Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby Kiske » Fri May 19, 2017 4:47 am

The Gamblog journalist Romain Mahut is on fire...

It looks like he struggles to remain silent about Shenmue HD (See the last tweet picture, from yesterday night).

For those who have no idea who he is, Romain Mahut is a journalist working for the second most popular gaming website in France (behind Gamekult) and he is also a huge Shenmue fan.

This below is the first time he did a tweet about the Shenmue series, at the beginning of April.

The next screen-cap is taken from the comments section about the "SEGA plans to revive major IPs" news.

Romain posted a Tweet shortly after JAW CEO comments about Shenmue HD on NeoGAF.
(No N.D.A. but he has been asked to keep some things for himself.

JAW CEO "kind of confirms" on Twitter what he wrote on the NeoGAF forum.

New Tweet from Romain, yesterday night. This is not an answer, that's a spontaneous tweet.
Although Shenmue HD isn't mentioned, it's seems very very likely that this is about our beloved franchise.
"It's coming out. The real mystery is the announcement date."

It's interesting to note the change of "tone" since the JAW CEO comments.
I assume he no longer feels obliged to keep some things to himself.
To me, this is the closest thing to an actual confirmation of Shenmue HD existence.

Why does Romain write so much about Shenmue?
He's a Shenmue fan, but also a journalist and as journalist he probably doesn't want to miss the "scoop" if the opportunity arises. (By the way, he and Julo, another journalist AND Shenmue fan from Gameblog will attend E3. It's definitely worth checking their Twitter accounts during E3...)

That said, Shenmue HD could exists as a "project", it can be at the beginning of the development or simply far away from completion. It's SEGA, no doubt they can be late. Officially, we don't even know if the project has been greenlighted.
Although the chances for an announcement during E3 are real, they mathematically are still not above 50%...
It may come later, during the PSX or the TGS. It all depends on how far they are with the development and how early before release, SEGA wants to make an announcement.

As Shenmue fans, as a Community, I think that all we can do is keep the pressure on SEGA to release Shenmue HD before Shenmue 3 comes out. About that, TeamYu explained way better than me, where we stand right now.
https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/posts/1608837042461662/

Let's make the June 3rd #SaveShenmueHD Tweetathon the most vocal of all time! :mrgreen:

Kiske has received 4 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, John Doom, Kintor, SheepheadCG
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby JohnBlack » Fri May 19, 2017 5:05 am

they mathematically are still not above 50%...

I think they are somewhere above 50%, maybe even above 80.
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 am

JohnBlack wrote:

That's if you introduce subjectivity in the equation. :mrgreen:
I don't want to be blamed for raising false hopes because "I have a good feeling" if nothing happens during E3.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby JohnBlack » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 am

Kiske wrote:
JohnBlack wrote:

That's if you introduce subjectivity in the equation. :mrgreen:
I don't want to be blamed for raising false hopes because "I have a good feeling" if nothing happens during E3.

Its always good to just wait and see :mrgreen:

About numbers: SEGA wont rush HD version only if they judge Shenmue 3 as a potentially well-recieved product. But its really risky. So they have to do it this year, because if S3 gonna be flop, HD remasters can be less profitable(if profitable at all).
JohnBlack

Postby Kintor » Fri May 19, 2017 5:51 am

Kiske wrote:That's if you introduce subjectivity in the equation. :mrgreen:

You shouldn't have to worry. We're all excited about the possibility of Shenmue HD, the hype to see something at E3 was going to keep building anyway. So thanks for bringing to light some promising bits of information that those of us who can't read French might never have seen otherwise.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Kiske
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Fri May 19, 2017 6:27 am

Just an opinion, but whether he has reliable info or not, this Romain dude needs to tone it down a bit. It's great he is a Shenmue fan, but his position as a journalist with such a following that Gamerblog has, he has a duty to their readers, and I can't help feel getting people riled up about a Shenmue HD announcement weeks before E3 isn't exactly the smartest move in the world.

I guess it's just part of the greater aspect of today's journalism in general, where responsibility seems to be forgotten now, and any mistakes or "fake news", can just be shrugged off as if it never happened.

To be honest reading his tweets, I am of the opinion he knows next to nothing, or at least as much as we do with the publication of the rice digital article and the CEO comment in the Gaf topic. If his intention is to put pressure on Sega, well I'm sorry, but I doubt his actions are going to make Sega quiver in the corner and greenlight Shenmue HD if they haven't already.

This is not a slut on you Kiske so please don't take it that way. Keep us up to date with any posting of tweets or articles regarding Shenmue HD or 3 :nice!:

Peter has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 am

Peter wrote:This is not a slut on you Kiske

Ah, but the night is young. :D
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Fri May 19, 2017 7:28 am

Peter wrote: Just an opinion, but whether he has reliable info or not, this Romain dude needs to tone it down a bit. It's great he is a Shenmue fan, but his position as a journalist with such a following that Gamerblog has, he has a duty to their readers, and I can't help feel getting people riled up about a Shenmue HD announcement weeks before E3 isn't exactly the smartest move in the world.

I guess it's just part of the greater aspect of today's journalism in general, where responsibility seems to be forgotten now, and any mistakes or "fake news", can just be shrugged off as if it never happened.

To be honest reading his tweets, I am of the opinion he knows next to nothing, or at least as much as we do with the publication of the rice digital article and the CEO comment in the Gaf topic. If his intention is to put pressure on Sega, well I'm sorry, but I doubt his actions are going to make Sega quiver in the corner and greenlight Shenmue HD if they haven't already.

This is not a slut on you Kiske so please don't take it that way. Keep us up to date with any posting of tweets or articles regarding Shenmue HD or 3 :nice!:

That's probably at the centre of the issue. Nowadays the digital media (as the conventional ones) are under a huge pressure for profit and trustful information is never very far from "alternative facts" for clicks.
I do agree he should tone it down. But you know, as a fan, it's hard for me to overlook what he (and others) may write on the Shenmue HD matter. I have the suspect that all this could eventually harm Shenmue or YsNet.
If you guys think I should leave those rumors and comments "under the rug" for the good of the Shenmue franchise, I will definitely stop posting about it here, as the Dojo is one if not the main source for Shenmue informations.
I'm totally aware that everybody has access to the boards and I don't want the bits of info here to be used with malicious intent or for scandalistic reasons elsewhere.

This is not a slut on you Kiske

What? Where a slut? Please, someone explain! :-o :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby shredingskin » Fri May 19, 2017 7:52 am

Peter wrote: This is not a slut on you Kiske

Then whose is the slut for ??

Or are you saying that there's no Shenmue HD AND no slut ??
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Peter » Fri May 19, 2017 8:05 am

I meant a slur!!!! FML

I need a break from Shenmue.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Kiske » Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 am

Peter wrote: I meant a slur!!!! FML

I need a break from Shenmue.

Would have preferred a slut. :ph34r:

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Jibby
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 am

@kiske @shreddingskin I think the more pressing question is... did the slut tell you anything about Shenmue HD? :king:

@shreddingskin Just to clarify on earlier I was talking about games in general, not shenmue.

Obviously in shenmue's case pretty much everything is dependent on them having access to the source code. If they don't, it'll be like upgrading/updating an older car without having access to the engine hood, there's only so much you can do in that scenario to improve performance.

All I'm saying is: if it's comparable to the dreamcast at the very least, that's a good start. Some ports end up being worse than the originals (like crazy taxi, soul calibur 2 at launch etc) and sometimes it isn't ideal possible to run an old game in higher framerates without breaking the game. It can be just too much to ask of an old game despite its age. It's more about how it is designed and we know that with examples like way of the samurai 4 and phantom dust it'll break the game if you force it to run in that state. Sappharad articulated this earlier really well with examples.

I understand you want the best and that pc helps with achieving that as well as keeping things in a future-proof, accessible ecosystem (and I'm looking forward to some of the creative things people the community will produce/tweak or discover from mining the game. It amazes me what's still found in shenmue 1 and 2 today) but just being able to play it outside of DC/Xbox is a huge deal in itself if that is all we can get, regardless of what kind of budget, features and legwork SEGA are willing to put into the port.

Just read TeamYu's article too and I totally agree. Seeing this journalist on twitter is a bit odd imo, I'm not sure what he wants to achieve exactly by verbalising his work aloud, if he's trying to instil confidence with fans regarding the rumours etc there's hardly much more he can say unless he has newer info, 23 days and we'll all know.

Man the rumour mill for Shenmue HD has been a strange on xD Interested to hear any murmurings or your thoughts on how SEGA will package this and the pricepoint. They seem to love steelbooks as of late (and oh man shenmue art would look amazing when printed in that lenticular fashion). They should probably have a good entry level price for newcomers and the 'special' edition version for us who are willing to take a vampiric drain on our wallets for a collectors edition.
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Himuro » Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am

By modern standards, how likely would a Yakuza Kiwami situation be? The games were ahead of their time at the time, but would a remake of 1 and 2 be remotely possible? Someone like Kidnocon recreated the environments with modern tech pretty easily, at least for 1.

Himuro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby FlagshipFighter » Fri May 19, 2017 9:09 am

Himuro wrote: By modern standards, how likely would a Yakuza Kiwami situation be? The games were ahead of their time at the time, but would a remake of 1 and 2 be remotely possible? Someone like Kidnocon recreated the environments with modern tech pretty easily, at least for 1.

Yakuza Kiwami was a special case from what I'm aware of, the developers of that game had only 6 months to produce that game, and much of that knowledge came from how Nagoshi-san and the Sega R&D team were so familiar and comfortable with using the Yakuza 5, 0 and Ishin engine (which is a modified version of the Yakuza Kenzan, 3, 4 and dead souls engine). All the time and experience they had with those tools meant that they could develop a 'HD' version of 1 by using the animations from the PS2 game cutscenes and build upon many of the gameplay assets and models produced in the later games. It was basically an easy and highly profitable port to produce. It is one of the reasons why the game is coming out in the west at such a budget pricepoint, it cost little to begin with because much of the investment came from the development of prior titles. Another reason why is the fact that the port faced a very mixed reception from fans/reviewer because aspects of the game felt poorly considered (e.g. the Majima anywhere system' where Majima disguises throughout the map and surprises you at any moment for battle).

So taking all that into consideration, approaching Shenmue in the same way isn't really possible. All the locations need to be built from scratch as well as the game itself. They are unlikely able to borrow much from the original games in which they can embed, it'd pretty much need an overhaul in that situation.

There are people to really want to see a Kiwami version to Yakuza 2 but it may be a while off because the Yakuza team have moved on from the Yakuza 5 engine to the 'Dragon engine' in Yakuza 6 (which the engine still isn't finished yet, and the locations aren't as open as prior games yet because the fidelity is so high and they were evidently rushed with that game).

I think a kiwami would be interesting (even in the Yak0 engine which many seem to be fatigued with even though I think it's great!) but I don't know well that would fly to everyone as a whole. I feel like that scenario would require a reboot from another director's vision as well as a budget similar to the Yak games now, which seen to be incredibly costly with all the facial capture, cutscenes and high profile actors they have.

Sadly I don't think a Shenmue Kiwami could happen, at the very least it could if shenmue 3 was a huge success and sega wanted to get more involved with the franchise, but even then would they be willing to use shenmue 3's code, animations, art and assets to build up is determined on the quality of how good of a framework shenmue 3 can establish.

Kidnocon's work is amazing and I look forward to seeing/hearing more of his involvement in shenmue 3. really intridged to try yak-kiwami, seriously six months sounds crazy! Glad they rerecorded the VO at least for a higher bitrate but i can imagine that's easier to implement alongside development schedule.
Last edited by FlagshipFighter on Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlagshipFighter has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Himuro
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Himuro » Fri May 19, 2017 9:19 am

Hmmm. So a remaster would be the best thing to get. Not that I'm complaining.

Himuro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III