Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 1 and 2 HD on Steam?

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Esppiral wrote: Direct port of the games (just upscaled) would harm the franchise more than doing nothing

Shenmue deserves the Yakuza Kiwami treatment.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this happening. What engine would it use? This would cost a lot of money that sega don't want to spend on Shenmue. Besides, it would take too much time to release it before the launch of shenmue 3...

I don't know, I see a lot of obstacules for this to make it happen. :???:
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Esppiral wrote: Direct port of the games (just upscaled) would harm the franchise more than doing nothing

It won't get it, though. At least not in this shitty Universe. That's more change than SEGA is willing to drop. Yakuza probably only got it through virtue of it being a pet series, and Nagoshi having serious pull with head management. Either way, you'd ideally want Yu to work on something like that, but that's not going to happen while he has his hands full with III.

But at the same time, from what we've heard out of SEGA Europe does seem to indicate they're willing to go the extra mile on something. Visuals? Maybe. Controls and the lack of a wait function in the original? More likely. Dual audio? I fuckin' hope so. It'll never get a full renovation, though.

And that's fine. People have gotten into the series recently from playing the games as they originally existed on Dreamcast/Xbox. Can only really improve that metric if they're cleaned up around the edges and released on PC/modern platforms. We've just got to do our part in positively promoting the series.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Direct port would harm the series. Anyone who thinks that the first game as is, without a different control scheme (at least the one from II) is capable of hitting it big with audiences in 2017 is deluding themselves.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Ginning up a new control scheme for dual analogue controllers is almost a given. I mean shit, just reassigning D-pad controls to the analogue stick in DEMUL makes a reasonable difference. If they go further to tweak that, then I'm sure it would be at least tolerable to most people.

I'd be surprised if we get camera control outside FREE Battles though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Ginning up a new control scheme for dual analogue controllers is almost a given. I mean shit, just reassigning D-pad controls to the analogue stick in DEMUL makes a reasonable difference. If they go further to tweak that, then I'm sure it would be at least tolerable to most people.

I'd be surprised if we get camera control outside FREE Battles though.

Sega say they want to retain the Dreamcast feel so they may keep the controls kosher in a misguided manner.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:32 pm

Himuro wrote:Sega say they want to retain the Dreamcast feel so they may keep the controls kosher in a misguided manner.

That's not exactly what they said. The most pertinent quotes from Jurgen Post and Dan Sheridan are "we'd want to do fantastic conversions to the current platforms" and "we would need to ensure that any HD remaster lives up to the quality of the original titles". There's definitely reference to being faithful to the Dreamcast originals, but that's usually with a follow-on about the product licencing issues.

If they're being real about wanting to do a top quality update, then they know the bare minimum is an alternate control scheme.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Himuro
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:36 pm

One could argue that Shenmue needs to use the D-Pad instead of the analog stick.

I mean, do they don't expect us to free battle with an analog stick right? And the QTEs should be with the d-pad. I'd hate to constantly have to switch between using the dead and along stick.

Too bad Ps4 doesn't have an analog d-pad like ps3 had.. would've been the best of both worlds.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
Himuro wrote:Sega say they want to retain the Dreamcast feel so they may keep the controls kosher in a misguided manner.

That's not exactly what they said. The most pertinent quotes from Jurgen Post and Dan Sheridan are "we'd want to do fantastic conversions to the current platforms" and "we would need to ensure that any HD remaster lives up to the quality of the original titles". There's definitely reference to being faithful to the Dreamcast originals, but that's usually with a follow-on about the product licencing issues.

If they're being real about wanting to do a top quality update, then they know the bare minimum is an alternate control scheme.

Let's hope.

SMDzero wrote: One could argue that Shenmue needs to use the D-Pad instead of the analog stick.

I mean, do they don't expect us to free battle with an analog stick right? And the QTEs should be with the d-pad. I'd hate to constantly have to switch between using the dead and along stick.

Too bad Ps4 doesn't have an analog d-pad like ps3 had.. would've been the best of both worlds.

When we say analog stick we mostly mean moving around town. Not fighting (which isn't too bad with stick) or qte's (sacrilege).
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Fei Fong Wong » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

I think that the thought that a fully remake of the games can´t be done is because we had so many worries just for having 3 done along so many years. I would love to see a remake ala Yakuza Kiwami, with the same style that Ys is doing 3. Hell its cool to keep dreaming, but why we have to accept dream about a Hd port? I'd be soo cool otherwise!
Fei Fong Wong
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Fei1984
Steam: Fei Wong
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Pillars of Eternity

Postby Ziming » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:08 pm

How Japan learned to love PC gaming again
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-japan-learne ... ing-again/
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:52 pm

?
khmlight3
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby khmlight3 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm worried Sega are just going to bring these games to PC not console also.
khmlight3

PSN: thunderlight10
XBL: khmlight3
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:34 pm

khmlight3 wrote: I'm worried Sega are just going to bring these games to PC not console also.

That won't happen.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Ziming » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 am

khmlight3 wrote: I'm worried Sega are just going to bring these games to PC not console also.

Shenmue 3 is coming out on the PS4 & PC. SEGA then proceeds to announce Shenmue 1 + 2 only on PC. Think about that for a second... does that make any sense at all?
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:14 am

What sega does make sense ?
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

PreviousNext