Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:31 pm

darksniper wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:
I believe it was mentioned by a few how Shenmue 3 should resemble an art style closer to the Yakuza games/Shenmue online. While I can understand and appreciate that, it's not anything I expected for this project to fulfil, I think that it's an unfair limitation to place on it due to the difference in the games budget as well as really restrictive from a development perspective if Yu-san and the team indeed wanted to challenge/change from that.

Yep. It was me who said that. I still believe that Yakuza should be the graphical benchmark for Shenmue III. Especially in terms of character models. The reason why I say that is because while I have no proof of it, it looks like Yakuza used Shenmue as their base for aesthetic designs and specifically character models. I get the sense that whatever graphics and shading tools they used on Shenmue was directly carried over into Yakuza's development cycle. Kazuma Kiryu's PS2 model looks like he would be a companion that would accompany Ryo in Shenmue V or something.

I don't look at it as "restrictive" so to speak, as I think it's a matter of Yu simply picking up where he left off. While I'm not too fond of the new character models, the words described from the guy who said he saw the game was that "Shenmue III is beautiful", so I'm not too worried about it. I'm confident that Ryo's character model will be fine, along with the others. If Kid Nocon can give us an accurate looking Ryo working as a one man development team, I'm sure development team will get it right.

My biggest concern is the fighting mechanics. I really REALLY hope they continue to use the Virtua Fighter style of fighting. Anything else would feel unnatural

Wasn't quoting anyone specifically, just noticed a few people brought it up during the streams :-). I've given Yakuza a second chance from playing 3 till 5 and I absolutely love the franchise now but I still actively dislike Yak1 with a passion that I will take with me to the grave dammit!
xD (only went 1/3 through it) and the presentation (graphics, openworld, English VO) was just awful, and not in an endearing way either imo. I know it's unfair to compare shenmue 1&2 to yak1 but shenmue was just leaps and bounds better than it and that was shocking considering there's a 7ish gap between them.

Agreed kid nocon has works wonders, and thankfully I hear that UE4 is considerably more widespread in Japan right now so hopefully their's no shortage of devs with that background like there once was.

As a once huge fighting game enthusiast I agree with you on the fighting mechanics, (ive mentioned this before but) it's really hard for any game of any budget to nail how a fighting feels. There's response, animations & blending them from one move to another, weight, maybe even physics to consider. It sounds really ambitious what Yu-san wants to achieve with animations that change depending on the distance of the foe. I wonder if they'll keep the same 90 degree camera angle from shenmue 1 and 2 (which I quite like because it's like a traditional fighting game) though if Yu-san wants to create scenarios where you can direct the battle to another environment like an alleyway maybe it won't be (or would allow you to lock-on/off from that perspective) though I'm sure the team is well equipped and experienced to take on the challenge.

(Have you ever tried Yakuza: Black Panther on PSP? I felt like the fighting in that game shares some similarities to shenmue's. Heck I think it's better than the mainline yakuza games fighting... :-p)

Side note: seems to be some murmurs for a splinter cell 7 this e3, please be true that'd be once e3 dream fulfilled if so! :-D (although I'm a little frightened in the direction ubisoft would take it.) Also I've heard a few things about an Microsoft/Sega collaboration? Hmmmm I wonder what if true (my brain is jumping to conclusions with dreamcast emulation lmao I wish)

FlagshipFighter has received 2 thanks from: Amihama0468, darksniper
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenmueLegacy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:
Just my thoughts on all this, thought it might've be worth reiterating here. Really excited to see more down the road, very patient for 3, kinda impatient for 1 and 2 HD :-p Hoping for the Rice Digital rumour to come to fruition and that Shenmue HD is on track for this year (failing that please just announce the game, YOU ARE TEARING ME APART SEGA!)

We're almost there everyone! :-D

Amen. I don't give a damn if SEGA needs another 1, 2, or more years to release Shenmue HD... but just announce the dang thing already at E3 this year. It's now or never.

ShenmueLegacy has received 3 thanks from: Amihama0468, celsowm, FlagshipFighter
ShenmueLegacy
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 pm

In my old home, I collected gaming mags for most of my young life. They are all in a trunk at my parents home...visiting today i found this:

Wonder what value it has, haha

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Sentimental value ;)

The official Dreamcast mag was always a great read back in the day. Solid magazine.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Valascaziel wrote: In my old home, I collected gaming mags for most of my young life. They are all in a trunk at my parents home...visiting today i found this:

Wonder what value it has, haha

Last I checked DC mags sells for about 20-40 bucks on Ebay. That was a couple years ago. I have a few issues but sadly no Shenmue issue. So not worth much. It's more sentimental as above posted.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Bluecast wrote:Last I checked DC mags sells for about 20-40 bucks on Ebay. That was a couple years ago. I have a few issues but sadly no Shenmue issue. So not worth much. It's more sentimental as above posted.

I thought you were pulling our legs. I checked and most issues are listed for $15-$30 on eBay. There were a few "lots" of the magazine collection that looked complete with demo discs listed from $130-$180. I had no idea that these magazines were going for so much. As I have a completed set myself, I'm tempted to sell just to make room. It's not like I'm going to read them again or play the demos. Heck, if Shenmue HD Collection is announced for PS4, I'll probably be getting rid of my Dreamcast finally.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Are you serious? I have every issue of ODCM until they went out of print / business.

I have gaming magazines(Nintendo Power, GamePro, etc.) going back yo the late 80s. I'll have to look into this.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Telekill wrote:
Bluecast wrote:Last I checked DC mags sells for about 20-40 bucks on Ebay. That was a couple years ago. I have a few issues but sadly no Shenmue issue. So not worth much. It's more sentimental as above posted.

I thought you were pulling our legs. I checked and most issues are listed for $15-$30 on eBay. There were a few "lots" of the magazine collection that looked complete with demo discs listed from $130-$180. I had no idea that these magazines were going for so much. As I have a completed set myself, I'm tempted to sell just to make room. It's not like I'm going to read them again or play the demos. Heck, if Shenmue HD Collection is announced for PS4, I'll probably be getting rid of my Dreamcast finally.

That price was unexpected to say the least.

Frankly I’m in a similar position. I still have all my DC merchandise/ memorabilia, but am more than hesitant to get rid of any of it.

On the one hand, this stuff really doesn’t take that much space (a few magazines, a console, some games/imports/ etc), but encapsulates one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. On the other…I don’t really expect to actually use any of it in the future.

I suppose that going down the smart (yet cold) route would involve selling all this stuff… and using those funds to continue Shenmue’s legacy on PS4. We’ll see.

...I wouldn’t mind getting rid of my old Gamecube though, haha!
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:28 pm

I still like to collect gaming mags. My oldest issue is 1992. So I was 9 then. I have retroactively bought a couple but most the ones I have I grew up getting. When Nintendo Power ended I bought 2 copies. One is still sealed and they sell for a bit these days. I do subscribe to Retro Magazine and Nintendo Force which replaced Nintendo Power.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Telekill » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:21 pm

punkmanced wrote:...I wouldn’t mind getting rid of my old Gamecube though, haha!

I regret selling my Gamecube. I got rid of it when I got the Wii that had Gamecube support. Problem is that the Wii was a waste of space and I only have Zelda Twilight Princess on Gamecube left. Wish I still had some of my Gamecube games like Mario Sunshine and Soul Calibur 2, but alas... I got rid of them to make room. I'm hoping that the Nintendo Switch will have a proper virtual console eventually that goes up to the Gamecube days and I can get my favorites from that era.

Bluecast wrote: I still like to collect gaming mags. My oldest issue is 1992. So I was 9 then. I have retroactively bought a couple but most the ones I have I grew up getting. When Nintendo Power ended I bought 2 copies. One is still sealed and they sell for a bit these days. I do subscribe to Retro Magazine and Nintendo Force which replaced Nintendo Power.

I used to collect all sorts of gaming magazines. I had GamePro issues, EGM... even Sega Visions. Sadly, getting bumped around as a child with so many moves, I lost track of my box of magazines. I can only assume they were thrown out along with some of my favorite childhood toys (Jurassic Park and Crash Dummies).

Telekill has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby ConanTheKing » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 pm

I think the problem is that the key players of this project are veterans of the industry who havn't had much AAA development experience in the past decade.

They are no Shigeru Miyamoto or Hideo Kojima, people who have been constantly working on high profile projects. As some guy mentioned before, Yu Suzuki's most recent game was in 2003 or something like that. Technology for making a game has changed and that will be difficult for the development team to adapt to.

And if you don't believe that there are challenges with catching up to new technology then please read what Shigeru Miyamoto had to say about entering the HD era one console generation after the Xbox and Playstation did it:

"When it comes to the scale of software development, Wii U with HD graphics requires about twice the human resources than before."

"We may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result, the overall software development took more time than originally anticipated just as we tried to polish the software at the completion phase of development... "We are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called 'Nintendo Web Framework.' "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... d42f995294
ConanTheKing
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:32 am

phpBB [video]

Since the game is getting delayed, can YS hire some warhorse studios devs? They made this with 2.5M.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:43 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Kingdom Come

Since the game is getting delayed, can YS hire some warhorse studios devs? They made this with 2.5M.

They also have been picked up by a publisher.

Telekill wrote: I'll probably be getting rid of my Dreamcast finally.

How dare you say that! :lol:

I wouldn't, I love my Dreamcast, so much sentimental attachment to it. The first console I bought with my own money. :heart:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:44 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
phpBB [video]

That's impressive, I have been following this as well. It's hard to compare it with Shenmue 3 though, since Kingdom Come had been in development for some time before the kickstarter that launched in january 2014. What they had built by then had already cost about 1.5M. They are apparently funded by a czech billionaire but they needed to convince marketing people that the game was worth investing more into and that was basically the point of the kickstarter. So it's likely that the full budget has several more millions.
Gen

Postby fittersau » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:55 am

FlagshipFighter wrote:
The Fig CEO comments still has me excited, just makes the game seem that much more real and instils/reinforces a lot of confidence in that serious work is indeed happening and that it's taken seriously. .... as someone said I'm sure they'd welcome a potential Shenmue 4 campaign on their platform in the future if the opportunity were to arise!)
[/spoiler]

I am skeptical of Fig because he comes in with an ulterior motive, piggy back on Shenmue 3's popularity and use Shenmue 4 to promote his own business. Now saying this, there's no reason why a business arrangement between Fig and Ys Net couldn't be mutually beneficial but lets be serious about Fig CEO's motives.

Kickstarter took 5% of our Shenmue money, that's $316,664.75 back in June 2015. That's no chump change and for any entrepreneur, that's money worth fighting for, to simply host a public crowdfunding scheme.

If the percentage that Fig takes is well less than Kickstarter and also Fig can serve as suitable website to take in the 69,000+ ultra fans like us on funding day, then yeah, why not go with Fig and also it's associated semi-publishing services that it describes. However, given they only have a handful of games in their stable, Fig are still very much an unknown quantity.

Personally speaking if Cedric is right and Shenmue 3 sells 1,000,000 copies in the first few months, then we may not need another crowd fund. Which would be best for everyone.

fittersau has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III