December 2017 is fastly approaching!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: December 2017 is fastly approaching!

Postby adom11800 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:59 am

Centrale wrote:
adom11800 wrote: If it does get delayed though I would imagine that it would be revealed in either two ways.

Right at the end of the trailer with something like __/__/2018 just like Kingdom Heats 2.8
or right before December 2017 they do a video announcement saying they need more time to polish, debug it, etc. Just like what happened with Final Fantasy XV.

A bigger part of me feels like they are doing everything they can to make the release date though.

Personally I would hope that, if it is to be delayed, they would announce that long before the original target date (December). If we get to October, November and it still looks like it's going to be released on time, I'm going to really be feeling intense anticipation at that point. And then at the last minute if they were to say, 'actually it'll be xx/xx/2018'... That would be tougher for me than if they were to announce a delay at E3 or around that time. But realistically, if they do make that decision at the last minute, I would have to accept that it's for the best even though it would be disappointing. Ultimately it's up to me to keep my own expectations in check. I just wonder what their criteria and time frame are for making a decision like that... it might not be something they reveal until years later at a GDC post mortem or equivalent presentation.

Yeah man. 1-3 months delay would be bearable but only for a good reason. I can't say I'm liking the fact some people are saying 'yeah 1 or 2 more years of waiting is no problem, we've waited this long.' Credit to their patience though.

But yeah, the release date is looking good so far.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am

I honestly wonder if YSNet did get some funds before the Kickstarter even started and they were able to work on the game to some degree. Two and a half years does seem like a small development period for a Shenmue game, even with the perks of UE4.

adom11800 wrote: I can't say I'm liking the fact some people are saying 'yeah 1 or 2 more years of waiting is no problem, we've waited this long.'

Because after so long waiting, we don't want an unfinished, buggy mess or something that Yu is unhappy with.
If they need more time, be it a year or so - and they have the funds to cover it - then by all means they should take it and not have to worry about backlash from fans or the Kickstarter crowd. I can understand people are desperate but we were even more desperate when we didn't even have a Shenmue 3 in production. Just let YSNet work their magic.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby adom11800 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am

Sonoshee wrote: I honestly wonder if YSNet did get some funds before the Kickstarter even started and they were able to work on the game to some degree. Two and a half years does seem like a small development period for a Shenmue game, even with the perks of UE4.

adom11800 wrote: I can't say I'm liking the fact some people are saying 'yeah 1 or 2 more years of waiting is no problem, we've waited this long.'

Because after so long waiting, we don't want an unfinished, buggy mess or something that Yu is unhappy with.
If they need more time, be it a year or so - and they have the funds to cover it - then by all means they should take it and not have to worry about backlash from fans or the Kickstarter crowd. I can understand people are desperate but we were even more desperate when we didn't even have a Shenmue 3 in production. Just let YSNet work their magic.

Yeah true, it could be a lot worse. I won't be mad if it something like that happens, just upset. Like you said, I wouldn't be to keen on playing it if Yu Suzki wasn't happy with the final product. To me it seems like he wants to release it in Decemember 2017 but yeah you're right.
adom11800

Postby Kiske » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am

adom11800 wrote:Yeah man. 1-3 months delay would be bearable but only for a good reason. I can't say I'm liking the fact some people are saying 'yeah 1 or 2 more years of waiting is no problem, we've waited this long.' Credit to their patience though.

The game will not get a 2 years delay. I just can't see that happen.

That said, once again, I would be okay with a 12 month delay if necessary. Not because I'm some masochist freak but because a substandard Shenmue 3 would be disastrous for the continuation of the Series.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby adom11800 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

Kiske wrote:
adom11800 wrote:Yeah man. 1-3 months delay would be bearable but only for a good reason. I can't say I'm liking the fact some people are saying 'yeah 1 or 2 more years of waiting is no problem, we've waited this long.' Credit to their patience though.

The game will not get a 2 years delay. I just can't see that happen.

That said, once again, I would be okay with a 12 month delay if necessary. Not because I'm some masochist freak but because a substandard Shenmue 3 would be disastrous for the continuation of the Series.

Good point. A few months delay would be more good then bad.
adom11800

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Unless there is some more investors, the game can not get a long delay because there is no more money than Backers give so they can't pay to developers more than some months i'd say. However,I suppose that Suzuki has all this planned since the beginning and kept some money just this case arises. So many years in this business so this won't get Suzuki by surprise.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:15 pm

A two year delay doesn't seem likely. Even ignoring the obvious monetary factors, the game seen in the March update does not look like a game with another 2 years 8 months left on the clock. If they're deep into playtesting quests as of February, then I'd say even a one year delay is looking a little on the long side.

Sonoshee wrote: I honestly wonder if YSNet did get some funds before the Kickstarter even started and they were able to work on the game to some degree. Two and a half years does seem like a small development period for a Shenmue game, even with the perks of UE4.

They may have gotten a little seed money to get the Kickstarter up and running, but as the Kickstarter was crucial to the game getting made at all, the only development being done prior to the reveal would have been that short demo in the KS pitch video and pure on-paper planning. Anything else would have just been a waste.

We'll see how things pan out in the end, but I think Shenmue III may be a perfect storm of hard work, efficient and modern software tools, modest size, and a clear and concise vision.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby khmlight3 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I know I said this many times but I dont think Shenmue III will get delayed.
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:35 pm

We been waiting so long to play Shenmue III and having to wait another 6-12 months more after Dec would drive me insane. I think im able to handle a delayed to early Spring but a year Im not too sure If I can handle it. The long waiting for the sequel gave me a lot of emotional distress.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Even if it does get delayed, I'd be surprised if we didn't get the trial version before the initial release window passes. If they're serious about using the trial for feedback purposes, then there's got to be a reasonable amount of time to collect the data and act on it where needed.

Hope to fuck they scrub as much data out of the trial as they can, though. You know someone is going to crack it open and check the assets. Would be shitty if that was how spoilers got out.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby John Doom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Hope to fuck they scrub as much data out of the trial as they can, though. You know someone is going to crack it open and check the assets. Would be shitty if that was how spoilers got out.

But what if leaving those stuff in the trial means being able in the future to access and analyze S3's early beta content? Kind of like they're doing with S1's betas and "What's Shenmue" disks?
John Doom

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Peter has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm

John Doom wrote:But what if leaving those stuff in the trial means being able in the future to access and analyze S3's early beta content? Kind of like they're doing with S1's betas and "What's Shenmue" disks?

I'm sure we'll still see some of that stuff no matter how hard they scrub out potentially spoilery data, but I'd rather they err on the side of caution.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Peter wrote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I disagree with Miyamoto-San

Mighty Number 9 was delayed 27 times and it still isn't good. [-(

Also a rushed game could theoretically be patched and be good eventually.
Last edited by SMDzero on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 am

SMDzero wrote:
Peter wrote: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Shigeru Miyamoto

I disagree with Miyamoto-San

Mighty Number 9 was delayed 27 times and it still isn't good. [-(

Also a rush gamed could theoretically be patched and be good eventually.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is another example I know this is offtopic.
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III