different production pipelines in different industries and trying to get the timing to work out just right. There's a lot that can go wrong and a lot of hair-trigger toxic entitled backers. Hopefully it all goes okay.

On topic: I think the characters/pictures should be re-modeled or re-illustrated to bring everything aesthetically in line with III.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SMDzero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

YsNet should just renege on their backer promises and channel the unused reward fulfillment funds into the game's development.

If everyone gave up their useless and trivial "rewards" we'd get the $10 million version of Shenmue 3!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:12 am

If they remodel, they'll have to do a proper 3D model of Nozomi, Xiuying, etc... Which I doubt they will if they're strapped for money/time.

They'll probably keep it as is... Maybe touch it up a bit in PS.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 am

Centrale wrote:Yeah, not to drift the topic too much but personally I think the whole rewards aspect of Kickstarter is a tricky scenario and shouldn't have as much emphasis as it does. The developers are already taking on a huge challenge just to make the game. Then they also have to manage the logistics of a bunch of stuff that's outside their area of expertise... designing and manufacturing a bunch of physical collectibles. At least with the DLC elements that's something that's comfortably within their range of technical expertise. Writing, editing, laying out and binding an art book? Designing and manufacturing capsule toys? They're dealing with entirely different production pipelines in different industries and trying to get the timing to work out just right. There's a lot that can go wrong and a lot of hair-trigger toxic entitled backers. Hopefully it all goes okay.

In theory, Awesome Japan (and Fangamer, who AJ have farmed rewards fulfilment out to) should be handling the day to day of managing the production pipeline of the rewards; so hopefully not too much of YSnet's time is spent approving/making notes on changes/providing required assets.

As long as YSnet are timely in doing their part everything should sort itself out from there. Quite notably some of Mighty Number 9's physical rewards have yet to go out because of Comcept not providing art assets to Fangamer.

Of course, something always goes wrong with physical rewards fulfilment. I don't think I've followed a single crowdfunded game where there wasn't some hiccup or delay on a physical aspect.

All the same, that lynchmob of idiots in the KS comments will find something to complain about.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Return to Shenmue III