VS mode feature?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

VS mode feature?

Postby Fatal Rose » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 am

Why not? It'd defenitely add more replay value after completing them game. The first two should've featured something like this.

Imagine after finishing the game being able to select Lan Di or the Taijiquan master from Shenmue 2 and duke it out. DLC could be available too, allowing players add fighters from previous Shenmue games not featured in Shenmue 3. Heck even chars from VF or Yakuza could be brought over. No I don't think any of these characters should be playable in the main game. Just an extra vs mode feature. I actually prefer Shenmue's combat engine over pretty much all other fighting games.

Would be awesome. What do all of you think?

Fatal Rose has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Fatal Rose
Master of the Three Blades

Re: VS mode feature?

Postby Telekill » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:31 am

I'm going to go with a hell no on this.

Shenmue doesn't need competitive multiplayer on any level as it would only take away from the game. Having coop somehow would be interesting but ultimately any multiplayer would be a waste of development resources.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Centrale » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:48 am

I think it's a great idea, but I don't have any expectation of it happening. It would introduce the game to a new (although relatively small niche) audience. It could be especially interesting considering the environmental factors and "ragdoll reaction" that we've heard a little bit about. But realistically, considering how fine-tuned and balanced competitive fighting games have to be and the shoestring budget of Shenmue III, I think the better thing to do would be to allow Shenmue characters to be guests in other fighting games.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Fatal Rose wrote: Why not? It'd defenitely add more replay value after completing them game. The first two should've featured something like this.

Imagine after finishing the game being able to select Lan Di or the Taijiquan master from Shenmue 2 and duke it out. DLC could be available too, allowing players add fighters from previous Shenmue games not featured in Shenmue 3. Heck even chars from VF or Yakuza could be brought over. No I don't think any of these characters should be playable in the main game. Just an extra vs mode feature. I actually prefer Shenmue's combat engine over pretty much all other fighting games.

Damn that's an old face. Good to see you back Fatal Rose
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Lan Di-sama » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Although it was only single-player, Shenmue II had that arcade mode where you could re-play certain boss fights. It was a nice touch, but in my opinion it was a throwaway feature that had a "tacked-on" feel, and I don't think anyone would have missed it if it weren't there. The idea of a more fleshed-out, multiplayer vs. mode sounds fun, but I honestly don't feel like Shenmue's combat system lends to a true fighting game (obviously, given that it's single player role-playing adventure game) and I'd rather the team just devote their resources to making the story the best it can be.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Fatal Rose » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:51 pm

Peter wrote:
Fatal Rose wrote: Why not? It'd defenitely add more replay value after completing them game. The first two should've featured something like this.

Damn that's an old face. Good to see you back Fatal Rose

Thanks bud. I live in china now.

I'm not expecting some super deep VF quality vs fighter. I just think it'd be awesome fan service.

Most of the NPC fighters in Shenmue 1 and 2 already have pretty deep move lists/fighting styles. They could easily use moves from VF to fill in the gaps if certain characters are lacking.

Of course the absolute most important thing is the single player adventure. I just think this would be a cool simple side feature not meant to be taken seriously competitively as VS fighter. Just something to be enjoyed by hardcore Shenmue fans.
Fatal Rose

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:33 am

Interesting idea, but ultimately a pipe dream. I'd like to see the Shenmue Collection feature return, though. Being able to replay key boss fights was great in II.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:19 pm

We are yet to see a fighting engine in motion but a vs. mode similar to how you can replay the 70 man battle wouldn't be a bad idea.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Fatal Rose wrote:Thanks bud. I live in china now.

No way man, that's awesome! Guilin?? :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Anonymous81 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 am

Short of this, if they can't swing it or it would be prohibitively costly, I hope they do at least give us the option again to replay certain battles (if not all battles,) maybe even controlling different characters. That would be sweet.
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Fatal Rose » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 pm

If not a simple vs mode I'd be happy replaying battles or having the ability to select different characters for these battles. That'd be just as sweet for me.

Not in Guilin, Shijiazhuang, Hebei.

Fatal Rose has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Fatal Rose

Postby RyoShenmue » Mon May 22, 2017 2:19 am

Buy the PC version if the game is moddable and I can almost guarantee this will be created for it. I am not sure how fun a "VS" would be per say, but I would not mind side stories with optional characters being able to travel around small sections of the city trying to work together to solve what ever needs solving or just to experience the city together.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Himuro » Mon May 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I want multiplayer darts for the love of God please.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby darksniper » Wed May 24, 2017 3:39 pm

I'd rather have a Virtua Fighter 6 or a Fighter's Megamix 2 with Shenmue characters added in the game.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Fatal Rose » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 am

I think everyone would rather Shenmue characters in VF6 or in a fighters megamix 2.

If it can be modded and this feature could be added, that’d be cool. I’d rather have it done officially though.

Fatal Rose has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Fatal Rose

Return to Shenmue III