Kickstarter Update #66 - Yu-san on story-building

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Kickstarter Update #66 - Yu-san on story-building

Postby Hazuki00 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 am

In some way, I like this kind of updates. On the other hand, I'd like to see some screens as well but in this way the surprise will be bigger when we see the first trailer. I hope this E3 is their time to surprise us all with a trailer an some release date confirmed.
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby John Doom » Mon May 01, 2017 8:10 am

When Suzuki talked about themes, he mentioned martial arts, adventure and Ryo's relationship with Shenhua, yet I expected him to mention his quest for revenge as well, especially since this is the reason Ryo started his journey in the first place. Does this add to the idea that Ryo's finally chaning his mind on this matter in SIII? :)
John Doom
Master of the Three Blades

Steam: John Doom
Currently playing: Yakuza

Postby James Brown » Mon May 01, 2017 8:16 am

I feel that as time as passed i'm more on board with the mystical elements of Shenmue now. To me it makes the game and story that much more intriguing and is the main reason that the cliffhanger at the end of 2 has been eating away at us for 15 years because we have no idea where the story is now actually going to take us! Like most people at the time, the mystical stuff came as a bit of a surprise in an otherwise seemingly realistic game series, but since then there have been many other games that have used some of the realistic qualities of Shenmue - perhaps not on the same level however - and so i'm really excited to see how Shenmue can adapt and head into this other direction. I think there's alot of beauty to experience in Shenmue 3 with the world Yu Suzuki is creating, and hearing that the sword of the seven stars is returning makes me all the more confident that he's still sticking to his original vision and hasn't let certain influences stray him away from those ideas. He seems really into his Chinese and Japanese history, folklore stories etc which I think he wants to delve into that fantasy a little whilst keeping the main focus of the game a realistic and livable environment. It think it will truely be an epic kung fu adventure :)!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 am

I agree with what said about mystical elements being intrinsic parts of Shenmue's story.
It never really shocked me to be honest, since I always liked the Asian film genre filled with legends and folklore elements.

Since it's May 1st and the update ends with:
Thank you again everyone for your enduring support throughout! See you next month!

Do you think they kind of postponed the update to May so they could "skip" a month and release the next update in June, possibly around E3? :-k

Kiske has received a thanks from: James Brown
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby James Brown » Mon May 01, 2017 8:52 am

Kiske wrote: I agree with what said about mystical elements being intrinsic parts of Shenmue's story.
It never really shocked me to be honest, since I always liked the Asian film genre filled with legends and folklore elements.

Since it's May 1st and the update ends with:
Thank you again everyone for your enduring support throughout! See you next month!

Do you think they kind of postponed the update to May so they could "skip" a month and release the next update in June, possibly around E3? :-k

Did they say see you next month in the last update? I feel like they normally say that. They've got to have an update after E3 anyways, after Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and 3 trailer is shown off obviously right \:D/ ?
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Mon May 01, 2017 8:59 am

Filler update, but that's to expected. It's really about all they COULD show, if a reveal is forthcoming in 1.5 months.

I expect a similar late May update, maybe a small tease of what is to come, ideally.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 am

James Brown wrote:Did they say see you next month in the last update? I feel like they normally say that. They've got to have an update after E3 anyways, after Shenmue 1 and 2 HD and 3 trailer is shown off obviously right \:D/ ?

Right :mrgreen:
...There must be an update after the reveal trailer and Shenmue HD announcement! [-o<

PS. Yes, they said "See you next month!" in the update #65.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Switch » Mon May 01, 2017 9:07 am

I don't think it was readily apparent from the English subtitles, but in the interview Yu was talking about the same plot structure that he talked about at the GDC talk in 2014:

I've just put up a post on my blog about it here:
http://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/0 ... 66-yu.html

Spaghetti wrote:Now... I wonder what was on that board?

Me too... I literally couldn't get anything off it. Can anyone produce an "enhanced" image? O:)

Switch has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, James Brown, John Doom, Mr357
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Mon May 01, 2017 9:36 am

I don't think I can do better.

Some mini-game (earning money) mechanic?

Not to mention that doing this kind of "work" raises a few question about my mental health. :lol:

Kiske has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, John Doom, Mr357, Switch
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby The_Intruder » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 am

I'm so glad Yu didn't spoil anymore footage of Shenmue 3. I want to be surprised when they do the full reveal trailer at E3. I think it should be the first game they show iin the conference but they always put Uncharted first.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Kintor » Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 am

John Doom wrote: When Suzuki talked about themes, he mentioned martial arts, adventure and Ryo's relationship with Shenhua, yet I expected him to mention his quest for revenge as well, especially since this is the reason Ryo started his journey in the first place. Does this add to the idea that Ryo's finally chaning his mind on this matter in SIII? :)

That's a good question. Everything in Shenmue so far, and especially Shenmue 2, has been cautioning Ryo against following the path of revenge. Perhaps then with Shenmue 3 Ryo is finally becoming receptive to those ideas. Although, I think that all bets are off if Ryo finally catches up with Lan Di alone, everyone expects some sort of boss battle against Lan Di even it isn't just about revenge.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

The_Intruder wrote: I'm so glad Yu didn't spoil anymore footage of Shenmue 3. I want to be surprised when they do the full reveal trailer at E3. I think it should be the first game they show iin the conference but they always put Uncharted first.

What makes you so sure there will be a full reveal trailer at E3? I mean... I hope so too, but I don't want to be disappointed if Shenmue 3 doesn't make an appearance.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby delvec19 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:53 am

If there's zero update at E3 regarding this game, then for the first time I'll finally believe that there's no way it's coming out in December.
delvec19

Postby Peter » Mon May 01, 2017 10:10 am

Think its time to open that topic :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 am

iyapol wrote:
Himuro wrote: THEY ARE TEASING US WITH THAT MONITOR. :rotflmao:

It's just the original E3 promo video on YouTube from what I can see.

I don't remember them doing the jumping animation like that in the original promo. Could be wrong. I'll have to watch it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III