Genesis games in Shenmue 3?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Genesis games in Shenmue 3?

Postby SMDzero » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:38 am

I think that Shenmue 3 ought to pay homage to not only Yu Suzuki's games but Sega games in general.

To that end, I feel that there should be an arcade in Choubu full of Sega Genesis games.

Thoughts?
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Re: Genesis games in Shenmue 3?

Postby The_Intruder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:53 am

It would be nice if they put Virtua Fighter 1, 2, 3 and the first Sonic game. And also Sonic spinball.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:23 am

Not going to happen. Shenmue starts in 1986. I think the second ends somewhere in 1987.

Considering that Shenmue 3 takes place directly after the second game ends, the Genesis hasn't even released yet. It wasn't until 1988 that the Genesis released in Japan and at that point, Ryo is on a journey in a more traditional or less technological area of China. There is no place for the Sega Genesis in the time and place that Shenmue 3 is set.

Then looking at Sonic the Hedgehog, the first game in that series didn't release until summer 1991.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Centrale » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Telekill wrote: There is no place for the Sega Genesis in the time and place that Shenmue 3 is set.

Especially considering Ryo has a Sega Saturn. :lol: How did he get that in '87, anyway? Maybe he's one of those kids who has the mythical uncle who works at Sega in the R&D department.

Centrale has received a thanks from: iyapol
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Telekill » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Centrale wrote:
Telekill wrote: There is no place for the Sega Genesis in the time and place that Shenmue 3 is set.

Especially considering Ryo has a Sega Saturn. :lol: How did he get that in '87, anyway? Maybe he's one of those kids who has the mythical uncle who works at Sega in the R&D department.

Given the games we have access to on his "Saturn", I'd say it's actually a Sega Master System that's simply shaped like a Saturn and for whatever reason has CD technology. It's an intentional goof that Sega did in regards to continuity as a nod to the system that Shenmue was originally planned for. Sega Master System released in 1985 in Japan so the timeline makes sense with the games available.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby iyapol » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:13 pm

Telekill wrote:
Centrale wrote:

Given the games we have access to on his "Saturn", I'd say it's actually a Sega Master System that's simply shaped like a Saturn and for whatever reason has CD technology. It's an intentional goof that Sega did in regards to continuity as a nod to the system that Shenmue was originally planned for. Sega Master System released in 1985 in Japan so the timeline makes sense with the games available.

Erm. It's definitely a Saturn. :???:
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby KidMarine » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:28 pm

An SG-1000 might make more sense.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Himuro » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Centrale wrote:

It was an Easter egg for fun. Were there actual Saturn games in Shenmue? No.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby BigTuna » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:32 pm

This would be a fun idea, really. Like have Outrun 2019 and Space Harrier II at the arcades.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby SMDzero » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:59 am

Himuro wrote:
Centrale wrote:

It was an Easter egg for fun. Were there actual Saturn games in Shenmue? No.

Shenmue 3 takes place in 1987.. Genesis "Mega Drive" was released in Japan in 1988.

Just 1 year difference is close enough. And considering there's a freaking Sega Saturn in Shenmue 1...... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Himuro » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:08 am

Again, there's a Saturn but no Saturn games. It's just an Easter egg for fun.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 am

Himuro wrote: Again, there's a Saturn but no Saturn games. It's just an Easter egg for fun.

And there could be a Sega Genesis with Genesis games. It would just be an Easter Egg for fun. :P
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:00 am

They could use some Genesis games or putting outrun for instance, although I asume that Sega would charge Ys for using them as Suzuki is no longer working at Sega.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Telekill » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:26 am

I think you guys are also forgetting that while the Sega logo will be attached with Shenmue 3, they really don't want to have anything to do with it. Thus, Sega giving YsNet the blessing and content to put Genesis and Genesis games in the Shenmue 3 world is so unlikely that this reason in and of itself is a stronger argument against it happening than the timeline argument.

Two strong arguments against Genesis being put in the game versus whimsical hope and nostalgia.

Just saying. :twisted:
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby James Brown » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:15 am

If Yu could put certain games in Shenmue 3, like Virtua Fighter in the arcade i'm sure he would, there's Virtua Fighter posters throughout both games, so I doubt Yu is really concerned with the date the game takes place. I mean technically After Burner wasn't released until July 1987, so being able to play it in January in Shenmue 2 isn't realistic. There's also capsule toys of Dreamcast buttons, loads of Sega characters like Sonic etc that would be out of place in 1986, and ofc as already spoken, an actual Sega Saturn console. Space Harrier was actually released on the Saturn aswell -

What i'm trying to say is, I don't think it's crazy far fetched to have some Sega classics in a future Shenmue game, if Sega allow Yu to anyways.
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Next

Return to Shenmue III