Genesis games in Shenmue 3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Genesis games in Shenmue 3?

Postby Centrale » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Many if not most of the Sega references throughout Shenmue exist outside of the timeline of the plot. There's a Saturn... you can win games for it at one of the stores. There are capsule toys referencing games that came out years later as well. Not to mention the nonexistent Sega items, such as the Master System notepad in one of Ryo's drawers, and even mystifying items that reference Shenmue itself, like Shenhua caramels available at the store. This kind of stuff is so woven into the details of Shenmue that I don't think I'd personally classify all of these things as easter eggs, but either way... it's all there in the world.

More specific to the original topic - Genesis games in Shenmue 3. Beyond whatever licensing considerations there might be with Sega - why not? It would fit with the established "rules" of the game world. The only thing is, the Genesis library has been re-issued time and time again over the years. It would be cool to give the Master System some love, or various other Yu Suzuki arcade titles that haven't been featured in Shenmue yet.

Centrale has received a thanks from: punkmanced
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ReeceKun » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello.. This is a Picture for the Dreamcast Game 'Yu Suzuki Game Works'

I have looked extensively at all the game files of Shenmue and Shenmue 2 and comparied them to Yu Game works. This game was released shortly after Shenmue 2, but the Emulation files for;
Space Harrier: Shenmue1
Hang On: Shenmue 1
After Burner: Shenmue 2
OutRun: Shenmue 2

are EXACTLY THE SAME FILES !.. Which logically means that Power Drift ' should' be in Shenmue 3
(But since it will be created in Unreal Engine theres no reason that all of the games shouldnt be in Shenmue3)

There is clear evidence that After Burner was originally planned for Shenmue 1, and I suspect with a deeper understanding of the Shenmue 'FirstRead.bin' file that it 'might' be possible to switch one of the other Arcade games with PowerDrift to work ingame BUT each game has its own specific emulation and its certainly not a copy and paste job to play any megadrive/genesis game.

The only games that would be featured in Shenmue3 will be the ones Yu created and has total licence of, which I suspect doesnt include Virtua Fighter

ReeceKun has received 3 thanks from: James Brown, Mr357, Yokosuka
ReeceKun
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Skyrim

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 am

[quote="Telekill"] Not going to happen. Shenmue starts in 1986. I think the second ends somewhere in 1987.

Considering that Shenmue 3 takes place directly after the second game ends, the Genesis hasn't even released yet. It wasn't until 1988 that the Genesis released in Japan and at that point, Ryo is on a journey in a more traditional or less technological area of China. There is no place for the Sega Genesis in the time and place that Shenmue 3 is set.

and a sega saturn was released in 1986? Or panzer dragoon? :roll:
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby RyoShenmue » Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 am

He could take his portable Game Gear with him, regardless when it was accurately released... But my main concern would be large battery usage. Does the more wilderness parts of China have stores that sell batteries... :-k

Edit-

Not sure about on the Genesis or even at the arcades at the time, but I would really like a Rad Mobile arcade game, (or Gale Racer for Saturn) complete with a Sonic doll hanging off the mirror and also the windshield wipers working when the screen gets wet or muddy.

Some American pinball tables would be great, even if not real tables. I wonder what a SEGA Shenmue pinball table would look like... :-k

If nothing else some traditional Pachinko machines would be nice too.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 am

Rent a Hero No 1. For the love of all that is holy Rent a Hero even if just the Genesis version. I actually think Shenmue fans would love the Dreamcast version. Might the closest thing to it on the Dreamcast. Still very different but can itch that Shenmue like vibe on DC. How many Dreamcast/Genesis games let you beat up your dad in a Godzilla costume and for the DC version fight Segata Sanshiro and have a chance to win!
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:51 pm

I think you guys are all forgetting one huge thing...

Ryo has been in this cave 16 years. It's 2004 when he gets out. I'm expecting to see Shenmue 1 and 2 playable in the arcades as well as sonic adventure, final fantasy 7, ocarina of time etc and hopefully more recent titles to that date, like Wind Waker.

ShenmueForeseen has received 3 thanks from: celsowm, darksniper, punkmanced
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby myshtuff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:36 pm

I wanna see Ryo play DDR and have a dance off with Lan Di.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Weren't all the arcade games in shenmue made by yu suzuki? I expect any games in shemue 3 to be made by him too if there are any.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:51 pm

south carmain wrote: Weren't all the arcade games in shenmue made by yu suzuki? I expect any games in shemue 3 to be made by him too if there are any.

Yep.

Give me Suzuki's forgotten games like Enduro Racer, G-LOC: Air Battle and Power Drift if they want to include some more. Virtua Fighter series is more easily available, imo, so I'd prefer something that isn't so.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby darksniper » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Fuck it. Put Psy Phi in Shenmue III. We got the technology for it now. :rotflmao:
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III