Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:11 am

ConanTheKing wrote:
Bluecast wrote: I still have the magazine that announced in order to make in time for release Shenmue was split in half into two games but was largely finished. So Shenmue II was originally not Shenmue II at all but part of Shenmue 1. So in reality the first game was finished but a second developed game is only happening now. (main series not counting City or Online)

Shows you just how grand the vision was but bringing that into reality is a struggle. Was there anything that could have been done differently in the past that would have avoided the current situation?

Bump the systems ram to 32MB. Use DVDs as the game format. The thing would have taken off in Japan if it used DVDs. PC ports suffered due to 16MB of ram. Needed at least twice that. When PS2 launched it was the cheapest DVD player in Japan and sold like mad mainly because of that early on. Not to mention more storage space.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:03 am

It's my 6 month check up with this site..

The lack of real media for this in 2 years has got me worried somethings wrong. Too big a project for a small team is my guess and I worry this isn't going to be like the Shenmue we know.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby adom11800 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:20 am

I knew this was gonna happen...but hang on, is it possible that Sony can show a Shenmue III trailer without YS net being there? Probably not.

If there is a trailer or gameplay video this month then that would make a big difference and put people's minds at ease but it feels like we are being kept in the dark. It's all but a mystery to whether this game will be delayed or if the development is still going strong. I don't know if I should be worried or not.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Centrale » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:21 am

Spaghetti wrote:
shredingskin wrote: I'm leaning to "not Shenmue" since the numbers on the upper right side is the time, and those mark 42 minutes and 1h19m, so it looks like a movie he's working on. Doesn't make sense to work with timing like that for a game where it's divided in loops and cues/cutscenes.

Mmhm. That's part of the reason why I didn't entertain the idea of it being Shenmue III for very long.

The sheet music though. I know there's waaaaay, waaaaay less to divine out of a stack of papers but... maybe. Just maybe.

It's possible that those time values are timecode in seconds and frames, e.g. 42 seconds 21 frames. Usually this would be displayed as 00:00:42:21 (hours:minutes:seconds:frames) but they might have simplified it for the playback - if it's less than a minute long, no need to show zeroes for hours and minutes.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:53 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: It's my 6 month check up with this site..

The lack of real media for this in 2 years has got me worried somethings wrong. Too big a project for a small team is my guess and I worry this isn't going to be like the Shenmue we know.

That's definitely a possibility even though many people here would never admit it.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am

Same here.

Let's be honest, concessions are inevitable. At worst, the question is to what extent the difference might be substantial.

Besides the Shenmue III existence as itself, our main victory is that the project is being lead by the Suzuki-Okayasu-Hirai trio. In other circumstances, no one of them would have worked today as Sega is the last decider. I believe some anterior plans were to make Shenmue III without Suzuki and transform the franchise in a marketing force. Gladly that never happened.

As long as the game is the fruit of their minds, I will stick with anything happens. That certainly will not prevent me from being shocked by a couple of things (e.g. the highly-stylized art if it's real), but anyway I think I'm ready with it. Just give me Shenmuish places and story please.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 pm

adom11800 wrote: I knew this was gonna happen...but hang on, is it possible that Sony can show a Shenmue III trailer without YS net being there? Probably not.

If there is a trailer or gameplay video this month then that would make a big difference and put people's minds at ease but it feels like we are being kept in the dark. It's all but a mystery to whether this game will be delayed or if the development is still going strong. I don't know if I should be worried or not.

At this stage it's important to remember two things:

. The game has technically only been in development for a year and a half - early tests in late 2015 non-withstanding.

. The game is already being scrutinised from in-progress materials - despite a clear trajectory of improvement.

Doesn't necessarily excuse sticking to a 2017 date as it became increasingly unlikely, but should lend context to why they're no-showing E3, and why they're very cautious with what they show on KS.

I'd say they'll maybe offer something more towards the end of the Summer. If the surveys are still going out and reward fulfilment still moving as planned, then I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we got teased with a lil' somethin' somethin'.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrandyk » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:19 pm

south carmain wrote:

That's definitely a possibility even though many people here would never admit it.

I can tell you that I'm still not convinced this game ever comes out. Won't be until it's in my hands. At the same time I think those worries are premature. This game is a huge task and the team may not be up to it, but the game hasn't been under development long enough to show to the public anyways.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm gonna try be a bit more optimistic, here is an example of kickstarter done right.

Around 2.5M in funds and it looks ridiculously amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRrURnngb0

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Dec 2015 :lol:

We just need to give them time. SEGA and others might join in the future.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby shredingskin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:20 am

Yes, kickstarters need time and it practically a tacit agreement that the dates on the KS mean nothing.

I don't know why Shenmue is pretty much the only game that people expect to follow it through.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:25 am

Well, if there is one thing fans and haters could both agree since the game announcement, it's certainly the delay.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:00 am

shredingskin wrote: Yes, kickstarters need time and it practically a tacit agreement that the dates on the KS mean nothing.

I don't know why Shenmue is pretty much the only game that people expect to follow it through.

In Shenmue III case is particularly tough because since day one the release window was unrealistic. Here you have a small team of developers from two gens ago trying to get to grips with UE4 while hiring a lot of rookie staffers and expecting to drop a fully polished open world game within 2 years. Still, I would like to know how the budget is doing and how much the delay might hurt finance others parts of the game.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby JohnBlack » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:26 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I'm gonna try be a bit more optimistic, here is an example of kickstarter done right.

Around 2.5M in funds and it looks ridiculously amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRrURnngb0

ESTIMATED DELIVERY
Dec 2015 :lol:

We just need to give them time. SEGA and others might join in the future.

Its really hard to compare SIII and Kingdom Come, because guys who developing Kingdom Come is way more experienced in modern games.
JohnBlack

Postby darksniper » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:20 pm

south carmain wrote:

I agree. Especially for someone with Yu Suzuki's pedigree and his demands. If I recall he said it would take about 10 million for him to really make the type of Shenmue III he wants.

If resources is what's holding the game back, I don't see why Sega could not step in and provide whatever support that Suzuki needs. At the end of the day it's Sega's IP that's on the line and they're the reason why Shenmue III had to go through Kickstarter in the first place. Essentially they left Suzuki out to make chicken salad out of _________ (fill in the blanks).

It's fantastic that Sony stepped in and provided support for the game, I thank the gaming gods above for what they did. But technically Shenmue III is not their IP nor their responsibility. If Sega stepped in and provided full support for Shenmue III, it would ease a lot of doubts anyone might have on the game. Shenmue's long term sustainability hinges on the support that Sega is willing to give to their IP. I really hope that Yu Suzuki doesn't have to get Kickstarter money for Shenmue IV and possibly V.

With that said it's the 3rd, time to fire up my twitter so I can do what I can to put that pressure on Sega to do right by their IP.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Asking SEGA is pointless. I don't blame them. Shenmue lost them a lot of money. They see it as a fan funded game. they let Yu do it. They feel their part is done. if Shenmue III makes any money they get some and lost nothing. That said retro revivals and nostalgia based KS games are white hot. I would not mind if they reduced the next Sonic budget and put a little of that towards Shenmue III. It won't happen so I will settle for Shenmue HD on PS4 and PC.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III