December 2017 is fastly approaching!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: December 2017 is fastly approaching!

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:08 am

To be honest, even if they manage to meet the targeted release date, I would much prefer a 6 month delay for optimization and polishing.
There is too much at stake for the Shenmue Series to fail the launch with a glitched/bugged game like Mass Effect Andromeda seems to be.

That's where Shenmue 1&2 remasters in 2017 would come handy... it would ease the pressure on YsNet for those additional "dev" month.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:17 am

Mass Effect Andromeda is definitely yet another good example that you can't ship a buggy game and expect players not to notice the defects as a result, but there are more reasons than just development time that it came out like that.

Andromeda had close to 5 years in development by most accounts I can find, but there were numerous staffing issues with project leads leaving development, engine and tools problems going from UE3 to Frostbite, and an unscrupulous publisher like EA who shoved the game out the door before the end of their fiscal year without a care about the state of the game.

That's more why Andromeda came out like it did (and why it would still be very flawed even if bug-free), and less just a matter of needing more time in the oven.

Thankfully YSnet and Shenmue III appear in a much better position on numerous fronts.

I guess my point is that even if Shenmue III releases in December 2017 as planned it doesn't automatically mean that they're releasing it as unfinished or compromised.

Spaghetti has received 2 thanks from: Elevensixty, Himuro
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Elevensixty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 pm

The above 2 posts sum up my thoughts exactly: A rushed, buggy release of Shenmue 3 would be bad. A wait is, at this point in a Shenmue fan's perspective, no issue, however either delayed or on time, the team deserves our trust and patience.
Shenmue HD releases, perhaps even just Shenmue 1 for starters, would be sooooo good for everyone involved!
Let's push harder for Shenmue HD!

Elevensixty has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:07 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Shenmue_Trilogy wrote: Only 8 months until release and we still have not seen ryos final face or any new version of his face after e3 ( not counting the photshoped face on a few screenshots). I am 100 % sure the game we be delayed! I think by the end of 2018.

We should hope they will release the game in first place instead of hoping it will be released in 8 months. Thats my only concern.

I don't get the focus on Ryo's face as a barometer for when the game might launch.

Because Ryo is the main character and after 1,5 years not knowing how his face looks and how its animated its IMO not a good sign. ...but ryos face is only one thing of the whole picture. I also don't understand why many fans accepting photoshoped screenshots that easily? "Yeah its just a placeholder"...for 1,5 years placeholder?
Back to topic: What we got so far?

- Some early footage without any ingame gameplay mechanics
- Some screenshots of photohoped Ryos face and other scenes
- Some information through the kickstarter updates

No real ingame gameplay and no new trailer!..only 8 months before release! Well, I try to look on the whole situation more realistic and in my view it doesn't look good for a release by the end of 2017. Lets wait and see what we get at E3.

Shenmue_Trilogy has received 3 thanks from: Gavan, mjq jazz bar, SickOctopus
Shenmue_Trilogy
Master of the Three Blades

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Yeah, it's pretty nuts to think the game is coming out in a few months when all we've seen is some pretty early looking environments, no fighting scenes and a laughable looking main character. Maybe they're holding all the good stuff close to their chests, but I don't buy it. I don't see how they'll benefit from showing so little so close to launch. I find it more likely that the game is still very early and will probably be delayed. I guess I'm not a true believer who believes every official word published to the Kickstarter, but I do think I'm realistic.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:36 pm

I really don't understand why so much time and energy is spent on debating whether the game will be delayed or not. The only information we have is that they're still on track for December. That may change. But if it does or it doesn't, some people have already gone gray from insisting it will or it won't.

We simply don't know, and we have no control over it, so let's find some healthier way to pass the time until the release date is either nailed down or pushed back. Then whoever finds it necessary can get their lucky "I told you sos" in and we can all review matters from a more informed position.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Kiske
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Shenmue_Trilogy wrote:Because Ryo is the main character and after 1,5 years not knowing how his face looks and how its animated its IMO not a good sign. ...but ryos face is only one thing of the whole picture. I also don't understand why many fans accepting photoshoped screenshots that easily? "Yeah its just a placeholder"...for 1,5 years placeholder?
Back to topic: What we got so far?

- Some early footage without any ingame gameplay mechanics
- Some screenshots of photohoped Ryos face and other scenes
- Some information through the kickstarter updates

No real ingame gameplay and no new trailer!..only 8 months before release! Well, I try to look on the whole situation more realistic and in my view it doesn't look good for a release by the end of 2017. Lets wait and see what we get at E3.

Well, to go back to the bit of my post you didn't address; Shenmue III has not yet reappeared in a wider press/promotional context, which is an important factor here that cannot be ignored.

I've talked before about the smoke and mirrors of modern video game development through accelerating certain sections of the game for trailers/carefully stage managed hands-off demos. I made a comparison a while ago to the very advanced looking FF15 trailer from Sony's 2013 E3 and how it took three and a half years to release, and that still rings true. Even from the first playable demo of FF15 it took over a year and a half to release.

The Kickstarter is giving us a pretty honest account of game development where the budget cannot account for routinely cutting two months out of wider development to make key assets pretty for a press conference. Presentation is currently taking a back seat to function, which is the smart long term decision. There's work being done in those areas, but it's spread out and happening in an iterative fashion.

Simply said, YSnet aren't making the mistake of short term glory by following the mostly bullshit traditional AAA press cycle. They don't have the benefit of making Shenmue III away from scrutinising eyes, but the point still stands that they're properly prioritising right now.

Why is there an emerging trend of games being revealed mere months before release (recent example: Shadow of Mordor sequel)? Because it cuts down on time and money expenditure making a game look presentable earlier for promotional purposes. Even the AAA games industry are realising their drawn out press cycles are inefficient.

I'm not arguing that the game will make 2017. The point I'm trying to make is; how a game looks is not a very good yardstick for judging completion.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:25 pm

I don't know either way and I hope to be surprised. I can wait another year or two, though, and hope they take as much time as is financially possible. I just have trouble believing a game of this scope can be made in what amounts to a year and a half.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:04 pm

I just don't see it making the December launch window, but it is obvious they are working very hard. We shall see what substance comes our way in the next two months in terms of updates.

They could simply reveal Ryos final model in May and that would be significant enough for me.

I feel confident that we are gearing up for a big reveal at E3, but we must temper our expectation a little bit. The burn is still there from PSX. A no-show at E3 would definitely spell a substantial delay, to no one's surprise, but it could also start triggering the clickbait articles about troubling development.

The E3 reveal MUST do justice or not be shown at all if you ask me. Mighty No. 9 suffered the first of it's irreparable damage when the first true trailer looked nothing like the promised concept video, far from it in many ways.

Shenmue doesn't have to be Heavy Rain / Uncharted visual and facial quality and no one should expect it to be, but it must be strong enough to stand on Sony's stage and not be ridiculed. I feel they'll do it right or not at all.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Valascaziel wrote: I just don't see it making the December launch window, but it is obvious they are working very hard. We shall see what substance comes our way in the next two months in terms of updates.

They could simply reveal Ryos final model in May and that would be significant enough for me.

I feel confident that we are gearing up for a big reveal at E3, but we must temper our expectation a little bit. The burn is still there from PSX. A no-show at E3 would definitely spell a substantial delay, to no one's surprise, but it could also start triggering the clickbait articles about troubling development.

The E3 reveal MUST do justice or not be shown at all if you ask me. Mighty No. 9 suffered the first of it's irreparable damage when the first true trailer looked nothing like the promised concept video, far from it in many ways.

Shenmue doesn't have to be Heavy Rain / Uncharted visual and facial quality and no one should expect it to be, but it must be strong enough to stand on Sony's stage and not be ridiculed. I feel they'll do it right or not at all.

Do you see it being delayed to Spring 2018?
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 pm

Valascaziel wrote: I just don't see it making the December launch window, but it is obvious they are working very hard. We shall see what substance comes our way in the next two months in terms of updates.

I still see it releasing in December they still said its going to release in December.
khmlight3

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:56 pm

Summer is when we should know I think.
khmlight3

Postby SMDzero » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 am

khmlight3 wrote:

Summer is when we should know I think.

I ask everyone who attended the Yu Suzuki dinner last September in Japan: based on the state of the game then that you saw are you convinced that a December release is possible?

SMDzero has received a thanks from: celsowm
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:35 am

I would say yes. You guys don't have to believe us, but what Spaghetti was saying about smoke and mirrors, and what they have revealed in Kickstarter updates compared to what we have seen, they are playing their cards very close to their chest. No bullshit or joking about here, and Adam, Matt, George, Jessica and Joe will back me up on this 100%.

Understand how much money i personally had to give, and the sacrifices i am still having to make to this day, to be sitting there on that bus. Do you really think Yu and the gang turned around and said, "peeps we are fucked here. We only have a shitty Ryo model and a fishing pond to show ya, but please, big it up to the hills when you get back and make it seem like we know what we are doing. Thanks buddy.". If i seen something i wasn't happy with, then trust me they would have heard about it. In fact, there was one thing that i was unhappy with, but i wasn't going to say anything. But after talking with Matt (sitting beside me) he brought up the same thing. Did we say something? Damn right we did. It was about the QTE sequence we seen and we were not happy with aspects of it. Yu himself humbly apologised..... Let that sink in. Yu Suzuki is fucking apologising to us?? That's how humble he is. He knows what he needs to do, and how demanding us hardcore Shenmue fans are. He knows what we want and expect. He assured that it was still early testing and that it was being worked on, like every aspect of the game. But this was a fully rendered and animated QTE sequence with black suits, much in the style of the White Dynasty QTE sequence from Shenmue 2.

Do i think the game is going to be delayed? Of course. What game isn't these days. But the reasons i have are the opposite, in that the game could probably be released in December on schedule, but i know Yu will agonise over EVERY detail and pixel in this game. Every line of dialogue and how it's spoken. How the animations look, how the cut scenes are directed. I think this game will be delayed because for the lack of resources he has now compared to what he had at Sega, he will still try and make sure this game goes out looking as ambitious and grandeur the originals were.

So what if it's delayed. Big deal. Are they liars and cheaters! No they are not, and if i see anyone brand the team with slurs like that, they will be warned. What difference does it really make, except for good things. We don't know what's happening, and if 2 fully HD remasters are due to be released over the coming year or so, then by all means take your time YSNET. We have 2 games to keep us preoccupied. We don't know that for sure, but have some faith. Everything will be fine. Before you know it's you will have completed this game over a matter of hours. See when you have completed it, that's when to worry about if there will be a Shenmue 4 or where the future lies. Right now, you know what's coming, so enjoy the ride and the excitement of Kickstarter updates and major gaming events because very soon, it will all come to an end. Stop thinking and worrying about the future and live for the now.

Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Amir » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 am

To be honest, I think the December 2017 date was only ever picked because they never thought the Kickstarter would be such a success, i.e. they thought they'd just reach the $2 million goal, and have to make a barebones sequel without much in the way of game mechanics.

Lucky for us, the Kickstarter was a resounding success, and I'm happy with waiting as long as it takes for the game to be the best it can be.

Amir has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III