Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at E3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 & E3 2017 - UPDATE - Confirmed will NOT be at

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Kiske wrote: What makes me kind of mad with this SEGA Forever service on mobiles is that Shenmue HD is supposedly on the top of every SEGA list for requested games...

But somehow they'll manage to release the whole SEGA catalogue (on mobiles) before...

Shenmue HD on god knows what... :roll:

Yeah but those games didn't have Timex watches in them.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Kiske
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Kiske » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Kiske wrote: What makes me kind of mad with this SEGA Forever service on mobiles is that Shenmue HD is supposedly on the top of every SEGA list for requested games...

But somehow they'll manage to release the whole SEGA catalogue (on mobiles) before...

Shenmue HD on god knows what... :roll:

Yeah but those games didn't have Timex watches in them.

All this suffering... because of a fancy Christmas gift!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Telekill » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 pm

sutoji wrote: I spotted a Dreamcast in the trailer!!!

I am desperately hoping for a mobile port of Shenmue 2 so I can play it portably. I really don't have time to play on my Dreamcast anymore. Since they said it would be free (including ads however which can be paid for to be removed) it looks good. Sega just want it the easy way and thats what they are doing. I wish HD remasters happen first for Shenmue so they at least make a profit.

I'm not gonna lie. If our HD remasters of Shenmue ended up being on mobile devices only... I would probably vomit.

Telekill has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:00 pm

If I can easily cast the games to my TV then I wouldn't be too bothered about a mobile Shenmue 1+2. Might be our best hope at this point.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Technophilz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:07 pm

...., as there's a much bigger problem with this Sega Forever line-up: these ports offer significantly worse performance than that of their older versions, even on more modern hardware.

Allegedly this is because these retro classics were ported over in Unity. Our Digital Foundry tech aficionado John Linneman said "Do not touch those Sega Forever games," noting that they're "lousy emulation in a Unity wrapper."

"The games are designed to run at 60 frames per second. This emulator tries to do that but drops frames resulting in something that looks more like ~45 fps or so. There are loads of dropped frames, hitches and skips," he said.

"30fps is bad, but an even, stable 30fps would have been better than this. The issue here is that it skips and stutters during gameplay. And when a notification occurs, it gets much worse. So it never plays smoothly."

Even weirder is that these low-tech titles played far better on older hardware, due to more optimised emulation. "iPhone 3GS could play those old apps at a full 60fps while iPhone 6S+ with the new apps cannot," Linneman explained.

He postulated that another emulator, RetroArch, would have been a much better fit for the project, though its developer Libretro said it couldn't reach an agreement with Sega on its terms of service.

"Sorry to all the people that are experiencing subpar performance with this Unity thing," the RetroArch devs tweeted. "They could have been using RetroArch right now if they hadn't been so stubbornly insistent on demanding we relicense our entire program to something that would strip us of all our rights, on top of some other unreasonable things like not showing any branding, etc. Hell, they could have had this running on the desktop right now on top of consoles and maybe some netplay as well. Oh well..."

Source: Eurogamer.net

Pure stupidity ... I'd prefer NOT to see Shenmue suffer in such a horrible way ...

Technophilz has received 2 thanks from: Amihama0468, FlagshipFighter
Technophilz
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue IIx

Postby south carmain » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 pm

lol GG SEGA
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kintor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Technophilz wrote: Source: Eurogamer.net

Pure stupidity ... I'd prefer NOT to see Shenmue suffer in such a horrible way ...

I can't say that I agree with that Eurogamer article, reads more like hit-piece than anything else. People need to stop giving those RetroArch guys attention, they're just unhappy they never got the lucrative contract with Sega and have been bad mouthing Sega Forever since day one. I would respect Eurogamer a lot more if they didn't include RetroArch in their article, but it's just example of the declining quality of Eurogamer as they focus on more drama-filled and click-bait stories.

Personally, I've tried both Altered Beast and Comix Zone so far (I already own Sonic 1) and haven't noticed any of the performance issues that Eurogamer described. I'm using a Note 4, which is a three year old phone at this point. It could be different with the iOS versions but in my experience any recent Android phone shouldn't have any trouble running these games.

Now granted, the sound emulation isn't perfect but that's always the case with Mega Drive games. I've heard far worse examples of sound emulation over the years, so the quality of the music in Altered Beast and Comix Zone doesn't concern me. This is undoubtedly something that can be improved with more Sega Forever releases but for now, as free ad-supported Sega games, I don't think that it'll bother most players.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 am

south carmain wrote: lol GG SEGA

Crazy hey, after such a flashy inspirational video by Nagoshi...

Kintor wrote:. People need to stop giving those RetroArch guys attention, they're just unhappy they never got the lucrative contract with Sega and have been bad mouthing Sega Forever since day one.

From the article
"About 90 per cent of the games so far are in Unity," Sega Networks' chief marketing officer Mike Evans explained in an interview with GamesIndustry. "The reason we chose Unity as middleware is it enables us to take this content to other platforms as well."

Makes it very easy for them to port to consoles via Unity.
Last edited by fittersau on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:54 am

fittersau wrote:

Yeah I actually thought that there might be something interesting there, I can be very naive sometimes.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby fittersau » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:08 am

south carmain wrote:
fittersau wrote:

Yeah I actually thought that there might be something interesting there, I can be very naive sometimes.

We may still see Shenmue 1 & 2 upscaled in Unity to consoles. If the Eurogamer article is correct, then performance may not be optimal.

Upscaled on current hardware is good, full remakes are the best... :mrgreen:
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby south carmain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:49 am

That doesn't interest me in the slightest personally but it's better than nothing in terms of exposure I guess.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 am

I still hope they release Shenmue 1 & 2 HD for consoles and PC apart from this thing... :|
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby sutoji » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:32 am

Nah I support them all the way. This looks like a good idea just remember that there are options to sideload this onto a TV and use controllers making this playable outside of the phone. I already downloaded Sonic 1 which they just added and the ads are quite harmless. They only appear at the start, when it saves (act clear) and at the menu. With only 2 bucks they can be removed. Sega can get something out of this with that however I am sure people will find a way to hack this and remove ads without paying as Android is known to stuff like this with rooting apps and all. I very much would appreciate Shenmue 2 on this service because as I said I and possibly many others do not have time to dig out the dreamcast and spend much time anymore. Always wanted the experience portable especially as it is quite possible now. Don't worry about HD because I really don't see Sega putting effort into it. Most likely it will be direct Dreamcast ports.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:56 am

I think it would be best to use other topics to discuss Shenmue HD and the possibilities of Sega Forever and leave this one be. The E3 is done and over, not much point to go on with new stuff here.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:00 am

I don't want to hear about Shenmue on mobiles. It's beyond me.

Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III