Martial arts styles

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Martial arts styles

Postby Fatal Rose » Thu May 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Which martial art styles would like to see featured in Shenmue 3?

So far we have...
Pigua Zhang
BaJiQuan
TaiJiQuan
Jeet Kune Do
Pro Wrestling
Tiger Swallow (that Lau Chan style)
Mongolian wrestling (should be expanded upon)
Iron Thrust
Acrobatics
Passive raid
Mizongquan

I'm sure I'm leaving a few out. Hopefully we get a chance to encounter these arts/fighters again in Shenmue 3.

I'd personally would love to see a proper Karate style. I know Ryo has many traditional Okinawa Karate moves but It'd still be nice though having a character properly represent something like Shotokan Karate.

I'd also like to see CaiLiFo, Bagua, WingChun, Xingyiquan, HungGa, and maybe more cross over styles from Virtua fighter?
Fatal Rose
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Martial arts styles

Postby shredingskin » Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 pm

I think Wing Chun will be featured (well, I remember something about chinese boxing in the talk YS did at China, can't remember if it was actually wingchun).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby RyoShenmue » Fri May 19, 2017 12:14 am

I practiced Wing Chun for a little while. From my understanding there is nothing fancy about it. No high kicks, spinning back fists, no flying dragon kicks, etc. [-( Just direct fast continuous flurry of punches while always stepping forward, possibly stepping on an opponents knees to break them, never retreating, sticky hands/palms, etc. Granted there is probably more than that, but that is the basis of it. It certainly is not very flashy. [-X

Personally, and one of my greatest apprehensions of Shenmue 3, due to part 2's ending (Plus not being in Japan anymore. :sad: ) is the Hadoken fire ball. I think the matter was worsened when the trailer for Shenmue Online came out and everyone and their mother was "charging" up. 8-[ My love of Shenmue was due to it's realism, not Street Fighter/Dragon Ball Z fantasy... =; I prefer authenticity or as close as possible in a game, or Shenmue anyway.
RyoShenmue
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Fatal Rose » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:28 am

RyoShenmue wrote: I practiced Wing Chun for a little while. From my understanding there is nothing fancy about it. No high kicks, spinning back fists, no flying dragon kicks, etc. [-( Just direct fast continuous flurry of punches while always stepping forward, possibly stepping on an opponents knees to break them, never retreating, sticky hands/palms, etc. Granted there is probably more than that, but that is the basis of it. It certainly is not very flashy. [-X

Personally, and one of my greatest apprehensions of Shenmue 3, due to part 2's ending (Plus not being in Japan anymore. :sad: ) is the Hadoken fire ball. I think the matter was worsened when the trailer for Shenmue Online came out and everyone and their mother was "charging" up. 8-[ My love of Shenmue was due to it's realism, not Street Fighter/Dragon Ball Z fantasy... =; I prefer authenticity or as close as possible in a game, or Shenmue anyway.

If the game has fireballs, I’ll personally feel betrayed. Hopefully that Shenmue online Crap won’t be in this game!

Even though wingchun doesn’t have flashy kicks, it’d still be super interesting seeing it in Shenmue! No one does martial arts better than Sega!
Fatal Rose

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:42 am

Fatal Rose wrote:
RyoShenmue wrote: I practiced Wing Chun for a little while. From my understanding there is nothing fancy about it. No high kicks, spinning back fists, no flying dragon kicks, etc. [-( Just direct fast continuous flurry of punches while always stepping forward, possibly stepping on an opponents knees to break them, never retreating, sticky hands/palms, etc. Granted there is probably more than that, but that is the basis of it. It certainly is not very flashy. [-X

If the game has fireballs, I’ll personally feel betrayed. Hopefully that Shenmue online Crap won’t be in this game!

Even though wingchun doesn’t have flashy kicks, it’d still be super interesting seeing it in Shenmue! No one does martial arts better than Sega!

I wouldn't have a problem with fireballs (the correct word is energy ball!) if it's some magical creature or magic master using them and not Ryo. If you include magic into Shenmue along with the martial arts, story and everything else then it becomes a lot more intriguing and exciting.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby KidMarine » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am

There's not going to be fireballs. There's going to be some mysticism for sure, but no Dragon Ball Z moves.

There were fireballs in Shenmue Online because MMOs need range attacks.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ys » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Fatal Rose wrote:I'd also like to see CaiLiFo, Bagua, WingChun, Xingyiquan, HungGa, and maybe more cross over styles from Virtua fighter?

Wing Chun : http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewto ... 48&t=49406
I used to practice some Hung Gar and it's also less flashy. Both are Southern Chinese styles if I remember correctly. I was told that Northern styles had higher kicks and differed because the environment was less urban. As for the knee, did you mean the Shadowless Kick? I think that both styles use this.

There probably won't be (many?) fireballs. Yu said before that this was mostly for online gameplay and that he would like to keep Shenmue 3 mystical but not with outright constant magic. More along the lines of internal energy I guess?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to Shenmue III