Doing something nice for Shenmue III team

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Doing something nice for Shenmue III team

Postby RyoShenmue » Tue May 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Assuming we go the easy route, people from hense forth or in another thread linked to this, simply just put the names they want to be known by- either their real name first and or last, their forum name or some other nickname that they go by.

Or simply say "from the fans, friends, people of Shenmue Dojo" or what ever. I mean reading a long list of names where it is page after page after page may seem a bit intimidating.

Then take that and copy and paste into an electronic email or hand write it to give a more personal touch and send. Or if a petition can become a card we can just sign that ourselves and it be sent.

But to be honest I think it is best, if we are sending a fruit basket or something similar, let that card be something short and sweet "From the fans [of Shenmue] at Shenmue Dojo". No worries, no extra headaches, no worrying about if lost in transit or of they can read your hand writing. Plus a fruit basket delivery and maybe even some nice pastries can be tracked so we know they will get it.

The next concern is, how much can be raised in such a short time and is it enough to not be totally worthless, as in easily over looked and pushed to the side, but not overly done either with fifteen different things to over whelm them.

I personally think we should get them something from with in the game world. Like flowers saying "From Nozomi's Flower shop, by the fans of Shenmue Dojo" [-o< or what ever it is called. This is of course if the real flower shop does not mind. But you can basically say what ever you want on the card, but I think it gives it a nice flare to an otherwise mundane gift. Were there any fruit sellers in Shemue 1? If just a fruit basket use the name of that shop from us.

Edit: And obviously, as the last poster said, anything that is not hand crafted and especially perishable needs to be sent with in or at least ordered from Japan. That is a no brainer.

RyoShenmue has received a thanks from: Himuro
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Yokosuka » Tue May 16, 2017 10:35 pm

iyapol wrote:
Spaghetti wrote:
iyapol wrote: A nice gesture, but I think they can treat themselves with the $6,000,000+ we gave them.

I'm not sure I understand the thought process here.

The monetary value of whatever we give them doesn't actually matter, it's more of a morale thing.

I'm just unsure why people feel the need to thank the team for something they're being paid millions of dollars to do. But each to their own.

There no need, it's a free gesture.
If your approach is that utilitarian, this kind of gesture is welcomed in the situation where some employees might forget for what and who they're acting, and that's easy to do so when you keep working behind four walls for months. There's that "Thank Yu" picture hang on the wall somewhere in a YSnet office but these tricks easily lose their meaning impact over time.

The only drawback I can see here is the potential opposite effect it may bring. YSnet is not a soccer team, they're creative minds backed by a workforce of technicians. Put excessive pressure on their shoulders might lead to a bland game made by people scared of negative criticism. FFXV is the most recent example of that (and used Agile methodology like Shenmue 3 by the way). But I think it's not worth doing nothing.

Thanks Himuro for the initiative.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Himuro » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 pm

RyoShenmue wrote:Like flowers saying "From Nozomi's Flower shop, by the fans of Shenmue Dojo"

This is really cute. By the way, the name is Aida Florist. I like the idea of a fruit basket, flowers, some beer for the whole team (Spag's can verify how many they have on the team), and a card.

I would like to do the same for Shibuya Productions, who has backed Shenmue III at a significant risk - there would be no Shenmue III without them. And, although people haven't been eye to eye with them, Awesome Japan as well.

Himuro has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby RyoShenmue » Wed May 17, 2017 1:22 am

If someone tells you $6 mil (not to mention all the other sales) is not motivation enough, someone is lying to you, they are lying to your face! :---) Arguably not one single person is getting the whole 6 mil, maybe none of them, except for buying/creating a new game engine, workstations to work on, promotionals when they come, etc., but still.

I can see where everyone on the one side is saying let's do this! Let's be nice! Let's be generous! Let's show them we care! :heart:

But I can also see where the other side, although less common or more to the point, probably too afraid to speak up, :-# seem less grateful. But we are not less grateful, only understanding that money from our pockets is reward enough or should be reward enough. [-(

But I wont lie and say it is not nice to feel noticed beyond the norm either. They or at least some development teams work extremely long hours, especially the last few months of crunch time and may work up to 12 to 16 hours in a day. Some people just prefer to sleep at work and not even bother making the trip home. They miss loved ones, among a slew of other problems.

Then again, 6 mil and all the sigs from all the fans eager for another game should of showed them, but maybe that is more eagerness for a game then actually caring. But then again how often do people show game developers or publishers that they truly care? :-k

I personally like Art Dink (Tale of the Sun, No One Can Stop Mr. Domino), Pysgnosis (Colony Wars and G-Police), Atlus (Persona, Brigandine, Guilty Gear, Kartia), Working Designs (Alundra, Lunar Silver Star Story, RayCrisis, Silhouette Mirage). Some of these are gone, while others merged and no way to actually say thank you any more... :oops:

To me... art, fan fics or even crafts is more appreciable then just a fruit basket and card, since that takes time to create, more love, care and thought was put into it and can be appreciated more. But I am not sure how talented we are as a whole.

Anyway, I am not sure "beer" is the best thing to send though... I am not much for giving alcohol and cigarettes to people. Always been against it, even if I could of turned a profit my self... Besides, we do not want Ryo to sound like Snake when he gets older, even if he can still kick ass. :rotflmao:

Edit: And I will have to research the other two groups you mentioned. And although this is already a ridiculously long wall of text... ](*,) let me finish by adding, obviously trying to turn a profit, but also making it for the fans. There are easier projects, new and old to work on that can bring just as much money if not more quicker then a cash cow, but they are making this game out of all games. No doubt Y wants to actually complete his legacy, but with out fans, what is a legacy?
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Anonymous81 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:51 am

Sign me up for whatever ya'll decide to do!
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby Telekill » Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am

It's a great idea to be sure; showing extra support. Everyone enjoys being appreciated as I'm sure this team would as well. That said, I'm tapped out of resources at the moment and cannot contribute beyond adding a thank you in written form.

Telekill has received a thanks from: Himuro
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Jibby » Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 am

To simplify things, maybe we could use an online gift basket service based in Japan (eg http://www.giftbasketsjapan.jp/) and set the delivery address to the YS NET offices. I'm pretty sure these websites let you send a little message along with the basket and we could keep it short and sweet by writing something along the lines of "Dear Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue III team, thank you for everything you do, from your friends at the Shenmue Dojo".

Thoughts?

Jibby has received a thanks from: Himuro
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

I like that. We could make a concession due to expense.

Ideally I'd like to:

- buy the fruit basket AND the flowers from there
- card addressed to BOTH Ys Net and Awesome Japan
- wine but not from there

We should pool our money together. I want to make a gofundme so we can make this really be a Shenmue fan effort. It'll be easier to pool our money too.

How about,"To the Shenmue III team and Awesome Japan, thank you for all of your effort, love, and everything you do. We recognize the team is working hard and sacrificing much to bring us their best. You have our full support and love. From your friends at Shenmue Dojo"?

We still need to do something nice for Cedric. We would not be getting this game if not for Shibuya and they have done this at a great risk. Do they have offices in Japan or just in France? If they have offices in Japan, we can add them to the card. We can ask Cedric when the next time he'll be in Japan to check in on YS Net will be and have it shipped during that time frame.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Jibby
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I like it. Would definitely throw some money into a GoFundMe. It's worth having a look around at Japanese gift basket websites too so we can see if there's any better deals. That site was just the first result from Google.
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed May 17, 2017 1:52 pm

We should start a gofundme later today.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby yuc02 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Jibby wrote: To simplify things, maybe we could use an online gift basket service based in Japan (eg http://www.giftbasketsjapan.jp/) and set the delivery address to the YS NET offices. I'm pretty sure these websites let you send a little message along with the basket and we could keep it short and sweet by writing something along the lines of "Dear Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue III team, thank you for everything you do, from your friends at the Shenmue Dojo".

Thoughts?

Sounds like great idea to me. We could get a card too? In which case maybe get switch to take both to the ebisu address?

Either way I'll contribute
yuc02
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: yuc2002

Postby RyoShenmue » Wed May 17, 2017 3:47 pm

yuc02 wrote:
Jibby wrote: To simplify things, maybe we could use an online gift basket service based in Japan (eg http://www.giftbasketsjapan.jp/) and set the delivery address to the YS NET offices. I'm pretty sure these websites let you send a little message along with the basket and we could keep it short and sweet by writing something along the lines of "Dear Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue III team, thank you for everything you do, from your friends at the Shenmue Dojo".

Thoughts?

Sounds like great idea to me. We could get a card too? In which case maybe get switch to take both to the ebisu address?

Either way I'll contribute

If it is hand delivered I want some one dressed as Nozomi delivering flowers, Lan Di asking about a mirror delivering a fruit basket and Ryo delivering a card asking about a black car. :king:
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Wed May 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Found a site that has a fruit basket with two bottles of wine in the basket. It's truly perfect. 159 dollars too. It's a steal.

http://www.yongsgift.com/by-region/gift ... japan.html

And flowers for 69.

http://www.yongsgift.com/by-region/gift ... an-01.html

All we need now is the card.
Last edited by Himuro on Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm

That's perfect!

Jibby has received a thanks from: Himuro
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Let's go all out with the card. Let's have Shenmue fan art for the cover of the card (I can draw something if we don't find anything).

Someone please ask Cedric on twitter when the next time he'll be in Japan at the YS Net offices? Tell him we have a special and delightful surprise for him as fans of the series.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III