December 2017 is fastly approaching!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: December 2017 is fastly approaching!

Postby gillian_seed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 am

Spaghetti wrote: Even if it does get delayed, I'd be surprised if we didn't get the trial version before the initial release window passes. If they're serious about using the trial for feedback purposes, then there's got to be a reasonable amount of time to collect the data and act on it where needed.

Hope to fuck they scrub as much data out of the trial as they can, though. You know someone is going to crack it open and check the assets. Would be shitty if that was how spoilers got out.

Releasing a trial version implies some testing and certification processes which are costly in time (thankfully, not that much on PC). Since I am a bit skeptical on the original release date, I cannot see how they could manage to publish the trial version while keeping the release date.

Anyway, if the game is not going to be delayed, when should we get the trial version? October?

khmlight3 wrote:
SMDzero wrote:
Peter wrote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I disagree with Miyamoto-San

Mighty Number 9 was delayed 27 times and it still isn't good. [-(

Also a rush gamed could theoretically be patched and be good eventually.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is another example I know this is offtopic.

Exactly. No matter how many times ME: Andromeda is patched and even if it is eventually good, it will always be remembered as a bad game. I don't want that for S3 :sad:
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:37 am

gillian_seed wrote:Releasing a trial version implies some testing and certification processes which are costly in time (thankfully, not that much on PC). Since I am a bit skeptical on the original release date, I cannot see how they could manage to publish the trial version while keeping the release date.

Anyway, if the game is not going to be delayed, when should we get the trial version? October?

The trial version is only on PC, remember? It doesn't have to go through the certification hoops you see on consoles. If YSnet is happy to put it out, then they just can. No idea how they'll manage the redemption process yet, though.

As for being able to make the original release window while still putting out the trial - it depends on what form the trial takes. If it's just a cut out of the early game, then it's not much of a herculean task to make both happen on schedule. A semi-bespoke demo scenario, on the other hand, would obviously take more time to create. We just have to hold tight for more information.

Also, because I've seen Mass Effect Andromeda brought up a lot regarding a delay recently, I'll reiterate something I said way earlier in the thread:

That game had five years of development time. During this time the game lost several project leads, had issues with their engine, allegedly suffered under friction from the main BioWare office, and ultimately had an unscrupulous publisher like EA happy to kick the game out the door before the new financial year. Not only that, but many of the criticisms of ME:A go deeper than the general stability of the product, and implies deeper flaws that couldn't be fixed with a delay.

A delay isn't a magic bullet, and many of ME:A's development problems simply don't exist for Shenmue III.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 am

SMDzero wrote:
Peter wrote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I disagree with Miyamoto-San

Mighty Number 9 was delayed 27 times and it still isn't good. [-(

Also a rushed game could theoretically be patched and be good eventually.

Thankfully i don't think Miyamoto gives a toss about the opinions of idiotic trolls, particularly ones who won't be around here for much longer.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby John Doom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:08 am

Well, since you guys are talking about my longtime signature :D , let me tell you that I believe in what Miyamoto said, but SMDzero is not wrong: think of "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines", released in an almost unplayable state. Throughout the years, it has become a hit on Steam because of fan patches and mods. Unfortunately, this rarely happens so, especially from a developer perspective, I think Miyamoto is still right.

About the trial version, some of us paid for it (including me), so I know they'll try to make it happen, but I still wonder how they'll manage to do it, because even if it's just a few quests from the main game, it would still take a lot of time to build, balance and bug fix.
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 am

John Doom wrote:About the trial version, some of us paid for it (including me), so I know they'll try to make it happen, but I still wonder how they'll manage to do it, because even if it's just a few quests from the main game, it would still take a lot of time to build, balance and bug fix.

If it does turn out to be a straight cut off the main game, then I think you might be overestimating the amount of resources dedicated to it a bit.

The majority of the work would be in ensuring stability and trying to scrub out the "hooks" and references to assets/sequences from the main game. The actual design legwork would be already done.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 am

John Doom wrote: Well, since you guys are talking about my longtime signature :D , let me tell you that I believe in what Miyamoto said, but SMDzero is not wrong: think of "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines", released in an almost unplayable state. Throughout the years, it has become a hit on Steam because of fan patches and mods. Unfortunately, this rarely happens so, especially from a developer perspective, I think Miyamoto is still right.

About the trial version, some of us paid for it (including me), so I know they'll try to make it happen, but I still wonder how they'll manage to do it, because even if it's just a few quests from the main game, it would still take a lot of time to build, balance and bug fix.

As Spaghetti pointed out, delays won't do any miracles if the development process is in a bad shape, as it was the case for Mass Effect or Mighty Number 9.

There is absolutely no indication of any (major) structural flaw surrounding the Shenmue 3 development.
At the risk of repeating myself, because it was said many times before, with a more usual game creation process, we wouldn't have heard about Shenmue 3 until late in the development. 2 years is relatively short, but we are definitely in the stage where a game would be revealed for the first time to the public. Does it mean YsNet is already late for a December 2017 release? Maybe. And even if they are on schedule, would a few more month help make Shenmue 3 better? Probably.

What I'm trying to say is that delays are common in this industry. Most of the times, a delay serves a better final product. I'm sure if a delay happens, it will be for the better. In Yu I trust.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 am

This is all small talk until our next titbit of info anyway. :lol:

Next week begins the rodeo of analysis all over again. Hopefully we can get off the stale release date talk.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 am

Spaghetti wrote: This is all small talk until our next titbit of info anyway. :lol:

Next week begins the rodeo of analysis all over again. Hopefully we can get off the stale release date talk.

... And I just can't wait to ride the Bull once again! :lol:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 am

I've just had a thought... What if Shenmue 3 gets delayed? Interested in some views on this. What do you all think? Could it happen? Discuss.

:P

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I've just had a thought... What if Shenmue 3 gets delayed? Interested in some views on this. What do you all think? Could it happen? Discuss.

We can discuss this thought... after all, we are only 11 pages in!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

Thoughts?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby John Doom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:37 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I've just had a thought... What if Shenmue 3 gets delayed? Interested in some views on this. What do you all think? Could it happen? Discuss.

I'm ok if Shenmue 3 gets delayed and I have 100% trust in what YS Net is doing. It could happen, but if it does get delayed, as far as I understand from Biscay interviews, it could be a real problem for them: of course because of the budget, but also probably because of the investors and/or Sony's involvement. So I hope they will be able to release Shenmue 3 on time, hopefully without sacrificing its content, to ensure that Suzuki will be finally able to continue working on his series and make new videogames in the future.
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am

Right, that's settled then. Before anyone else takes me seriously. :D
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Telekill » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:06 am

I think if there's one thing that Shenmue fans have proved, it's that we are patient. Even the more non-patient fans have shown patience for the sequel considering that it's been 15 years. That said, a delay of more than a few months wouldn't bode well for positive PR as Ys Net is wanting this to be a positive experience to draw in a larger fanbase.

khmlight3 wrote:
Mass Effect: Andromeda is another example I know this is offtopic.

I'm actually playing ME Andromeda and have had very few technical issues. For the most part, the claims on the Internet, as always, are blown way out of proportion. The only issues I've had on my regular PS4 is that the first hour of the game had the story cinematics drop to around 15 fps sometimes and the game did freeze once on me when I first tried to land on Eos. I'm about 27 hours into the game now and have been really enjoying it... perhaps even a little more than the original trilogy, though I miss some of my squad from the first few games.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 am

To me is more about making sure that funds are being well spent than a fictional release date than wasn't realistic to begin with.

Off Topic: Andromeda is a gigantic mess of a game.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III