Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat May 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Telekill wrote:
Valascaziel wrote: Ironic, considering PS2 was a big reason Dreamcast had less life than it should have. Yes, there were other factors,

I feel that the biggest factor for Dreamcast failing and ultimately, Sega dropping out of the console race, was Microsoft entering the console race. I firmly believe that the market can only sustain three console platforms and in comparison to Microsoft, Sega didn't have the finances for a continued effort. I believe had we never seen Xbox that Sega would perhaps still be in the console race and never taken the nose dive from quality that they did.

Why do I believe this? Take a look at the 90's with all the various failed systems. 3DO, CD-I, Jaguar, Neo Geo, etc. I believe Atari dropped out of the console race shortly before or after Sony entered with Playstation. So it was Nintendo, Sega and Atari until Sony showed up and then it became Sony, Nintendo and Sega. When Microsoft entered, it became Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft.

Interesting theory but by the time Microsoft entered the industry the PS2 had already destroyed the competition. Even Nintendo suffered with the Gamecube despite being a gigantic brand. Atari also died long before the iconic Nintendo vs. SEGA rivalry.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sat May 20, 2017 6:32 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:Interesting theory but by the time Microsoft entered the industry the PS2 had already destroyed the competition. Even Nintendo suffered with the Gamecube despite being a gigantic brand. Atari also died long before the iconic Nintendo vs. SEGA rivalry.

While Atari's popularity was definitely lower in the early to mid 90's their last system released in 1993 and 1995 (Jaguar and Jaguar CD). As the Genesis released in 1989 and the SNES in 1990-91 and thus the great rivalry began before Atari's final system even released.

Atari's final console being released in 1995 and the first Playstation releasing in 1995 add to the relevancy of my hypothesis. Sega stopping Dreamcast production in 2001 and the release of the first Xbox in 2001 also add to the relevancy of my hypothesis.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Jibby wrote: Man, that E3 2015 thread. In the run up to the Sony conference, there was just such a good atmosphere. I don't know what it was, but something felt different that year compared to previous years. Good times.

Not to delve too much into gut feeling bullshit, but I'm getting almost inexplicable vibes of anticipation this year.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sappharad » Sat May 20, 2017 7:38 pm

Peter wrote: Random factoid for the day:

By this date in the E3 & Shenmue 3 2016 thread, we had 8 pages worth of comments.

This year - 32.

The attention is real.

This may have been pointed out before, but the Shenmue III forum has more posts than the first two games combined. Although wasn't this originally used during the Shenmue Online & Shenmue Town eras as well, and just renamed?

Random note: Has anyone pointed out yet that April has now passed, thus confirming that the online shop taking pre-orders for the Shenmue I & II HD due for April release earlier this year was full of shit and just making stuff up for traffic? I mean, most of us already thought it was unlikely, but I just remembered it now.

Sappharad has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Let's Get Sweaty
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Kintor » Sun May 21, 2017 12:20 am

Jibby wrote: Man, that E3 2015 thread. In the run up to the Sony conference, there was just such a good atmosphere. I don't know what it was, but something felt different that year compared to previous years. Good times.

I know what you mean. I wasn't a poster here before E3 2015 but there was a palpable sense of excitement all over the internet. Something about the rumours that year just went viral so that by the time the Kickstarter trailer played at Sony's conference everyone was already going nuts at the mere thought of Shenmue 3. Seeing that trailer and the exciting reaction online afterwards stands out for me as one of my greatest experiences as a gamer.

Kintor has received a thanks from: Jibby
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sun May 21, 2017 11:28 am

Kintor wrote:

I know what you mean. I wasn't a poster here before E3 2015 but there was a palpable sense of excitement all over the internet. Something about the rumours that year just went viral so that by the time the Kickstarter trailer played at Sony's conference everyone was already going nuts at the mere thought of Shenmue 3. Seeing that trailer and the exciting reaction online afterwards stands out for me as one of my greatest experiences as a gamer.

Really? I don't remember anyone thinking Shenmue III would be a thing except diehards. And even among us, many of us (including me) scoffed at anything happening because of years and years of bluff calls and trolls. It's what made the reveal at E3 so memorable: it came out of nowhere and blindsided us. Barely anyone was talking about much less gave a shit about Shenmue III before that conference. The hype was all pointing towards Final Fantasy VII Remake which had been leaked by the press earlier that day.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kintor » Sun May 21, 2017 11:46 am

Himuro wrote:Really? I don't remember anyone thinking Shenmue III would be a thing except diehards. And even among us, many of us (including me) scoffed at anything happening because of years and years of bluff calls and trolls. It's what made the reveal at E3 so memorable: it came out of nowhere and blindsided us. Barely anyone was talking about much less gave a shit about Shenmue III before that conference. The hype was all pointing towards Final Fantasy VII Remake which had been leaked by the press earlier that day.

It's true that the possibility of a Final Fantasy VII remake was getting a lot of attention. At the same time, hype was building both for Shenmue 3 and the Last Guardian, thanks to some fairly convincing rumours that year. Plus little things, like when Yu Suzuki randomly tweeted a picture of a forklift, just sent the speculation into overdrive. All round though I have to give my congratulations to Sony, their E3 conference was simply amazing thanks to those three reveals; it certainly gave the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter the stage it needed for maximum hype. Final Fantasy may have had the most attention before the conference but afterwards it was all about Shenmue 3.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jibby » Sun May 21, 2017 12:06 pm

Himuro wrote:
Kintor wrote:

Really? I don't remember anyone thinking Shenmue III would be a thing except diehards. And even among us, many of us (including me) scoffed at anything happening because of years and years of bluff calls and trolls. It's what made the reveal at E3 so memorable: it came out of nowhere and blindsided us. Barely anyone was talking about much less gave a shit about Shenmue III before that conference. The hype was all pointing towards Final Fantasy VII Remake which had been leaked by the press earlier that day.

What? There was so much buzz that day. First with the Shenmue domain being hosted by Amazon, then with the Quantic Dream rumours, and then the forklift photograph. Go back and read the thread and you'll see people posting about how something felt different compared to other years. The positivity in that thread is unmatched. It definitely didn't come out of nowhere.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Centrale » Sun May 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Jibby wrote: What? There was so much buzz that day. First with the Shenmue domain being hosted by Amazon, then with the Quantic Dream rumours, and then the forklift photograph. Go back and read the thread and you'll see people posting about how something felt different compared to other years. The positivity in that thread is unmatched. It definitely didn't come out of nowhere.

I never registered for the Dojo until that E3, but I had checked in occasionally over the prior decade and would always try to get a feel for whether there was any chance of something being announced. The Shenmue domain registration plus the photo of the forklift tweeted by Yu Suzuki convinced me that it was worth watching the presentation live to see if anything was going to happen. I kept my expectations low but it sure seemed like there might be something going on.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Sun May 21, 2017 4:41 pm

I was reading my posts from that E3 thread on here. To think that I nearly didn't bother watching it... I think despite the rumours most people were still highly skeptical though, I doubt many people actually had hope of it being announced. I know I didn't anyway, that's for sure.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Jibby » Sun May 21, 2017 4:55 pm

I wouldn't say people were 100% expecting it, but hopes and excitement that year were at an all time high I feel. Off the top of my head, I can only remember a small handful of people saying they expected nothing.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Telekill » Sun May 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Himuro wrote:And even among us, many of us (including me) scoffed at anything happening because of years and years of bluff calls and trolls. It's what made the reveal at E3 so memorable:

south carmain wrote:I think despite the rumours most people were still highly skeptical though, I doubt many people actually had hope of it being announced. I know I didn't anyway, that's for sure.

I was in the same boat as you guys. After more than a decade of nothing, I was expecting Shenmue to never be resurrected again. Sega was at an all time low (in my opinion anyway), and there was zero hope for me left to grasp onto.

I can only hope that Shenmue 3 becomes successful enough to warrant a 4th and final game in the series to rap things up and give us our ending. Even if it's another Kickstarter, having that ending really seems mandatory to me. I'm sure most fans will agree they want to see the series completed.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby shredingskin » Sun May 21, 2017 5:11 pm

I'm a lot more confident that SOMETHING related shenmue will be at E3 this time than in 2015.

That announcement hit me like a fucking hammer.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Jibby » Sun May 21, 2017 5:16 pm

shredingskin wrote: I'm a lot more confident that SOMETHING related shenmue will be at E3 this time than in 2015.

Yeah obviously. The game's actually real now and it's been in development for some time.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sun May 21, 2017 5:39 pm

What I meant was that in 2015 I just had hope (the same I ever had), nothing really different from any years before that.

Actually I saw the Shenmue post mortem kinda as a closing the chapter type of deal for YS.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III