Tekken dev requests guest fighter ideas - let's give 'em one

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Tekken dev requests guest fighter ideas - let's give 'em

Postby BlueMue » Mon May 01, 2017 7:00 am

I'd rather want to see Ryo in a new Virtua Fighter game. But Sega needs to make one first...

So until that happens I'd take this chance to get a little fighting action with Ryo. I used to really hate Tekken back in the day but playing 6 and TT2, they weren't all that bad. I could live with this guest appearance.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: killthesagabeforeitkillsu
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kiske » Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 am

We are talking about games... not religion (Thanks Gods!!!).

If Ryo as a guest character in Tekken 7 means more visibility for the Shenmue Series, then I'm all in, period.

Kiske has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Toua77 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 am

Centrale wrote: I always thought of Tekken as a rip-off of Virtua Fighter. Actually just about everything Namco did from the late 80s throughout the 90s seemed to be "let's see what Sega does and then put out our imitation of it." But enough time has passed that I guess Tekken has developed into its own thing. Nowadays if it can help introduce Shenmue to more people that can only be a good thing.

IIRC the first Tekken had code from Virtua Fighter.
Toua77
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Toua77 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 am

SlySpy wrote:
Toua77 wrote: I'd like him, but isn't what he does already accounted for? Karate(Jin, Lee,) Judo (Asuka) and some characters have Jiu-Jitsu elements in their game(Nina, Dragunov, Paul).

Iwao added a lot of stuff from other martial arts into his own so he could fight uniquely enough from a Jin, or Asuka I assume.

Ryo has a good mixture of kung fu as well, even from the very beginning of Shenmue 1. Remember, Hazuki style combines japanese and chinese martial arts. Ryo in particular has a lot of baji-quan moves, like the Elbow Assault for instance.

There's some Baji-quan fighters too. Leo and Wang Jinrei.

I'm thinking about this too hard obviously, but I'm just trying to find balance with the styles already in the game with stuff he does. Also balancing him seems like it might be an issue because if you were to use the hodge podge of moves he's learned from all those styles he'd be a beast. He has options from so many styles.
Toua77

Postby AM2 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:03 pm

An excerpt from 1Up's interview (The disappearance of Yu Suzuki) with Yu Suzuki.

JM: Final question. Many years ago there was a newspaper advertisement promoting a "Virtua Fighter vs. Tekken." Was that concept ever supposed to become a game? Do you think a Virtua Fighter vs. Tekken game would work and if not, what franchises would you pair up?

YS: A long time ago we did a promotion with Virtua Fighter and Tekken characters. As a promotion and advertisement to get people's attention, I think it was a success and was good. But, it's not really my style and I don't like to mix games. I'm a purist. In my opinion, the only time you mix and match is when there are no new ideas and mixing is the last resort. So, it's not a very good thing. As long as there are new ideas, I'd rather prioritize working on new ideas.

JM: Then how do you rationalize Fighter's Megamix?

YS: [Fighter's Megamix director, Hiroshi] Kataoka likes that stuff.

I rest my case.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue May 09, 2017 3:24 pm

Not that I think he would object to a Ryo cameo in 2017, but it wouldn't even be up to Suzuki.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Previous

Return to Shenmue III