Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Himuro » Thu May 18, 2017 11:50 am

Like I said before, despite how I'm coming across here, I'm actually quite cautious but I just can't hold in my excitement. I'm sorry. PSX sucked, but I can't hold it in. For years we had nothing to go on but shrill hope. And now we have all of this talk going on about my favorite game series. I'm just basking in it, and I want to be present myself as positive outwardly for a change. But make no mistake, I have no reservations about this possibly resulting in a usual Shenmue reveal flopzilla. But you can't tell me that as a Shenmue fan, after so much torture and pain, that you aren't excited right now Peter. I think most of us are reserved, and again, despite how my posts are coming off, I am right now. But I can't contain my excitement and love for Shenmue. Life is too short.
Last edited by Himuro on Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu May 18, 2017 11:54 am

Hey everyone, just checking in an... holy mother-chedding smokes! I was only gone for 24hrs! :p

But a few things come to mind (warning: heavy speculation): How would this CEO know of this sweet intel? Let's think of his connections shall we: he ports games, therefore may know of other independent port-houses in the UK. If we look at that list of those untitled E3 games at SEGA's booth from a few weeks ago, one stood out from SEGA Europe. It was listed as 'adventure' (or 'rpg', doing this off the top of my head) for PS4, Xbox One and PC. These platforms in particular stood out as sega europe rarely produces anything outside of of PC and strategy/simulation games.

May be a stretch for some, but I think those two can be linked. Which potentially means this 'port' or 'remaster' (depending on what they're actually doing) is happening in the UK or Europe by one and/or a combination of these studios:

- Blitworks (Jet Set Radio)
- Modern Dreams Games UK (House of the Dead Overkill)
- That other UK dev that ported Valkyria Chronicles and possibly Bayonetta/Vanquish to PC (forgotten their name; can't find their website)

I think he would have likely have known about it from them. Anyone noticed how a lot of these publications/rumour sources (RICE digital, that gameblog.fr journalist, this CEO from Just add water) are all within proximity of the UK? I'm starting to think it's less likely that bluepoint's project is in relation to Shenmue HD.

Sorry if this seems like useless fodder, it's just the first thing that came to my mind hearing all this, as the picture gets clearer and the dots connect. As someone pointed out earlier, it could also very much be a case of my cognitive bias especially with everything that's out there xD so let's remain cautious as always. As Shenhua says: I'll await whilst praying...

FlagshipFighter has received 2 thanks from: Himuro, James Brown
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Himuro » Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 pm

Also Peter, I have changed since then. During that time, I had a lot going on in my life and was actually kind of hoping to see Shenmue III. I was emotional and high strung. The one thing I had to look forward to was Shenmue III at PSX. When it wasn't there, I just kind of lost it. 2016 was a bad year for me and I took it out on a lot of things. I've since worked on my life and things are going pretty great. So if Shenmue III isn't at E3 I wouldn't expect a PSX repeat from me. I doubt it'll happen but if it does, please ban me for two weeks for my own sake.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu May 18, 2017 12:00 pm

No absolutely. Inside I am wanting to scream out loud, both with what I know publically and privately. But until I see something in my TV screen, I have disciplined my head to think that nothing will be shown. That way, I can handle my emotions better and despite feeling a wide range of negative emotions inside if there is another no show, I can up on a brave face, and handle it with dignity and respect for YSNET. That's what I am asking. PSX was a learning experience so let's learn from it.

It's also good to hear you have changed also. :nice!:

Peter has received a thanks from: Himuro
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Thu May 18, 2017 12:03 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote: Hey everyone, just checking in an... holy mother-chedding smokes! I was only gone for 24hrs! :p

But a few things come to mind (warning: heavy speculation): How would this CEO know of this sweet intel? Let's think of his connections shall we: he ports games, therefore may know of other independent port-houses in the UK. If we look at that list of those untitled E3 games at SEGA's booth from a few weeks ago, one stood out from SEGA Europe. It was listed as 'adventure' (or 'rpg', doing this off the top of my head) for PS4, Xbox One and PC. These platforms in particular stood out as sega europe rarely produces anything outside of of PC and strategy/simulation games.

May be a stretch for some, but I think those two can be linked. Which potentially means this 'port' or 'remaster' (depending on what they're actually doing) is happening in the UK or Europe by one and/or a combination of these studios:

- Blitworks (Jet Set Radio)
- Modern Dreams Games UK (House of the Dead Overkill)
- That other UK dev that ported Valkyria Chronicles and possibly Bayonetta/Vanquish to PC (forgotten their name; can't find their website)

I think he would have likely have known about it from them. Anyone noticed how a lot of these publications/rumour sources (RICE digital, that gameblog.fr journalist, this CEO from Just add water) are all within proximity of the UK? I'm starting to think it's less likely that bluepoint's project is in relation to Shenmue HD.

Sorry if this seems like useless fodder, it's just the first thing that came to my mind hearing all this, as the picture gets clearer and the dots connect. As someone pointed out earlier, it could also very much be a case of my cognitive bias especially with everything that's out there xD so let's remain cautious as always. As Shenhua says: I'll await whilst praying...

I think it's highly likely to be Blit. Jet Set Radio HD was fantastic and they've expressed a lot of interest doing an HD version of Shenmue. I think most of us wanted Blit anyways, if Bluepoint couldn't make it Blit was always considered the number 1 or 2 pick to do it. I know for me at least, I always wanted Blit to work on it.

Peter wrote: No absolutely. Inside I am wanting to scream out loud, both with what I know publically and privately. But until I see something in my TV screen, I have disciplined my head to think that nothing will be shown. That way, I can handle my emotions better and despite feeling a wide range of negative emotions inside if there is another no show, I can up on a brave face, and handle it with dignity and respect for YSNET. That's what I am asking. PSX was a learning experience so let's learn from it.

It's also good to hear you have changed also. :nice!:

We must have strength, discipline, and patience.

Group hug.

Himuro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 pm

Himuro wrote:
I think it's highly likely to be Blit. Jet Set Radio HD was fantastic and they've expressed a lot of interest doing an HD version of Shenmue. I think most of us wanted Blit anyways, if Bluepoint couldn't make it Blit was always considered the number 1 or 2 pick to do it. I know for me at least, I always wanted Blit to work on it.

Unfortunately, I was talking with someone from Blitworks last week and whilst not to direct quote, the impression was that they were still hopeful that Sega would ask them to do it as they are huge Shenmue fans. Whilst that may be a general public response, it's worth noting that it seems that they haven't been working on it.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Himuro
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Himuro » Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Peter wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Unfortunately, I was talking with someone from Blitworks last week and whilst not to direct quote, the impression was that they were still hopeful that Sega would ask them to do it as they are huge Shenmue fans. Whilst that may be a general public response, it's worth noting that it seems that they haven't been working on it.

Thank you for this information. :-k
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Amir » Thu May 18, 2017 12:19 pm

Spaghetti wrote:I wonder if Gio might make an appearance in the next update?

I'd like that, hearing about how he got involved with the project, his thoughts on the saga as a whole, etc. We got a little of that in Danny O'Dwyer's The Point video on Shenmue III which was neat.

Amir has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Gen » Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Himuro wrote:

Not sure I would want Blitworks to do Shenmue HD. Aren't all their "ports" emulations? If they did that with Shenmue we wouldn't get 60 FPS and any improvement to the control scheme would probably be very limited.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu May 18, 2017 12:42 pm

@Himuro exactly! Also the developers who ported Valkyria Chronicles and all the other recent stuff have done an excellent job on PC and PS4. I have a potato laptop and my experience was so smooth and refined. Digital foundry have also done a video on both that (and Bayonetta) with high praise.

Imo everything will come down to the users expectations. I don't think us as the avid shenmue fans will be dissapointed in the slightest. Again my ethod would be to preserve the original experience and fine ways to enhance that than reinvigorate it (e.g. If Shenmue were Clash of the titans, it would be sacrilege to replace those stop-motion effects with cgi, you'd just want a cleaner presentation). Something along the lines of something totally farfetched as Yakuza Kiwami would only be cool imo if we had a way to preserve/enhance the original experience.

It's only more evident when you visit the fanbase for Kiwami and find out just how divided they are on that game (I also think it's one of the reasons why SEGA are only selling it at a budget price to prepare themselves for any potential backlash for some of the gameplay mechanics that detract from the experience (e.g. Majima anywhere system).

I know the opinions on how shenmue hd would/should be approached is divided. I'd welcome some up to date aspects that'll ease in newplayers, so long as . I think one of the reasons people are so intrigued about this potential port is to see just what can be done, on modern hardware, with the game engine, performance, licenses and music etc. Just how well can a 17-ish year game can be preserved? Despite the passage of time, I'm glad we're seeing both Shenmue 3 and potentially the remasters this generation.

Some people think Shenmue HD could do sell a couple 100,000 units depending on the price, quality etc. I really think that if sega play their cards right it could be a surprising success in the same way that valkyria chronicles pc port was at the time (being just behind Ass. creed unity and CoD in the weekly sales charts for a few weeks).

In the end, we'll always have our DC/Xbox OG copies of the game if nothing were to happen, that's okay still and as an individual, doesn't really take anything away not having it. But for the sake of preservation, enhancing the experience, fending off scalpers and introducing newcomers to prepare for shenmue 3 it's clearly of many interests of many parties and the media and that's what's exciting in the end: to hear so much buzz about shenmue. Cedric seems a little more confident with the hd ports which is reassuring to hear from someone who's placed a huge stake/has quite ambitious expectations for shenmue 3's sales.

Again, trying to be aware of 'the dagger of the mind' here, but tl;dr I'm glad we're in a time where we're it's actually okay to be excited about a franchise that's very much alive :-).
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Gen wrote:
Himuro wrote:

Not sure I would want Blitworks to do Shenmue HD. Aren't all their "ports" emulations? If they did that with Shenmue we wouldn't get 60 FPS and any improvement to the control scheme would probably be very limited.

True enough but many of our people here at the Dojo have done many of these things. You can set up Demul to put the movement controls to the analog stick. Can't you make it 60 fps as well?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Thu May 18, 2017 12:53 pm

If I recall correctly, forcing DEMUL to run in 60FPS just makes the game twice as fast. You can use interpolation to make pre-recorded footage into 60FPS but it doesn't work realtime.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu May 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Gen wrote:
Himuro wrote:

We don't know what's actually possible though, right? Was Shenmue designed to run at 60fps or will that screw with game logic like AI-patterns/behaviour and animations? I suppose the quality of the port and enhancements is subject to them having access to the source code of the original games (unsure if they do). I'd expect some of what we've seen on PC emulation side is at least achievable for this port though. I've noticed some other games like Fable anniversary and batman arkham games were put on newer engines (to mixed reception). Imo I don't think 60fps is necessary for this port. Stuff like improved AA and/or HQ motion blur would be cool to see though.

@Peter thanks for the clarification on Blitworks. Hmmm, whoever has supposedly produced this port has done most of the leg-work though, right? Doesn't seem out of the ordinary, I bet those bayonetta and vanquish ports were also completed a while back with only quality control being worked on until it's strategic release, especially with the fact that these two games are just a month apart of their release.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Been away for a few days, so just catching up on all the threads.

im still going full on with a Shenmue 3 trailer and HD remasters at E3. Honestly, if anything Shenmue is shown, i'll be happy. A crappy 20 second trailer with no HD remasters would be enough to excite me with joy.

Still want those HD games though. I haven't played Shenmue in almost 8 years as i keep holding out for the HD versions.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:'m starting to think it's less likely that bluepoint's project is in relation to Shenmue HD.

Why ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III